Latin in Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the Banner of Truth would consider publishing a newly typeset, cloth-bound edition with the Latin translation perhaps in the text or provided in the footnotes.
I know another publisher that produces books of exceptional quality, and that also takes on academic translation projects.
As a Scotsman myself, I have reminded my Dutch friends that Scotland is known as the land of the covenant :) So perhaps Banner of Truth has this competitive advantage being headquartered in the land of the covenant :p:p

Seriously I agree with the suggestion for a new translation with the Latin translated. Another real need is for a new translation of Calvin's Institutes.

You think so? What’s wrong with the one done not even 80 years ago?
I have the Battles edition myself and have used it with great profit. But to my mind there are two issues:
1] I have been told it was translated by neo-orthodox theologians, and while many aspects of the translation are well done, I understand some of the neo-orthodox bias comes through at times, especially in the footnotes. Note: I am not an expert on this, just going by what some Reformed scholars have said.
2] There is ongoing debate as to which edition of Calvin's Institutes is the most accurate. Some say the Beverage edition. It seems to me, with the encouraging growth of Reformed scholarship in the past 40 years, there is scope for a new edition of Calvin's Institutes - one that builds on the strengths of previous editions, and hopefully minimises their weakness. Maybe it is a nice dream on my part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back