Anyone seen Despereaux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVigneault

Bawberator
I'm reading the book The Tale of Despereaux to my kids right now and we are enjoying it very much. I wanted to read the book before we see the movie. It appears to have the elements that we are teaching my son, courage, honor, chivalry, etc.

In the book, Desereaux's brother Furlough uses an unfortunate euphemism (minced vow) for our Lord's name. He does this repeatedly. Has anyone seen the movie yet and is this word absent from the movie? I sure hope so.

While reading the book aloud, I replace the word with "Oh my!"

According to Plugged In Online, under Crude or Profane Language:

A surprised mouse blurts "oh my gosh!" Under her breath, Mig exclaims God's name, and she complains about a "damp, dank place" with an accent that led some in the theater to hear it as "d--n, dank ..." Name-calling includes "crazy" and "weird."

Thanks Kim, now that I think about it, Desereaux's mother is fond of saying 'Mon Dieu' in the book. I give an alternate for that as well.

We went and saw the movie Christmas Day and thought it was pretty good. My friend that also went with us said the book was better than the movie. The movie spoke about forgiveness, and what happens when greed overtakes us. We thought it had a good moral and was worth seeing. I don't remember seeing anything that offeneded me, then again I was there with 9 kids, I may have missed something. For what it is worth World Magazine gave it a good review.

Oh now Keon, are you feeling mean today or were you somehow threatened by a french fry when you were a child? ;)

Actually, being an Acadian myself, Despereaux would be a Cajun name.

My family, came to North America 10 generations ago with just the -eau ending. Those, like other Acadians, who settled in Quebec added an -lt to the end while those who stayed in the deep south added an -x.

Calvin was the exception that makes the rule.

However, I saw the movie with two of my grandkids last month. They are 8 and 5 and were so-so about it. It was OK, but nothing to write home about in my opinion.

We received the book as a Christmas gift and saw the movie first, then read the book. I prefer the book. I liked the book a great deal. It is a tale of darkness and light, of redemption, forgiveness, and a story which changes history (at least the history of the four main characters...has a lot in common with The Story of Redemption that we try to talk about with our 6 year old everyday. Clearly, it's not The Story, but a good road in with a young audience. I would recommend the book highly, but the movie less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back