Coffee anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond-servant

Puritan Board Sophomore
Probably everyone has heard about the Iowa woman that found a turtle in her Foldgers blend a few weeks ago.

At our house, we brew a lot of starbucks breakfast blend and house blend - especially on the weekends. Foldgers WAS a good weekday coffee...!

Sooo, what ARE your favorite coffee brands and blends?
------------

AINSWORTH, Iowa "” Marjorie Morris just wanted to pour coffee into a canister. What she found in the package of freeze-dried coffee left her shell-shocked.

Morris, 77, of Ainsworth, found a dead baby turtle in the 2-pound package of Folgers coffee last Sunday.

"I thought it was a toy at first," said Morris, 77, of Ainsworth.

Morris said she had been making coffee from the same package for a month before she made the discovery.

"It's a responsibility of the company to check their shipments closer," she said. "It could be much more serious."

Morris said she doesn't plan to file a lawsuit against Folgers.

She said a customer service representative for the company dismissed the find, explaining that because many Folgers plants are based in New Orleans the turtle might have ended up in the coffee as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Sussane Dussing, a spokeswoman for Procter & Gamble, the company that owns the Folgers brand, said it's too early to say how the turtle ended up in the coffee.

Dussing said she wasn't aware of other similar incidents and that Morris' discovery would be investigated.

Morris, who has kept the turtle, said she would continue to drink coffee, but that she is now a more mindful consumer.

Things could have been worse, she said.

"It could've been a snake."

I saw on one of those "20/20" or "Dateline" shows a segment doing blind taste tests for coffee to see what people actually liked best. They sent representatives from the coffee companies to participate too, and the guy from Folgers was such a wimp he refused to take the taste test in fear that he might give Folgers a low rating!
I think Folgers was picked last or near the bottom anyway; however, that's still the brand I use most frequently at home. "Consumer Reports" gave Folgers' "100% Columbian" a very good rating, so I'm trusting their judgment.

For everyday coffee, I use Folger's 100% Columbian blend. I break out the Starbucks beans and grind them fresh on the weekends. ;)

I go through too much coffee to use the good stuff all week.

In the winter, I also like to make a nice Chai Latte in the evenings.

We used to make 4-5 pots of coffee on weekend days and 3-4 on week days. We enjoyed a mixture of decadent dark chocolate and peppermint cream.

Now we are at what I would call the maintenance level - a cup at church during Sunday School and occasionally when we eat out, but not at home.

Our drink of choice nowadays is Roma, a blend of chicory root and roasted barley. It doesn't exactly taste like coffee, but I enjoy it, and I don't have to worry about the decaf wars. I never did get headaches leaving the regular coffee days, although I did get a bit of a brain buzz once after drinking 3 double mocha lattes and a cup of coffee one morning.

Decaf Coffee Bad for the Heart

Originally posted by Saiph
Starbuck's has turned me into a coffee fascist.

The most notable characteristic of a fascist country is the separation and persecution or denial of equality to a specific segment of the population based upon superficial qualities or belief systems.

Simply stated, a fascist government always has one class of citizens that is considered superior (good) to another (bad) based upon race, creed or origin.

So you would say that Starbucks is superior to other brands of the coffee world based, of course, on origin, and that you would not let other coffees of the world have a chance to achieve equality with their brethern? :lol:

Originally posted by pastorway
for a phunny look at the world of coffee:

Phillip's Phunnies.

:D

rofl.gif

I especially like: "You grind your coffee beans in your mouth. "
lmfao.gif

Originally posted by Saiph
Starbuck's has turned me into a coffee fascist.

I agree. They must be stamped out. :lol:

I like anything dark and strong. Tully's is good, but fairly local. Millstone works as well.

I use a one-liter french press for small jobs, but for some strange reason, I love the coffee from our 40 cup Italian stainless percolator.

Vic

LOL- Oh how I miss Seattle! It was Starbucks that turned me into a coffee junkie over a decade ago. SBC (Seattle's Best Coffee) was actually our favorite, but it changed when they got bought out by guess who? ..Starbucks!

Ironic Coffee

Any of you familiar with Seattle's Best? It is marketed here as competition for Starbucks and actually I know several people who go there because they hate Starbucks. They think they are helping the competition.

Think again.

Starbucks owns Seattle's Best!! They market it as competition but actually own both! http://www.coffeegeek.com/resources/pressreleases/sccjuly142003

That's what I was just saying in the post above yours! :bigsmile:
SBC USED to have quite a distinct taste, until they got bought out. They are not nearly as good anymore. Beans are over roasted now...

Ironic Coffee

I used to live on Vashon Island, which had one of Seattle's Best Coffee's roasteries. The building had a faded "SBC" on the side. Except that it originally stood for "Smith Brother's Coffee".

Interestingly, SBC was originally bought up by AFC (America's Favorite Chicken) before being sold to Starbucks. At that time, SBC's roastery on Vashon also produced a wonderful coffee branded Torrefacione.

It was truly a superior blend, but in the Starbucks sale, all of the Torre outlets were closed.

But the plot thickens even more. I have heard recently that SBC and Torre are now owned by something called "Focus Brands".

I think the coffee world is starting to make old Machiavelli look like a tame tea-drinker.

Vic

Originally posted by bond-servant

Sooo, what ARE your favorite coffee brands and blends?
------------

Usually whatever is offered to me free is my favorite:detective:

[Edited on 11-21-2005 by Gregg]

I like the Lightnote and the Breakfast Blends from Starbucks, but also the House and Columbia Antigua.

I call 'em Starbeast. I mean it in an idealist sense of course.

Sumatra! Hey, how come after the tsunami we didn't get turtles in our Sumatra? What's up with that? I feel turtle-deprived. I recommend that Folgers come out with Katrina Blend!

Originally posted by turmeric
I call 'em Starbeast. I mean it in an idealist sense of course.

Sumatra! Hey, how come after the tsunami we didn't get turtles in our Sumatra? What's up with that? I feel turtle-deprived. I recommend that Folgers come out with Katrina Blend!

:lol:

:sing:
"Chock Full O' Nuts is the heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee, heavenly
coffee... Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back