Who is Bernard in this passage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
This kind of pride discovers itself in dwelling upon the thoughts of our gifts, with a secret kind of content to see our own face, till at last we fall in love with it. We read of some whose eyes are full of the adulteress, and cannot cease from sin. A proud heart is full of himself; his own abilities cast their shadow before him. They are in his eye wherever he goes. The great subject and theme of his thoughts in what he is, and what he hath above others, applauding himself; as Bernard confesseth, that—when one would think he had little leisure for such thoughts—even in preaching; pride would be whispering in his ear, Bene fecisti Bernarde—O well done, Bernard.
-William Gurnall, The Christian in Complete Armour

Richard Bernard? Bernard of Clairvaux?

Some quick searching leads me to believe it was Bernard of Clairvaux, or at least that is who it was being attributed to.

I can't find that particular quote in Bernard of Clairvaux's available corpus, and oddly it seems a few Protestants are the only ones that quote it. However, the earliest citation I could find (via the follow-up Latin phrasing Gurnall gives - non propter te hoc etc.) is in Lancelot Andrewes' Seven Sermons on the Temptation of Christ, originally preached in 1592 (when Richard Bernard would have been only 24 years old), where the context fits and that portion is attributed to "St. Bernard." Thomas Brooks also cites the phrase Bene fecisti Bernarde in one of his works, in which several other Latin phrases from "Bernard" are cited, which can be found in Bernard of Clairvaux's corpus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back