advertising church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
I had thought that the idea of advertising church was fairly recent. I ran accross this criticism by Stephen Colwell from the mid-19th century. He pointed to the notices of Sunday sermons in the Saturday papers,

regularly inserted alongside of notices of quack medicines and theatrical exhibitions, announcing clerical performances of various kinds; yet you search in vain for discussions of atonement, sin, regeneration"“whilst you find an abundance of sermons on "˜Moral Beauty,´ "˜Heavenly Recognition,´ "˜Temptation;´ and any number on Kossuth, Hungary, Intervention, Union, Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Maine Liquor Law, France, Cuba, Presidential election, and all the other exciting topics of the day. And should some faithful old Calvinist advertise a discourse on "˜Predestination,´ some of his own congregation would stay at home, and others would fear the old man was getting a little unbalanced in his old age.

[Edited on 10-17-2005 by Scott]

After a Christian is coverted he is beyond temptation, so no need.

Just kidding.

I just posted, as it was interesting to me that there was even advertising at all back then. Today's advertising does not include doctrinal content, even of the limited variety described above (eg. sermons on the Maine Liquor Law). Rather, focus tends to be on things like entertainment options for the kids (". . . and the kids will love our neon Jungle Gym!"), music ("contemporary and upbeat!"), therapeutic services ("learn to balance your budget, not procastinate, and more"), and the like. When sermons are mentioned, usually not the specific content, so much as statements like "practical and relevant teaching."

[Edited on 10-17-2005 by Scott]

I think "advertising" of this sort probably goes back at least to the First Great Awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back