• Civil War

Votes: 40 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
Been really interested in this topic as of late. Interested to see what the popular viewpoint is.

If memory served me correctly, the congressional records referred to the war as the Southern Rebellion, hence "Johnny Reb."

I call it the Civil War, subtitled The Loss of State Sovereignty.

This is very true. Although slavery was certainly an evil institution and needed to end, the Civil War also marked the end of any meaningful states rights. Just like with 9/11, the government always finds a way to turn tragedy into a power grab.

War of Northern Aggression is the proper usage, although I generally use War Between the States when I am in a mixed group.

I wonder what the English call it, as it regards the U.S. as rebellious colonies, rebellion within the rebellious!

The English initially allied themselves with the confederacy and provided some weapons and others necessities. Once the union established a full naval blockade, the English thought better of it having already lost two wars on the continent.

The loss of state sovereignty--according to some--could be said to have started with the drafting of the Constitution. Civil War was a long time coming..

I wonder what the English call it, as it regards the U.S. as rebellious colonies, rebellion within the rebellious!

The English initially allied themselves with the confederacy and provided some weapons and others necessities. Once the union established a full naval blockade, the English thought better of it having already lost two wars on the continent.

I believe the French were ready to jump in as well, the Europeans wanted to divy up the North American continent amongst themselves, you had European Monarchies opposed to a Republic, the Papacy opposed to a Protestant & Constitutional Government, as well as having Decreed that the New World be given to the Spanish. Just as well that the Czar sent his navy to NY to discourage the Brits & French from entering the fray!

Just to give a hint as to which option I voted for. . .

SST.gif

"The Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia shows Virtue, spear in hand, with her foot on the prostrate form of Tyranny, whose crown lies nearby. The Seal was planned by Mason and designed by George Wythe, who signed the United States Declaration of Independence and taught law to Thomas Jefferson."

BTW, I live in the town of WYTHEville, in WYTHE County, Virginia. :)

I call it the Civil War, 10 times out of 10.

So people really take the time to call it The War of Northern Aggression in regular conversation?

War of Northern Aggression. Though I agree with Edward that it isn't a term to use in mixed company.

Funny, all the talk of human rights/slavery fueling the war, just look at how the North treated Native Americans. Schools in Pennsylvania taking children away from their families, punishing them for using their native language, stripping them of culture to make them "white men". Though, this happened shortly after the civil war. The Alabama Creek Indians (some of my ancestry) allied with the CSA.

Interesting... I'm from Canada, so the only point of view I've had was from the Northern perspective. I listened to Joe Morecroft a while back and heard the perspective from the South.

Anyone know of any good books on the Civil War?

I'm from Canada, so the only point of view I've had was from the Northern perspective.

I am Canadian and this was the perspective I was given too. My understanding, even into adulthood, was that this dispute was about slavery and that the South was bad because they had slaves and the North was good because they didn't have slaves.

...and then I moved to Alabama....

...and then I moved to Alabama....

I'm just the opposite. I'm from Alabama, and after being stationed in NY encountered people who thought the North was right for the first time. Haha. I wonder if other nations have such dispute over who was right in their respective Civil Wars.

Those of you who call it "The War of Northern Aggression", what do you call the Korean and Vietnam Wars?

I usually call it the "Civil War" in conversation because that is the commonly understood term not because I think it best embodies the event's meaning. I probably am most partial to the more qualified "so called Civil War" but I think "War between the Union and Confederacy" is probably more accurate but extremely awkward. "War Between the States" is probably best because it can more easily include realities of those times that go beyond mere "North and South" caricatures like the internal struggles of Missouri and Kansas.

Those of you who call it "The War of Northern Aggression", what do you call the Korean and Vietnam Wars?

I think they were probably unwise wars. (Though I have no disrespect for anyone who fought in those wars) Both of those wars were predicated by aggression against our allies (South Korea and South Vietnam) so in a way we were defending a sovereign state. In the Civil War, the South had declared themselves sovereign, and given the North ample time to remove federal troops (which the North refused). The Civil War could have been resolved peacefully if the North would have recognized the sovereignty of the CSA. Vietnam and Korea could not have been resolved peacefully because they were by nature the aggression of one country (North Korea and North Vietnam) against another sovereign one.

I fail to see how it is one of northern aggression. Sputh Carolina fired the first shot. Thats like someone hitting my wife and me killing the guy. The reaction is deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back