A. A. Hodge's "Outlines of Theology"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Hi, all.

Has anyone read Hodge's Outlines of Theology? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Right now, I am doing a dual reading plan of the Bible and Calvin's Institutes. However, I wanted to read something else a little more leisurely in the area of systematics that is more like an actual systematics textbook. Hodge's book seems to be very well-written and helpful, not mention fairly comprehensive.

Any thoughts on the book? Anyone read it or used it?

…his outlines are easy to use for teaching classes.

This is something I was particularly thinking about. There is a chance I could be teaching an undergraduate-level introduction to theology in the near future, and I am wondering what to use not only to assign the students as a textbook, but to use for myself as I begin outlining a curriculum. I doubt I would use this as a textbook (except in excerpts, I suppose), but it might be great for, well, "outlining" the material for the class.

This is something I was particularly thinking about. There is a chance I could be teaching an undergraduate-level introduction to theology in the near future, and I am wondering what to use not only to assign the students as a textbook, but to use for myself as I begin outlining a curriculum. I doubt I would use this as a textbook (except in excerpts, I suppose), but it might be great for, well, "outlining" the material for the class.

I probably wouldnt use it as a textbook. But for outlining certain loci, he's probably a good place to start.

I probably wouldnt use it as a textbook.

I know this is off topic, but you've read far more than I have, so I have to ask. Any suggestions here as to what you personally might assign as an undergraduate-level systematics text?

Hi, all.

Has anyone read Hodge's Outlines of Theology? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Right now, I am doing a dual reading plan of the Bible and Calvin's Institutes. However, I wanted to read something else a little more leisurely in the area of systematics that is more like an actual systematics textbook. Hodge's book seems to be very well-written and helpful, not mention fairly comprehensive.

Any thoughts on the book? Anyone read it or used it?

I read it earlier this year. To cut a long story short, my thoughts are basically the same as your initial impressions. Also, I once heard Rev. Ted Donnelly say that it was a book that was easily overlooked, but it should not be. I agree; it is vastly under-rated.

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but you've read far more than I have, so I have to ask. Any suggestions here as to what you personally might assign as an undergraduate-level systematics text?
Are you looking for a shorter one volume that is succinct or a multi-volume with more depth to it?

There is a chance I could be teaching an undergraduate-level introduction to theology in the near future...
A general college theology course (McGrath) or one oriented towards Reformation theology?

McGrath is popular in undergraduate studies in public college Departments of Religion. He also has a nice collection of readings in a separate book to accompany his basic theology texts. Which is to say, he is "safe" in this current "woke" environment. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back