Which Chemnitz to buy: Examen of Trent or Two Natures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Two Natures of Christ" is a classic, up there with Athanasius in brilliance and influence.

It is NOT a Reformed christology, however. It argues the Lutheran position on the communicatio which is quite different from the Calvinist view.

Chemnitz was called the "second Martin." Catholics used to say that if the second Martin (i.e., Chemnitz) had not come, nobody would bother to remember the first Martin (i.e., Luther). He was to Lutheran scholasticism what Turretin or Witsius was to Reformed scholasticism. The treatment of Trent is voluminous and much more expensive. You can find a free 21 week video series of lectures taking you through Chemnitz's The Two Natures of Christ by White Horse Inn's Rod Rosenbladt on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/channels/rosenbladt/page:1). Rosenbladt is a LCMS theologian and has a knack for clear and memorable expression. I would recommend watching the lectures along with reading the book if you opt for The Two Natures of Christ.

Lutheran christology is typically accused by Reformed scholars of blurring the distinctions of the Chalcedonian definition in a monophysite direction. In other words, Calvinist and Lutheran christologies TEND to emphasize the opposite poles of the two natures of Christ distinction. For the two Reformational cousins: One takes great pains to stress the twoness and the other the oneness.

The "Two Natures of Christ" is a classic, up there with Athanasius in brilliance and influence.

It is NOT a Reformed christology, however. It argues the Lutheran position on the communicatio which is quite different from the Calvinist view.

Chemnitz was called the "second Martin." Catholics used to say that if the second Martin (i.e., Chemnitz) had not come, nobody would bother to remember the first Martin (i.e., Luther). He was to Lutheran scholasticism what Turretin or Witsius was to Reformed scholasticism. The treatment of Trent is voluminous and much more expensive. You can find a free 21 week video series of lectures taking you through Chemnitz's The Two Natures of Christ by White Horse Inn's Rod Rosenbladt on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/channels/rosenbladt/page:1). Rosenbladt is a LCMS theologian and has a knack for clear and memorable expression. I would recommend watching the lectures along with reading the book if you opt for The Two Natures of Christ.

Lutheran christology is typically accused by Reformed scholars of blurring the distinctions of the Chalcedonian definition in a monophysite direction. In other words, Calvinist and Lutheran christologies TEND to emphasize the opposite poles of the two natures of Christ distinction. For the two Reformational cousins: One takes great pains to stress the twoness and the other the oneness.

THanks, Dennis. I"m aware of the differences between Reformed/Lutheran on this point. I had the Rosenbldatt lectures on mp3 at one point, but don't anymore (video doesn't work for me).

At the moment I am leaning towards Examination Council Trent

Jacob,

My apologies. You change avatars from time to time and I did not notice who had posted. Of course you would know the differences!!! Yikes. I'm embarrassed. Enjoy the Council of Trent.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back