Bible Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Who else besides Gill has wrote a verse by verse commentary on the entire Bible? I was just wondering.

jm

I may be mistaken, but here are some commentators on the whole Bible, to name a few (I'm certain there are more),...

Adam Clarke
John Trapp
John Diodati
John Mayer
Johannes Piscator
Robert Hawker
Charles John Ellicott
John Canne
Victorinus Strigel
Ludovici de Dieu
David Martin
Antoine Augustin Calmet
William Dodd
Robert Goadby
George Holden

And I don't know if you want to include John Brown of Haddington's Self-Interpreting Bible or Cotton Mather's Biblia Americana or Christopher Ness' A Compleat History and Mystery of the Old and New Testament.

Henry and others would sometimes commentate on passages. Gill commented on every single verse particularly and, as far as I know, is the only one to have ever done so.

Praise the Lord for men that have labored before us.

I think Henry's commentary was completed by one or two others.

As far as I can tell Gill is still the only one to do a verse by verse on the whole Bible...interesting.

I think even though Matthew Poole did not complete his own commentary, his Synopsis Criticorum ought to count. I am somewhat surprised Andrew, of all people, did not mention this work. The amount of work that went into that set is at least as much as writing one's own commentary would have been, even though the comments are all by other people.

I think even though Matthew Poole did not complete his own commentary, his Synopsis Criticorum ought to count. I am somewhat surprised Andrew, of all people, did not mention this work. The amount of work that went into that set is at least as much as writing one's own commentary would have been, even though the comments are all by other people.

Lane, don't you know it is not a good idea to question Andrew's near-omniscience? ;)

Lane, don't you know it is not a good idea to question Andrew's near-omniscience? ;)
Good one!:lol::lol::lol:

On a serious note, I have never read Gill, is there somewhere online I can check him out?:book2:

What about the number of commentators Andrew listed in the third post?

I know Clarke didn't write a verse by verse commentary, I just looked and he skipps verses, the others I couldn't find online and know little about. Over the past few years I've heard it stated in sermons and read that Gill is the only one to complete a verse by verse without skipping any.

On a serious note, I have never read Gill, is there somewhere online I can check him out?

Gill's Archive

What about the number of commentators Andrew listed in the third post?

I know Clarke didn't write a verse by verse commentary, I just looked and he skipps verses, the others I couldn't find online and know little about. Over the past few years I've heard it stated in sermons and read that Gill is the only one to complete a verse by verse without skipping any.

On a serious note, I have never read Gill, is there somewhere online I can check him out?

Gill's Archive
Cool! Will give that a check-out!

John Gill was the first English man to write a verse-by-verse commentary of the whole Bible.

Sounds like it's time for VirginiaHuguenot to give us the link to his John Gill biography. Oh, omnisicent one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back