Unwanted Flavel....

Status
Not open for further replies.

loomster2000

Puritan Board Freshman
If there is anyone out there in PB land who is thinning out their bookshelves and has a Banner set of The Works of John Flavel they would be willing to part with for an inexpensive price for a doctoral student on a tight budget (i.e., me), please let me know either here or through a direct message. These volumes would be put to good use!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not willing to part with mine but they are available as PDFs from Archive.org for free if you just need to research things. They are searchable as well. I was considering at one point trying to put them into an ebook but haven't taken the time.

You might consider writing to Banner of Truth and explaining your situation. They have been known to help students like yourself; and they also have a collection of damaged books at discount prices. But if it all else fails try bread and water for a few days and then use what money you have saved to get the books anyway. They're well worth it!

Logan, as much as I love PDF's for quick research and short writings, it is difficult for me to engage in long, sustained reading sessions from my laptop. There's nothing like a real book (in this way, I'm very much a dinosaur). However, thanks for the link and I will surely download these to have them for short reading sessions and searching/research.

Thanks for the suggestion, Stephen. I have considered my family and I going with Raman Noodles for a month or so. Odd, but my wife and kids weren't too keen on that idea. :)

But seriously, things aren't that desperate (and I don't mean to imply that they are). I just figured if someone had a set of Flavel stagnating on their shelves and really didn't care any longer if it was there or not (I know, fat chance finding someone like that on the PB!), then I would be happy to purchase them and at the same time it would be a great blessing to me.

Logan, as much as I love PDF's for quick research and short writings, it is difficult for me to engage in long, sustained reading sessions from my laptop.

Completely agree with that, I just didn't know what you wanted them for, it sounded like more research than reading.
I bought my set from ABE.com for $60 about 4 years ago in really good shape with all the dust covers. I don't know if they have any decently priced sets right now though.

I believe these are possibly going out of print. Neither Heritage Books nor Solid Ground have them and BOT pulled them from their holiday sale because they weren't available. Not sure if that is a permanent situation, but I would at least contact BOT and see when or if they are expected.

Otherwise, I would check the used market. You might check with Baker Books (Welcome - Baker Book House) in Grand Rapids. They have a HUGE stock of used books.

Several sets coming up for bid on eBay (one of which closes in 4 hrs):

John Flavel | eBay

But from the looks of things, folks are aware of the set being out of print and are anxious to buy up what's available.

Still, this is another option to keep an eye on.

For the cheapest price, I like best the idea of writing to BoT at their stateside location and asking if they have any damaged sets available for sale. If anything is still available, that might be the best way to get the best price.

Christianbook.com is showing an arrival date of approximately 12/18 at a price of $140 (for members). That shipping date may not be accurate but perhaps BOT may know for sure.

Hello Van this might be what your looking for a christian bookshop here in Sydney,Australia run by a man called
Micheal Plant, currently shows Vols 2, 3 & 4 at $17:50 australian each, if you contact him he also has a very large
collection of christian books down in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales with the possibility of a full set
being available, called Christian Books Australia - Rare, used, and out-of-print books

or you could try John Gowan books of Enniskillen, Northern Ireland seems to be showing
4 complete sets (6 vols) for under £40 Pounds Sterling US$75 Gowan Books - Book Search

Last edited:
A website called "Bookfinder" is the most thorough search engine I've found for digging up volumes from all of the usual sources.

This is a search using the ISBN of the 2nd printing of the Works of John Flavel. Happens to be the set I have. There are probably far more if I had the ISBN of the first printing. For some reason, using the author's name, or Works of John Flavel, turns up older printings other than the Banner of Truth set.

BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Books)

Here is a set on ebay that is still up for grabs ;

Vtg 1968 6 Volume Set of The Works of John Flavel Very Good Condition | eBay

Thanks for all these suggestions. I will surely look into all of them. I appreciate everyone's input!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back