Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idelette

Puritan Board Graduate
I was just wondering if anyone here can give me some info. on Driscoll's "Vintage Jesus"? I think he put out both a book and instructional DVD with that title. I don't know very much about Driscoll and I don't really listen to him. So, I just wanted to get some honest opinions. I did look it up online, so I know the topics that he's covering, but I'm more curious as to your personal impressions with that particular work.

I read the book. Pretty good- a few areas of disagreement though. If a person is on a quest to find out about the biblical Jesus then I think it would be helpful. It is not a full on apologetic book.
You will find the cover problematic!

let me guess...supposed pic of Christ on the cover? If so, then yes, that is definitely a problem. If not, then the curiousity has got me - what is the problem with the cover?

If you hold to the view that a depiction of Jesus violates the 2nd commandment then you will not even be able to look at it but it is a very good, honest look a the true Jesus of the Bible.

It's a good introduction to the Jesus of the Bible written in Driscoll's typical casual language style (though I don't remember any swear words...). But if you want more indepth studies, I would go for something like Donald Macleod's The Person of Christ and Robert Letham's The Work of Christ.
:2cents:

And you won't have to worry about the covers.
It's a good introduction to the Jesus of the Bible written in Driscoll's typical casual language style (though I don't remember any swear words...). But if you want more indepth studies, I would go for something like Donald Macleod's The Person of Christ and Robert Letham's The Work of Christ.

:lol:

We did the small group study at our church. I have not read the book. Here is a summary reaction from the group that went through the study:
-No swear words, but there was freaky music introducing each video. Just seemed odd.
-Driscoll is very casual in the video, and gives very basic apologetics. Nothing in-depth.
-The study material was very superficial. Most of the people in our group were bored with it after the 3rd session (out of 6 or 8, I believe).
-I did not hear Driscoll say anything heretical, though I probably would have reworded a few things that he said.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back