4th Comm. question - Sabbath exchanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleFaith

Puritan Board Sophomore
Many of the women in my church have various "swap shop" type groups where they will trade or buy household items from each other - kid clothes and toys, nick nacks, kitchenware, things like that. This happens over facebook, text, word of mouth, etc. This often means that the actual exchanging of items (and sometimes of money) happens on Sunday, particularly where the parties involved live a longer way from church or each other.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on this. To me, observing the wonderful mystery of femininity from the outside, it seems like a social/relational thing and a way for some of these women to bond. I do wonder, however, whether it doesn't look a lot like a form of Sabbath commerce.

Please note that I'm only asking this for my own benefit. I have no need or desire to offer unsolicited opinions to anyone, but I would welcome outside input in at least formulating my own thoughts. I myself would, for the sake of my own conscience, shy away from any such thing, but the apparent relational aspect of these exchanges is not something I can personally relate to, as for me acquisitions, trades, and purchases tend to be transactional and practical.

Exchange of money for purchased goods should never happen on the Lord's day. The ladies should use Venmo or something else to pay each other during the week. As for bringing the stuff and giving it out to one another, my opinion is that this should be done very low key; bring the stuff packaged up, and set it somewhere designated and everyone pick up their packages without making a big deal about it. It shouldn't distract or be prominent at all. It's what we've done at our church with various things (bringing someone a gift or card, vegetables from gardens, etc.)

All this said with sympathy!

Exchange of money for purchased goods should never happen on the Lord's day. The ladies should use Venmo or something else to pay each other during the week. As for bringing the stuff and giving it out to one another, my opinion is that this should be done very low key; bring the stuff packaged up, and set it somewhere designated and everyone pick up their packages without making a big deal about it. It shouldn't distract or be prominent at all. It's what we've done at our church with various things (bringing someone a gift or card, vegetables from gardens, etc.)

All this said with sympathy!
Thank you for these thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back