Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill The Baptist

Puritan Board Graduate
I just wanted to get an idea of which versions of the Bible that reformed Christians like the most. Please no debating the merits of the respective versions, this is simply for informational purposes.

I prefer the NKJV for reading and study, with the ESV and HCSB as alternatives.

ESV. I love its accuracy and readability. And, at my time of life (I'm 61), I don't plan to change translations again.

If someone would take the best bits from the NKJV and the best bits from the ESV and stick them together in one version, then that would be my favourite translation.

Please let me know when somebody gets round to doing that. :)

If someone would take the best bits from the NKJV and the best bits from the ESV and stick them together in one version, then that would be my favourite translation.

Please let me know when somebody gets round to doing that
If someone would take the best bits from the NKJV and the best bits from the ESV, as well as the HCSB, and stick them together in one version, then that would be my favourite translation.

Please let me know when somebody gets round to doing that :p

I made this edit because I think there needs to be a readability factor here, and the HCSB is definitely superior to the NIV in this regard

I liked the NASB but over the last couple of years have been using the ESV. It has taken some time to wean myself away from the NASB but I now feel I have reached the point where the ESV is now my default version. And to fine tune it even further, I would use the Anglised version of the ESV. A bit more expensive but well worth it to have a version where all the words are correctly spelt.

I prefer using The Authorised Version & as you can see as an Australian I also prefer the correct spelling like my brother in the UK (authorised not authorized)
the Cum Privilegio Cambridge Edition is the prefered edition now above all other KJB editions, though I will still use other editions if it is not available,
will also consult other Received Text Translations like J.P. Green's Modern King James & Literal Version, and others which are on eSword & PocketSword like Tyndales, the Geneva, Webster's & Young's Literal, also occasionally the NKJV, & soon the MEV.

When I'm in a CT mood, ESV all the way (oh, HCSB on occasion)

When I'm in a TR mood, KJV and NKJV.

It is RARE when I look at any translation other than those four.

well worth it to have a version where all the words are correctly spelt
Of course, you meant, "spelled."

:D

For me, it's most often the ESV for personal reading, but for sermon/teaching prep, I am usually interacting with the KJV and NASB, as well. Have also started to explore the HCSB (because I got it on my phone for free).

We use the Geneva at home and take it to church, where the NKJV is used. KJV is also great, but the notes of the Geneva are just so good...

man your public schools are really letting you guys down, its a good thing there are people from the Commonwealth on this Board
Hey Robert, you are only giving half the story. The good people of Australia need New Zealanders to teach in the Australian public schools, so they learn how to say fish and chips correctly :lol: :lol:

man your public schools are really letting you guys down, its a good thing there are people from the Commonwealth on this Board

SPELT, verb a simple past tense and past participle of spell, from Dictionary.com, ignore if you were being facetious
I took Stuart's "correctly" to be intended lightheartedly, and I responded in a similar fashion.
As an aside, while the American educational system is, indeed, deplorable, one wouldn't expect American schools to teach British English, now would he?

C'mon Bill, where's the Message option? Your limited quiz may have just missed an important subset of PB members!
:p

I use the ESV, and I like it. I am missing my NKJV. I really like that translation as well.

I'm with Josh. I don't like bopping around among different translations. Makes it harder for me to memorize passages. I stick almost exclusively with the A.V.

THIS! I thought I was the only one :).

Please let me know when somebody gets round to doing that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back