TR Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
I'd like to research the view that says the Textus Receptus is superior to the CT. Where is a good place to start? Can anyone provide a link?

Come, come now. Do I need to say something like "I think the NIV uses the best all around text" to get a reply? ;)

(or maybe I need to pay 5$) ?

[Edited on 24-1-2005 by Rick Larson]

Rick,

You should run a search - I think Greg (doulosChristou) has recommended some good books. There are books by DA Carson, Dean Burgeon, Jay Green and others.

Theodore Letis also has an interesting book called "The Ecclesiastical Text"

Here is Jay's response... Sorry Andrew, I forgot all about this question.

Dear Brother, there is not corrspondence between Letis and the so-called Dean Burgon Society.
The Dean Brurgon Soc, is a Front for D. A. Waite, who puts out very poor quality excerpts from Burgon. It is a closed Society. For Example, he knows that we have a very professional looking copy of Burgon's works, but Waite does not recommend it to members of his so-called society. Baisically, Letis believes in a majority text, but insists on keeping it framed in an Anglican church form. He has good information, and his book The Majority Text (out of print) was excellent. We intend to redo our publication, printing Burgon's two books verbatim, without my comments. I was trying to bring Burgon to the public without burying them in all his footnotes, for they are beyond all but scholars. Still the scholars are complaining that we have harmed Burgon by what we did. These scholars are content to write little articles to each other, and the public is kept in the dark as to the value of what they find. Our Unholy Hands 3 is ready to print when we get the funds. It will answer a lot of questions about the lack of foundation for today's critics and their translations.

[Edited on 5-26-2005 by puritancovenanter]

You might also want to take a look at "The New Testament in the Original Greek according to the Byzantine/Majority Textform," © 1991, Original Word Publishers, Inc., Atlanta, GA. by Maurice A. Robinson and William G. Pierpont.

The Introduction contains some very good information and can be found on-line at http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/RobPier.html

Enjoy. :)

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Here is Jay's response... Sorry Andrew, I forgot all about this question.

Dear Brother, there is not corrspondence between Letis and the so-called Dean Burgon Society.
The Dean Brurgon Soc, is a Front for D. A. Waite, who puts out very poor quality excerpts from Burgon. It is a closed Society. For Example, he knows that we have a very professional looking copy of Burgon's works, but Waite does not recommend it to members of his so-called society. Baisically, Letis believes in a majority text, but insists on keeping it framed in an Anglican church form. He has good information, and his book The Majority Text (out of print) was excellent. We intend to redo our publication, printing Burgon's two books verbatim, without my comments. I was trying to bring Burgon to the public without burying them in all his footnotes, for they are beyond all but scholars. Still the scholars are complaining that we have harmed Burgon by what we did. These scholars are content to write little articles to each other, and the public is kept in the dark as to the value of what they find. Our Unholy Hands 3 is ready to print when we get the funds. It will answer a lot of questions about the lack of foundation for today's critics and their translations.

[Edited on 5-26-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Thanks, Randy!

Originally posted by Rick Larson
I'd like to research the view that says the Textus Receptus is superior to the CT. Where is a good place to start? Can anyone provide a link?

Your imagination? :D

Originally posted by kevin.carroll

Yep. How could it be possible that the Church of all things would actually better preserve the Bible than godless academics! What were we thinking? :)

Originally posted by fredtgreco

Yep. How could it be possible that the Church of all things would actually better preserve the Bible than godless academics! What were we thinking? :)

If by the CHURCH, you mean Erasmus, then I guess I would have to agree with you.

You have such little faith in providence, Fred. ;)

Originally posted by fredtgreco

If by the CHURCH, you mean Erasmus, then I guess I would have to agree with you.

You have such little faith in providence, Fred. ;)

No, I don't just mean Erasmus. Remind me when the critical text was first used by ANY church? Oh, yeah, that would be the late 19th century.

So.... Does that mean all the churches were without the Bible for the vast majority of history? And what about before Erasmus? Was he some kind of time traveller? You do know that the text in the 14th century was basically the TR, don't you. You do know that Vaticanus was still in a garbage bin, don't you?

*user believes the MT most closely resembles the original text*

*user still believes the ESV is a good translation, though*

I'd like to see an ESV2 based on the MT (not the TR).

Originally posted by OS_X
*user believes the MT most closely resembles the original text*

*user still believes the ESV is a good translation, though*

I'd like to see an ESV2 based on the MT (not the TR).

I hear ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back