unreached heathen and Romans 10 - defining the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris G

Puritan Board Freshman
If I learned anything in my PhD (not much) it was that if you can define the question precisely the answer will come much more easily. Now this question comes up ad nauseum in books and blogs and I thought it was time to break it down:

Likelihood Code:
T = "totally impossible" = this thing is absolutely impossible because of man's total inability.
ITAQP = "in theory actually quite probable", and seemingly pleasant, but still damnbable because proceeding from an unregenerate nature.
UI = "utterly impossibly" = this thing is absolutely impossible because of God's free decree.
AALASTLS = "about as likely as surviving 20 lightning strikes" = this thing is incredibly unlikely because of God's free decree.
(Note that T is a subset of UI.)

Right then, so here is a scale of hypothetical possibilities.

1. "A heathen can be saved by being nice and generally seeking whatever god he likes that is also nice" - sentimental Pelagianism - classification T.
2. "A heathen can hide in a cave for 20 years and reflect on the contents of his conscience. He concludes that God is just, holy and good, and therefore God owes it to the world to take on human flesh and come and die to satisfy his own justice and save him and his tribe." - ITAQP - but presumptuous and self-righteous.
3. "This heathen also reasons that God does not in fact necessarily have to take on human flesh and die for him, but recognises that it would be perfectly just (and indeed a priori more likely that he and the rest of the human race are vessels of wrath prepared for destruction - for the glory of God displayed to his unfallen angels) and that his reponsibility is more immediately to maximise the common grace - or "indiscriminate providence" - opportunities that lie between now and his death bed rather than presume to be saved. Nonetheless - he will humbly continue to seek God perchance that he might reveal himself to him according to the contours of his conscience." - T
4. Exactly the same as (3) but with the awakening work of the Spirit producing this and the regenerative work sealing and confirming it, together with a discernable love for loving others according to this bare, yet completely rational hope - even until death by persecution from the rest of the village. - UI or AALASTLS?
5. Either as proceeding from (4) or bypassing it completely, an angelic revelation of the gospel of Christ leading to conversion - UI or AALASTLS?
6. Either as proceeding from (4), (5) or bypassing them both, an aeroplane drops a load of bibles on his village (the missionaries being Reformed charismatic therefore able to translate the Bible into this unknown language with 95% accuracy and good study notes.) Conversion upon reading them - UI or AALASTLS?
7. A human preacher must also parachute out of the plane to make (6) anything more than UI. (Not even AALASTLS is possible for (6) without a human preacher.)
8. The person must also be baptised and submit to the magisterium of the catholic church (Of course noone goes as far as 8 - not even the Catholic church) before there is any chance of them not burning.

John Owen would tag AALASTLS next to points 5 and onwards - I cant recall the exact reference in his works but it is very explicit, talking about straitening the arm of the Lord if we do not allow Him the bare possibility - though it is a bare, bare possibility, of doing this.

As for myself, I fell into category 6, as I thought my eyes were opened to Christ as I read the Bible in my bedroom. Indeed, as I write this, I think that I should have maybe included a probability code more optimistic than AALASTLS because of the fact that the word is living and active, not ghostlike and hypothetical. But then I learned that this overwheling converting love for Christ that had filled my heart must have been a satanic self-deception because it had not been put there by an evangelist by virtue of his bodily presence in the room with me* (even over the phone would not have done, I suppose.) So, shall we be more Reformed than John Owen then?

Chris Green, UK.

*Sarcasm, a UK thing. Not very funny but its the best we can do because of our stiffness of character that comes from being cramped up on a small wet island.

I'm not sure why you have characterized #2 as "quite probable", when #3 isn't all that different than #2 (not that I think I understand what you're saying in #3 all that well).

All of the first 3, actually, without the unique element of #4 (the Spirit's prior work) should in fact be characterized as either T or UI, depending on what you want to say by T or UI. If the Spirit doesn't move first, then forget about anything salvific happening, period, no matter the mechanism.

Chris,

I thought London was in a draught? So much for being wet.

Anyhow, I actually think you need to make a distinction between the things hidden (the decree of God) and the things revealed to us and our children.

Romans 10, as elsewhere, makes plain that men are required to respond to the Gospel and are without excuse for disobeying the call. Full stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 pounds.

Romans 8-9, as elsewhere, makes plain that those who believe are born from above. Full stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 pounds.

What you're trying to do is "jump the track" from the hidden to the revealed. I think there is a very good reason why the Scriptures teach both Truths and that is because we are not given the mind of God. Some arrange their ordinances as if they can divine this hidden decree but the visible Church is charged with proclaiming the Gospel as well as the consequences if men reject that News.

Romans 10, then, seems like the logical answer to a speculator, such as yourself, that comes to the conclusion that, because it's impossible for the un-called to respond that the unrepentant Jews are somehow off they hook for not responding. Not so fast, answers Paul. They will be held to account for not responding just as the Israelites in the desert were judged for disobeying the Gospel for 40 years. Just as we, too, will be judged if we neglect so great a salvation.

All of the first 3, actually, without the unique element of #4 (the Spirit's prior work) should in fact be characterized as either T or UI, depending on what you want to say by T or UI. If the Spirit doesn't move first, then forget about anything salvific happening, period, no matter the mechanism.

I agree completely - this is probably what Rich is getting at as well when he talks about "hidden things." We are all called to choose God's salvation, but because of our sinful nature, we always choose sin. Only the working of the Holy Spirit can change our hearts to desire Him - we are incapable of choosing Him on our own. Even those of us raised in "Christian homes" who have heard the truth innumerable times need the work of the Spirit every bit as much as the isolated tribal people who have never heard the Gospel.

The point is that regardless of the mechanism in Chris's hypotheticals, the working of the Spirit is equally necessary in all to produce saving faith.

Chris,
Unreached heathen are dealt with in Romans 1- they are without excuse.
Any unreached person who God has elected will be saved,with whatever means God has ordained. The word of God preached or read most of the time.
Nothing secret or hidden in this.
Unreached persons are not responsible to respond to a message they have never heard. They are responsible for their sin however,having been born dead in Adam they will remain in the condition of death until the white throne judgment unless God who is rich in mercy calls them.
If anything Romans 10 does speak of the gentiles being called by the gospel to provoke Israel to jealousy 10:19-21:book2:

I just realized that I sort of "re-defined" the question in my answer. The OP was in reference to Romans 10:14-15 and I sort of answered the Romans 10:16-18 problem.

Anthony is correct in pointing out that an unreached people group is not judged for their lack of response to the Gospel. The Gospel comes to us externally. Man is created with a knowledge of God and of His Law written on his conscience but supresses that in unrighteousness. Man is not born with the News of Christ's death and resurrection. That requires News to be brought to a person.

Prior to the announcement of the Gospel, a person cannot respond to a call they have not yet heard. After they have heard it, however, they are without excuse for not believing the report if they reject the Gospel.

Prior to the Gospel, fallenness is not an excuse for supressing Truth in unrighteousnes and after the Gospel call fallenness is not an excuse for not believing the report. I think Paul aptly answers the objector who has a problem with that by telling him that he is in no position to object to God on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back