Water or Coffee: Which one wakes you up better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I drink coffee religiously. I also have been told that I make the best pot of coffee as well. That is probably true. I also do not tolerate reasons for not drinking coffee. However,

A feller told me today that water actually wakes you up better (your body being dehydrated and all). That seems too easy a solution in my eyes. What works best?

Water is something you need to live and be healthy, if you're not getting enough water you can become groggy. If you make sure you're getting enough water, then coffee, which is a stimulant, will probably wake you up. If you're dehydrated it will make that worse as it dehydrates the body.

no data to back this - purely subjective:

I drank a lot of coffee and/or diet mt. dew on a daily basis. Think back to my sleep issues on a previous thread. In other words I thought I needed the caffeine all the time. As part of a trying to not be a gnostic, I've decided to start paying more attention to my health. Because I was so addicted and dependent on caffeine, I decided to buffet my body a little. (I also buffet my body a lot at the local Chinese dive...) I have not had any caffeine whatsoever for over two weeks now. Of course the first 3 days consisted of massive headaches and being very sluggish. I've been drinking a ton of water during this time, and I have to say that I feel overall better now - even more alert. I figured if I actually quit smoking, then I could quit caffeine until I can moderate myself. I'm not religious about it but for now I'm abstaining. Definitely would like to hear more concrete evidence one way or the other.

I now wake up in the morning and grab some water and a vitamin For what it's worth.

At my age, the water wakes me up first; I go to the bathroom, relieve myself and then partake of the bean!

Originally posted by Rick Larson
I've been told that an apple wakes you up better than coffee, not water though.

Or orange juice or a banana.

I am one of those that caffeine does not work as a stimulant, although over 3 expressos in less than a hour makes my brain fuzzy. The mornings that I exercise I drink at least a quart of water.

Hot water all over (a shower) works for me as a wake-up call.

Originally posted by crhoades

I drank a lot of coffee and/or diet mt. dew on a daily basis. Think back to my sleep issues on a previous thread. In other words I thought I needed the caffeine all the time. As part of a trying to not be a gnostic, I've decided to start paying more attention to my health. Because I was so addicted and dependent on caffeine, I decided to buffet my body a little. (I also buffet my body a lot at the local Chinese dive...) I have not had any caffeine whatsoever for over two weeks now. Of course the first 3 days consisted of massive headaches and being very sluggish. I've been drinking a ton of water during this time, and I have to say that I feel overall better now - even more alert. I figured if I actually quit smoking, then I could quit caffeine until I can moderate myself. I'm not religious about it but for now I'm abstaining. Definitely would like to hear more concrete evidence one way or the other.

I now wake up in the morning and grab some water and a vitamin For what it's worth.

My Rebuttal
1. You openly admitted to the subjectivity of your argument.
2. Your argument was against coffee.
3. Therefore, it is false!

I told you I was intolerant on those who are against coffee!:p

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by crhoades

My Rebuttal
1. You openly admitted to the subjectivity of your argument.
2. Your argument was against coffee.
3. Therefore, it is false!

I told you I was intolerant on those who are against coffee!:p

So I committed the ad coffeum fallacy...:lol:

Wasn't arguing against it per se...just taking a break. I'll break the fast when you come up and make me a pot of your coffee.

I drink coffee religiously. I also have been told that I make the best pot of coffee as well. That is probably true. I also do not tolerate reasons for not drinking coffee.
I'm wracking my brain trying to figure it out, but what possible reasons could a person give for not drinking coffee???

What's your secret for making the best pot of coffee? Is it something you can divulge, or is it one of those secrets handed down from father to son?

Its an interesting thing about coffee. We went to the Olive Garden recently and had some really tastey food. But you know what I really enjoyed most - that cup of coffee at the end of the meal. It was excellent.

The one piece of advice my father gave me before starting medical school was don't drink coffee. Sure enough, from first year on, you could see the % of people drinking the bean from 20% to 90%. I was never a morning person neither... by the end of training, I was though ;-)

Originally posted by beej6
The one piece of advice my father gave me before starting medical school was don't drink coffee. Sure enough, from first year on, you could see the % of people drinking the bean from 20% to 90%. I was never a morning person neither... by the end of training, I was though ;-)
Why did he tell you not to drink coffee? Should I stop? :detective:

I didn't drink coffee until I got to seminary. The fruit of the bean is always flowing hot at school, so it's very easy to grab it on a regular basis. Actually, we pay a one-time fee each semester and get as much as we want. We go through over a canister of creamer each week; I won't even guess how many cans of coffee beans we go through! All this, and we have only about 30 students . . . :um:

Here's one reason to not drink caffeine too much... it's bad for the prostate. (Well, I don't know if it will harm a healthy prostate, but my dad started having prostate issues and they told him to immediately give up the caffeine...)

As a result, I've cut back to only partaking of one 20oz mug per day.

[Edited on 4-14-2006 by SolaScriptura]

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Here's one reason to not drink caffeine too much... it's bad for the prostate.

This is true. Frank Zappa didn't use drugs, but he drank coffee like a mad man, from sunup till sundown, and look what happened to him.

And caffeine has been implicated in the leaching of calcium from the bones, although stick around and the latest medical psychobabble may change.

But my wife and I used to drink 4-5 pots a day between the two of us, so I am a rather biased observer.

From my college days I can defintely confirm that water, poured on my sleeping body from a five gallon bucket woke me up better than any cup of coffee I have ever had.

Originally posted by gwine
But my wife and I used to drink 4-5 pots a day between the two of us, so I am a rather biased observer.
icon_eek.gif

I try to stick to 3 cups max, but usually drink 1 or 2 on days that I have classes.

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
From my college days I can defintely confirm that water, poured on my sleeping body from a five gallon bucket woke me up better than any cup of coffee I have ever had.
:lol:

I have told my wife to splash water on me if I didn't wake up early enough . . she just hasn't had the guts to do it yet!

My secret to success:
It all depends on the ingredients. If I have bad water and Folgers coffee, then I am reduced to the level of the average coffee brewer. Also, brewing coffee in an urn = terrible coffee 99% of the time. That is why Church/Sunday school coffee is usually so bad. The urn often stays on for six hours and absorbs the burn flavor. The burn flavor never leaves, so the next pot, while fresh, tastes awful. I refuse to drink urn coffee out of principle.

Olive Garden: Those places usually have awesome coffee. I haven't cracked their secret yet. Then again, a decent cup after a good meal tastes nice, even if the coffee is mediocre. Its a psychology thing.

I used to drink ALOT of coffe, but backed off for the sake of my family. I still drink a lot for seminary/studying reasons.

I still drink a lot for seminary/studying reasons.

Ah, so you have turned coffee drinking into a necessity. I like the progressive justification of the bean.

Upon arising you should drink a glass of water. It starts your metabolism. Then make your coffee and ENJOY........

You should as a matter of maintaining good health properly hydrate your body with either bottled or distiilled water. Never drink tap water.

Coffee is not considered hydration...it is however one of lifes necessities. In my humble opinion

As a big time coffee drinker, I was always skeptical about the coffee-dehydration idea. So one summer I was a guinea pig in my own experiment. I drank only coffee, no water or anything else, for three days straight. I otherwise ate normally.

The day time temperatures got up into the 90s and I did the normal physical work set before me, mostly setting fence posts and moving irrigation pipes.

Whenever I got hot and thirsty, I drank cold coffee. In the morning I had it hot.

At the end of the three days my weight was unchanged, and I didn't feel really any different, except that I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep.

So I concluded that coffee did not really dehydrate you and you could actually live off it for awhile.

But now my research has been vindicated by the guys in the lab coats:

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm

These days I only drink about four 20 oz cups a day.

Vic

I drink coffee religiously. I also have been told that I make the best pot of coffee as well. That is probably true. I also do not tolerate reasons for not drinking coffee. However,

A feller told me today that water actually wakes you up better (your body being dehydrated and all). That seems too easy a solution in my eyes. What works best?

O.k. I hate coffee with a passion. It does not wake me up, and it tastes awful.

*runs quickly away screaming bloody murder. turns around and yells, "Water ain't much better!"*

Coffee by far. I drink water all day long to stay hydrated but Coffee will actually sometimes revive me from the "death hour" around 1300-1500.

I used to hate coffee but now I love it. I particularly enjoy Dunkin Donuts coffee with sugar and half and half. We have a Dunkin Donuts on Base and I'll sometimes drive 12 miles round-trip on some days just to get a cup because I enjoy it. There are a few Starbucks out in town also. Of course the price for a cup of coffee is 300 yen ($3) which is a bit high (that's not the espresso drinks but just a straight up cup of coffee).

Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
1) Drink a glass of water

2) Brush your teeth

3) Drink a glass of grapefruit juice.

;)
Nice. While you're at it. Splash some grapefruit juice in your eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back