Chance of OPC and PCA union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that there are any American Presbyterian church unions seriously viable at this point.

Andrew, is that simply a bit of a despairing remark on your behalf? I assume so. I would agree that a segment of the PCA might have such a sentiment (union with the EPC). I suppose the question is how significant a segment. I would ask your opinion on that but that might derail the thread and properly belong elsewhere. I would especially be interested to know what Wayne would think of that, but, again, probably a different post.

Peace,
Alan

Do you think that is an option? ARP and PCA are much similar. The EPC is semi-Arminian and charismatic

Disparaging? No. It is what is being talked about by the so-called 'higher ups' and has been for years. That's the way they are wanting to move. And by their actions over the past few years seems to be growing traction.

Also, the so-called National Parternship is heavily working to move things this way as well and they have been quite vocal as well in their desire.

Disparaging?

He said 'despairing' not 'disparaging'.

-----

It is clear that the reins of power are held by folks who we would have labeled as 'liberals' in the PCUS in the 1960s. So many of the new ideas and new directions sound very familiar.

The parallels are depressing; and not just those; a huge factor is the character of the congregant. The PCUS on a host of issues rotted from the grassroots up. Lord's day observance is the prime example of this. The PCUS year after year for 50 60 years bemoaned the lack of fidelity in reports from their Lord's day committee (yes! they actually had a GA committee to promote Lord's day observance). The PCA? After a good statement in 1976 not much. The PCA is basically antisabbatarian; about as unPresbyterian as you can get by any measurement.
It is clear that the reins of power are held by folks who we would have labeled as 'liberals' in the PCUS in the 1960s. So many of the new ideas and new directions sound very familiar.

Thanks, Edward. I am glad that someone caught that I was not suggesting that Andrew was "disparaging" his own denomination, though he might be somewhat "despairing" if he's distressed about matters internal to it.

Peace,
Alan

I concur that many in the OPC would be concerned that a merger would introduce wider doctrines and practices they would see as a threat to their Presbyterian ideals and culture. And many in the PCA would be concerned that a merger might tighten freedoms they enjoy within the PCA and bring in more pastors who try to tell them how they must run their churches. That's how many folks would think about it. And being the case, I don't think a merger is likely in the near future. The axiom that good fences make good neighbors seems to be the rule. It feels as if we can be better friends, and more cooperative with each other, as separate denominations.

And with broader evangelical churches? Evangelical Covenant Church or Evangelical Free Church. The ECC roots are Reformed. Isn't it?

Evangelical Covenant Church

ECC is Lutheran in origin, congregational in origin, and non-confessional. They would seem a poor match for any Presbyterian group. Or are you asking whether the two Lutheran congregational churches might merge.

asking whether the two Lutheran congregational churches might merge.

I know that Evangelical Free Ch and Evangelical Covenant Ch was one they separated in the 20th century but I don't know the differences. The ECC has fraternal relations with its Swedish mother church the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden wich is a Reformed church member of the World Communion of Reformed Churches.See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Covenant_Church_of_Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back