What Have I Learned Since Joining the PB

Status
Not open for further replies.

0isez

Puritan Board Freshman
This will be my 1st anniversary in October 2023 since joining the Puritan Board and I wanted to reflect on everything I have learned, re-learned and how it has changed certain aspects of my life for the better. Since I like bulleted simplicity I have listed this stuff below in order of importance:
  1. No Question Tabu: The members of PB tackle honest questions without rancor or judgment, gently handling the weak in faith (of which I certainly am) with wisdom and care. The percentage of "Law Runners" Is minute embolding true conversation and debate. There is nothing like this in any Protestant circles that I have been associated with. I look at this board as an oasis of good theology, good advice and good company.
  2. Opening the Scriptures: There have been times when I had a question about a passage in the bible that was unspoken but always lurking in the back of my mind. Then seemingly out of nowhere, someone would answer my unspoken question enabling me to put it to rest. The depth and scope of biblical knowledge on this forum is a treasure.
  3. Firming Up My Christian Stance: Along with church, prayer and bible study, this forum has taught me how to proceed in Christ in everyday life without the constant "how am I doing God?" syndrone. With candor and wisdom, the guys and gals on this forum demonstrated to me that I am no different than them and I must be patient in my walk. Christ will answer in His time.
  4. The Assurance of Belonging: I really cannot understand the reputation Calvinists have of being judgmental and clannish. I have never met a more open honest bunch of people in my life. This forum is a great example of the best of Calvinism.
  5. New Respect for Reformist Founders: Thanks to this forum I have been exposed to books written by puritan reformists in times past that I would have never even heard of let alone read. Some have become my favorites like Toplady and Pink. Again, invaluable!
  6. Many thanks to all! It is a privilege and an honor to be a member of this forum.

This will be my 1st anniversary in October 2023 since joining the Puritan Board and I wanted to reflect on everything I have learned, re-learned and how it has changed certain aspects of my life for the better. Since I like bulleted simplicity I have listed this stuff below in order of importance:
  1. No Question Tabu: The members of PB tackle honest questions without rancor or judgment, gently handling the weak in faith (of which I certainly am) with wisdom and care. The percentage of "Law Runners" Is minute embolding true conversation and debate. There is nothing like this in any Protestant circles that I have been associated with. I look at this board as an oasis of good theology, good advice and good company.
  2. Opening the Scriptures: There have been times when I had a question about a passage in the bible that was unspoken but always lurking in the back of my mind. Then seemingly out of nowhere, someone would answer my unspoken question enabling me to put it to rest. The depth and scope of biblical knowledge on this forum is a treasure.
  3. Firming Up My Christian Stance: Along with church, prayer and bible study, this forum has taught me how to proceed in Christ in everyday life without the constant "how am I doing God?" syndrone. With candor and wisdom, the guys and gals on this forum demonstrated to me that I am no different than them and I must be patient in my walk. Christ will answer in His time.
  4. The Assurance of Belonging: I really cannot understand the reputation Calvinists have of being judgmental and clannish. I have never met a more open honest bunch of people in my life. This forum is a great example of the best of Calvinism.
  5. New Respect for Reformist Founders: Thanks to this forum I have been exposed to books written by puritan reformists in times past that I would have never even heard of let alone read. Some have become my favorites like Toplady and Pink. Again, invaluable!
  6. Many thanks to all! It is a privilege and an honor to be a member of this forum.

Hi Ken,

So, are you saying you like the PB? I kinda got that idea. Right?
Here's your post, and I will interact. But only in bullet-list style. See, I read your post. I also took the liberty of adding a few commas, etc.
  1. No Question Tabu: The members of PB tackle honest questions without rancor or judgment, gently handling the weak in faith (of which I certainly am) with wisdom and care. The percentage of "Law Runners" Is minute, embolding [emboldening?]

Me too. Big time.

2. Opening the Scriptures: There have been times when I had a question about a passage in the Bible that was unspoken but always lurking in the back of my mind. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, someone would answer my unspoken question, enabling me to put it to rest. The depth and scope of biblical knowledge on this forum are a treasure.

All the time. Praise God for His Church. Yes, yes, even the motley crew that is still on earth in this body of sin.

3. Firming Up My Christian Stance: Along with church, prayer, and bible study, this forum has taught me how to proceed in Christ in everyday life without the constant "How am I doing God?" syndrome. With candor and wisdom, the guys and gals on this forum demonstrated to me that I am no different than them and I must be patient in my walk. Christ will answer in His time.

I will tell you a secret: I never talked publically with any PB member till now. Don't tell anyone. :)
    I think the PB itself, and many members are, prepared (and preparing), ready as a resource for our Great King Jesus if He comes down again in Power to rouse up the sleeping Church. Much could be said, but I have the bullet-list mandate to fulfill.

4. The Assurance of Belonging: I really cannot understand the reputation Calvinists have of being judgmental and clannish. I have never met a more open, honest bunch of people in my life. This forum is a great example of the best of Calvinism.

Times in the early days of the NT Church, after the days of the Apostles, the Roman populous came to see the Saints as atheists (for rejecting the gods of Rome), practicing cannibalism (drink my blood, eat my flesh...), being incestuous (they heard the song–if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with)

5. New Respect for Reformist Founders: Thanks to this forum, I have been exposed to books written by Puritan reformists, incestuous, performed human sacrifice (in times past that I would have never even heard of, let alone read. Some have become my favorites, like Toplady and Pink. Again, invaluable!

I may have helped a little bit on this one, have read, loved, taught about, cried as I meditated on their words, and completely fallen in love with a bunch of dead guys from the 17th century.

Me too. Big time.

Another thing I love, among the things you mentioned, is how even when I'm wrong I've always been lovingly been dealt with.

This will be my 1st anniversary in October 2023 since joining the Puritan Board
We don't have to get you like...a present or something do we?

Just kidding. It was nice to read your post, and hear your encouragement, and to express how you've been edified by the members of PB.

My anniversary for joining the board is this December. Just saying. For anyone that wants to surprise me with an anniversary present.

I’ve learned a lot also. Glad you’re here!

We don't have to get you like...a present or something do we?

Just kidding. It was nice to read your post, and hear your encouragement, and to express how you've been edified by the members of PB.

My anniversary for joining the board is this December. Just saying. For anyone that wants to surprise me with an anniversary present.

As a matter of fact, I was kinda hoping that y'all could pool your money together and get me a new Gibson guitar either an SG or Les Paul with P-90's. :moneywings::moneywings::moneywings:

As a matter of fact, I was kinda hoping that y'all could pool your money together and get me a new Gibson guitar either an SG or Les Paul with P-90's. :moneywings::moneywings::moneywings:
That’s nice. I never thought of that. Some of us make due with Squire Fenders and pawn shop mods.

I thought everyone hated Gibson these days :). I have a Gretsch semi-hollow coming Monday to add to the collection that I am looking forward to messing with. I personally am not a fan of the horns on the SG but a Les Paul is a beautiful instrument.

On PB, sometimes we butt heads quite hard but I think just about everyone that has been around here awhile genuinely loves the Lord and disagrees out of sincere conviction. Hopefully we can always be humble enough to apologize when we mess up. The mods also do a great job of regulating behavior here according to godly standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back