Citizen Soldier - 3 Doors Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's propaganda in the same way a McDonald's commercial is propaganda. They're not going to show you someone who is unhealthy due to eating too many Big Macs, and the National Guard isn't going to show the possible downsides to joining up.

Of course the film is meant to fire people up. Do you really think they're going to show some fat guy pushing papers in an office to recruit for the National Guard?

As I noted in another thread, the Marines do "propaganda" better than any. Truman said that we had a propaganda machine that rivalled Stalin's.

I can honestly say that I like the way the Army is now targeting youth compared to the yesteryear commercials about how much education money and other goodies you'll get out of serving. The Marines have always had a "We Don't Promise you a Rose Garden" hard sell and it attracts the right crowd. I like the type of crowd that this commercial goes after: a red-blooded, meat eatin' average American kid. No limp wrists need apply.

A Sergeant Major I used to work with at 2nd Battalion, 10th Marines was a 16 year Sergeant Major and had been the First Sergeant at Camp David for the first Bush presidency. He was a stud. The only reason I could run faster than he was that I was 24 and he had a knee operation years earlier. He once ran a 100-mile race just to see if he could do it.

Anyway, I still see a few pics of him on the recruiting pics. They don't put guys like me on them. I'm thin but I don't have the bone structure or physique for a recruiting poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back