What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Out of curiosity:

If you were 35, had no debt, owned a home with no mortgage, had a healthy bank account, and had 3 young children, what would you do with your life? Anything radical?

I ask, that I may dream and be inspired. Thanks!

Rent out the house to cover living expenses and move to a mission field.
I could suggest a few. ;)
That's really interesting you say that. So you are in North Carolina. There is a ministry assistant position open for the Cherokee indians, and a man at our church has a job with MTW connecting with missionaries. Do you know Sam Goodwin? He said he would love to talk about it if I were ever interested.

Out of curiosity:

If you were 35, had no debt, owned a home with no mortgage, had a healthy bank account, and had 3 young children, what would you do with your life? Anything radical?

You didn’t mention a wife, so I’d prolly get a wife and aim for more children, raising a godly seed, etc.

I personally would just do more things locally and if I could swing it, keep working part time. I’d take on more of the homeschooling load and pitch in more in our coop.

What can you do that most folks can't? Anyone can hop on a jet and fly half way around the world and try to build a relationship with folks that have a different language, religion, and culture. But where could you have access that most folks wouldn't?

Now, to answer your question - I'd get a job. It's amazing how good a job can be if you don't need it.

Find a relatively stress free, perhaps part-time job, with pay as a secondary factor, and then invest the dividend of freed-up time and energy in caring for and nurturing my family and serving the local church.

Anyone can hop on a jet and fly half way around the world and try to build a relationship with folks that have a different language, religion, and culture.
Anyone  can, but far too few do. Frankly, that's quite a dismissive perspective on the Great Commission!

In this age of children-murdering, family-hating culture, I’d say having a huuuuuge family, leading them in godliness, is pretty radical. :2cents:

Get a job, but get a job you love; even if it doesn't pay well. Go to seminary, and be prepared for many avenues of ministry. Find a struggling pastor, pay his tuition; or purchase him Logos Platinum. Find some way to transfer that wealth into your heavenly account; for that is the only secure balance you have.

Or better yet, set your children up to be 10x's the man of God you are. Get them the best theological tutors, as some of the Puritans were tutors to families in their day, as they grow teach them Latin, Greek, & Hebrew. You wonder why so many of these "celebrities" come from wealthy stock? Because they are raised being taught by the best money can buy. The inherit talents that are in them are honed, culivated, and blossomed. There are so many things you could do, but what ever you do, do it for the glory of God.

Last edited:
Frankly, that's quite a dismissive perspective on the Great Commission!
I had drafted a response, but we would be taking this thread well off course. Wan't to start a thread on mission strategy, I'll be happy to engage. Or maybe I can start one when I get some time.

Out of curiosity:

I am all that but with the debt. Just bask in that peace man, raise those kids and save for their future. You could double your tithe for starters and see where your local church could use financial assistance like in the deaconate. I'm a simple guy man, you could be radical, but I enjoy the simple life! Haha.

Fulfill the Great Commission where God has placed you. Focus on evangelism that edifies the local church. To be clear, I think this ought to be done by folks who aren’t in as great a financial situation, just as well as those who are. But it’s called the Great Commission for a reason, and is so often ignored, especially by Reformed folks, who can sometimes be called the “frozen chosen.”

Out of curiosity:

I'm in the same boat albeit 10 years older and nothing has changed in my life beyond an extra outpouring of praise to God for my circumstances. I continue the same careful stewardship over what the Lord has blessed me with - health, relative wealth, and a family to care for.

I dream and am inspired about being a better husband, father, and employee in my existing circumstances and may God receive the glory for all of it.

Strive to be an elder of a local church and be spent for the LORD
I think the local church is often undervalued. My passion now is to have our local church be as that in Acts 2 (minus the apostles and their specific wonders and signs, obviously): "And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved."

Last edited:
Strive to be an elder of a local church and be spent for the LORD
I would add, strive to be a Biblical elder. Don't just be a yes man who cares nothing for the flock. Reach out to the flock, get to know them, invest in their lives. Be someone people look up to and want to imitate. Be above reproach.

Last edited:
I would add, strive to be a Biblical elder. Don't just be a yes man who cares nothing for the flock. Reach out to the flock, get to know them, invest in their lives. Be someone people look up to and want to imitate. Be above reproach.
100% this. I have known mediocre, good, and bad ruling elders and the good ones are an absolute gem to the local congregation and to the denomination as a whole.

These answers are really good, and really good stuff to think about. I really appreciate it.
I'd keep my ears open for real diaconal needs and help with them as anonymously as possible. The government is taking over here with some bad results. If you are anonymous, it is easier for you to discern real vs. exaggerated need, as people will share and reference spontaneously with you.

For one I wouldnt tell people about my financial situation
I agree brother, but what does that have to do with the inquiry? It kind of sounds like an unloving comment, but I hope I'm misunderstanding it. Maybe you can clarify so I don't think of you as having ungodly character.

I intentionally put "that I may dream and be inspired" in the OP so that it wouldn't be clear if that were my actual situation or something being worked towards. I always want to be humble in those things. But I don't have a problem talking openly to people about my life situation, whether good or bad. Getting advice is good for me. Lol, that reminds me of my grandmom's generation, where many women wouldn't talk about their weight or age.

To what is God calling you? Not all are called to eldership or evangelists or businessmen Rom 12:6. To use myself as an example, God has given me a job that enables me to give generosity and is now calling me to the diaconate. He has not called me (not given me the gifts) to be an elder or evangelists.

I'll add that mission organizations need accountants, tech support, etc too. God called my best friend to do information technology for Wycliffe Associates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back