To All Getting The New Geneva Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
<GASP!> No, REALLY?

It seems that whenever I suggest such things (by saying that I don't like 'red letter bibles', for the reason you specify) that's the reaction I get. "Why aren't Christ's words more important?" People seem not to think about the implications of their holding to a "red letters count more" position.

:agree: We were just discussing this very thing the other night after our family worship. Interesting.

According to the First Edition Errata this was intentional and is not an error. I must admit that is a little confusing.

Same goes for Matt 24:15, which LadyFlynt spoke of earlier.

A littleconfusing? :um:

OK, we have the 4th printing of an edition of the Geneva which was first published in 1990. (I guess the Lord knew we'd reform one day ;) ) We bought ours 1996. This is with the original language, etc..

Ok, I guess we need a REAL ORIGINAL Geneva. Anybody have one? :um:

Hay:

I hope not! Red letter editions are Dispensational in nature, "Words of Christ in red." If we put the Words of Christ in red, then the whole Bible should be red letter!

The words of Peter, Paul, Luke, etc are just as authoritative as the actual words of Christ.

Blessings,

-CH
Intriguing. While I never liked Red Letter Bibles for that reason, you make an interesting and I think astute point in linking them to Dispensationalist thought.

Brother Ivan,

If I had it to do over again I would have bought the hardbound. I have leather one and I was able to purchase one of the limited calfskin editions at a greatly discounted price of which I've stored. I bought my leather bound one from American Vision. The apologetics group has them as well. Brother Jerry Johnson does a great work over there and I highly reccomend him and the Apologetics group. In comparing prices at various places I haven't noticed a great deal of difference.
Hope you are well today dear brother.

Bit of the sniffles today. Tomorrow should be interesting. The LORD will provide.

Thanks very much for the information, Brother James. I've made my decision.

Is the text of the Geneva Bible avaliable online anywhere?

I had been looking for this as well, that is, with the updated spelling/typeset. E-sword and others have the original, which is quite beautiful, but can be odd at times to our modern eyes.

Anyhow, might be old news to many, but I found this site: http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html

They have downloadable PDF versions of every book of the Bible and it looks like they are in the process of adding footnotes from both 1560/1599 (having completed the NT as well as Genesis and Exodus).

I'm not sure if they are related in any way though with Tolle Lege. Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back