What's wrong with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChapin

Puritan Board Freshman
First I was having problems with my PC going to "Safe Mode" which after I got an error message. Now my PC just seems to restart by itself. Anyone want to let me know what's wrong with it? And what are possible solutions?

The first thing I would do is go to Malwarebytes.org and download the free version. Update it. Then run it and let it clean anything it finds.

The rebooting could also be caused by any number of other things, including dust in your case, RAM that is loose or not seated properly, or ??

Go to Majorgeeks website and follow their XP/Vista cleaning procedure, which includes Malwarebytes.

What was the error message you got, have you noticed any pattern of activities that lead to the reboot?

What was the error message you got, have you noticed any pattern of activities that lead to the reboot?

I dont remember the message since I don't really get it anymore. But as far as the pattern which leads to the restard it's just me working on the internet with IE then after a few minutes it either freezes or restarts.

-----Added 6/29/2009 at 03:17:14 EST-----

The first thing I would do is go to Malwarebytes.org and download the free version. Update it. Then run it and let it clean anything it finds.

The rebooting could also be caused by any number of other things, including dust in your case, RAM that is loose or not seated properly, or ??

How do I check the RAM and case? What else should I do?

Well, we could jut say the biggest problem with your computer is that it is a PC..... I jest.

I would take it to the store you bought it from. Generally they will at least tell you the problem for free yet to get it fixed is a different story.

The test finished and it stated there was no infections.

Did you shut it down hard (just cut the power) or go through the shutdown sequence before this happened. Mine used to do that (come up in safe mode) when I, in a hurry to leave, just cut the power.

Normally, we would re-install\re-image the machine. Takes too much time to troubleshoot and repair. In your situation though with important data, etc, that is probably not backed up to an external source, you would be best to find the computer relative, or take it into a super-store repair shop.

Did you shut it down hard (just cut the power) or go through the shutdown sequence before this happened. Mine used to do that when I, in a hurry to leave, just cut the power.

Just cut the power. There was no shut down sequence.

That may be it then. Shut it down soft in the future rather than hard. Look in the start menu for the shut down option.

Sorry there is some misunderstanding. When I shut it down I go through the sequence. I was speaking when the computer restards by itself it doesn't go by the sequence it just restards without the sequence.

I'm telling you. Go to MajorGeeks. There are several tools in addition to Malwarebytes that are worth trying.

Windows XP Cleaning Procedure - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Vista Cleaning Procedure - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Just cut the power. There was no shut down sequence.

That may be it then. Shut it down soft in the future rather than hard. Look in the start menu for the shut down option.

Sorry there is some misunderstanding. When I shut it down I go through the sequence. I was speaking when the computer restards by itself it doesn't go by the sequence it just restards without the sequence.

OK, then it is not the self inflicted batch of errors that I have done.

I'm telling you. Go to MajorGeeks. There are several tools in addition to Malwarebytes that are worth trying.

Windows XP Cleaning Procedure - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Vista Cleaning Procedure - MajorGeeks Support Forums

Kay...I'm working on it.

-----Added 6/29/2009 at 04:01:00 EST-----

Normally, we would re-install\re-image the machine. Takes too much time to troubleshoot and repair. In your situation though with important data, etc, that is probably not backed up to an external source, you would be best to find the computer relative, or take it into a super-store repair shop.

Find the computer relative?

Last edited:
Fine the computer relative?

Somebody in your family or congregation that has expertise with computers. It seems that everybody knows somebody who knows how to work on computers. One reason why I will not open a computer repair business. Ask them for help, a lot of times the problem cannot be fixed unless somebody witnesses the problem, and\or has access to the computer with the problem. I have spent countless hours on the phone and in person helping friends, their family members, and my family with problems, and a lot of my colleagues do the same for their family and friends.

I'd try looking at a couple of things.

Software updates frequently cause windows reboots. It could be that you have an update that hasn't processed properly, or that your computer is downloading updates for various programs (including windows); try disabling auto updates.

And since you mention that it happens when you are in IE, try using a different web browser and see if that helps. "it's just me working on the internet with IE then after a few minutes it either freezes or restarts."

Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable

The SeaMonkey Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back