Tips for Editors? Working from Home.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. I have, by the Lords grace; been afforded the wonderful opportunity to work from home as a full-time book editor for Monergism. This is so awesome because it is the ability to work for a non-profit that aligns with my dreams of offering Puritan literature to the world at no-cost (at least in digital form.) My question, for those who have possibly done editing full-time before, is what are some of your "best-practices"? Especially regarding work-loads. My schedule will be 8 hours a day, Mon-Fri. But I was thinking of breaking up the day, say, 2-3hrs on, and 30 minute-hour break between blocks. Also, when editing, is it better to have larger screens (I have duel 22inch now.) The people at Monergism said they are going to train me in editing software, I think it will be InDesign (or something similar) so I can simultaneously prep books for ePub/and PB publication. My biggest fear is giving them a solid 40 hours a week, and also, getting fanatical and doing more than 8 hours a day. I have yet to really be able to spend this much time doing the books daily, and am excited to think of the output, especially now with potentially having a source to get the Greek converted from ligatures to regular script. I never thought something like this would happen to me, and I am so grateful to the Lord for the chance to be able to do this while also having my living expenses met.

Also, are there any specific Puritan books that some would like to see offered at no cost? I recently finished Sedgwicks "Bowels of Tender Mercy" and sent that in, and am now working on Dickson's "Sacred Therapy" as kind of my last "volunteer" work before officially starting. But having Project Puritas, and now the Greek person, plus 8 hours to do this daily; with the Lord working through me, kind of makes it seem there is no end to the possibilities of getting many, many of these works done. This is contractual work, so it will go on as long as Monergism allows, but looking at the list, and seeing that it is indeed finite, makes me especially excited to start chipping away at it. It may very well be, that one day, even in the foreseeable future, that all the Puritan works will be offered to the world, free of charge for eReaders. Just have to keep pressing towards that goal.

I got used to working from home for 2 years during Covid and still do 4 days a week on average. My work is quite different, with lots of virtual meetings, but here are a couple of suggestions I have:
  • Blue light filtering helps with eye strain a lot. You can do this from your computer (more and more operating systems have it built in, but a software solution is f.lux) and from eye glasses. I find the eye glasses help more as they filter it from everywhere not just your screen.
  • Get up and stretch regularly. Find natural times to take breaks. Make sure you get your exercise too. You naturally get some movement in even most desk jobs that you don't get unless you're purposeful when you work from home.

Congratulations on what I imagine is a dream job for you!

Interesting question. I would love Caryl's commentary on Job myself but that isn't too pressing.

Now I get to tell everyone "I have a guy" at Monergism hahahaha

Congratulations on what I imagine is a dream job for you!

Interesting question. I would love Caryl's commentary on Job myself but that isn't too pressing.

Now I get to tell everyone "I have a guy" at Monergism hahahaha
It is a dream job for sure. I would have never had imagined; but there really is no end to the Lords surprises. The thing with Jobs commentary that sets it apart from other commentaries, is, if I am not mistaken, it is actually a collection of sermons, as opposed to a technical commentary. This makes it a lot more doable. Also, considering EEBO-TCP transcribed 8 out of the 12 volumes already, means there is only about 3,000 pages left to be transcribed. One of the good things about being able to do the books as a job, is you can venture off and do side-projects that do not affect progress in the over-all intended goal. Meaning, I could possibly one day try and start slowly typing out those 4 volumes, but Lord willing, still be able to put out Puritan books on a regular basis. So it is not out of the question; and a very real possibility for the future.

I don't have any advice to offer you but I just wanted to chime in and say praise the Lord! This seems like such a perfect place for you to serve the Lord with the burden he's placed on your heart. I'm thankful you have been given this opportunity.

I've worked from home for about 4 years now. I'd recommend coming up for air every two hours or so (set a timer if you get too engrossed in work to keep track of time) and take a lunch break. I usually like to put in a 5 hour morning so afternoons can be shorter unless work demands more than an 8 hour day (and it usually does).

Hello all. I have, by the Lords grace; been afforded the wonderful opportunity to work from home as a full-time book editor for Monergism. This is so awesome because it is the ability to work for a non-profit that aligns with my dreams of offering Puritan literature to the world at no-cost (at least in digital form.) My question, for those who have possibly done editing full-time before, is what are some of your "best-practices"? Especially regarding work-loads. My schedule will be 8 hours a day, Mon-Fri. But I was thinking of breaking up the day, say, 2-3hrs on, and 30 minute-hour break between blocks. Also, when editing, is it better to have larger screens (I have duel 22inch now.) The people at Monergism said they are going to train me in editing software, I think it will be InDesign (or something similar) so I can simultaneously prep books for ePub/and PB publication. My biggest fear is giving them a solid 40 hours a week, and also, getting fanatical and doing more than 8 hours a day. I have yet to really be able to spend this much time doing the books daily, and am excited to think of the output, especially now with potentially having a source to get the Greek converted from ligatures to regular script. I never thought something like this would happen to me, and I am so grateful to the Lord for the chance to be able to do this while also having my living expenses met.

Also, are there any specific Puritan books that some would like to see offered at no cost? I recently finished Sedgwicks "Bowels of Tender Mercy" and sent that in, and am now working on Dickson's "Sacred Therapy" as kind of my last "volunteer" work before officially starting. But having Project Puritas, and now the Greek person, plus 8 hours to do this daily; with the Lord working through me, kind of makes it seem there is no end to the possibilities of getting many, many of these works done. This is contractual work, so it will go on as long as Monergism allows, but looking at the list, and seeing that it is indeed finite, makes me especially excited to start chipping away at it. It may very well be, that one day, even in the foreseeable future, that all the Puritan works will be offered to the world, free of charge for eReaders. Just have to keep pressing towards that goal.
  • If you have a 2-story house, run your stairs (or double step) rather than walking
  • Use a motorized desk that you can raise and lower so you can stand up sometimes as you work
  • Take another break from the chair by sitting on an exercise ball at your desk for stretching/balance/stability stretches as you work
  • Put an inversion table in your office for quick 1 or 2 minute breaks upside down (or during phone calls as you work (I bought a used one for $25). Time upside down is like coffee or a chocolate and gives your brain a big burst of oxygen. Also, scripture or catechism memorization or prayer breaks are easier upside down.
  • If you watch youtube or whatever during lunch (or business webinars) rather than sitting on the couch, stay on the floor and stretch; limber, pain-free muscles keep you from getting as tired-out at the end of the day. For hard floors, use a pad; and an old bedsheet on the floor is good, too.
  • Rather than sitting at my desk for intense professional reading, I often copy the text to a word file and convert to a PDF, then go to the couch to read it. If I get sleepy, I just go upside down on the inversion table for a minute or two and I am quickly fired-up to solve whatever puzzling question I have at that moment
  • And I would remember Edward’s admonition regarding translation

Praising God with you, brother! I've been remote for over four years now, and it's been great, especially with young children. While I do miss the office from time to time, I'd rather be near my family.

How do I get a job like that? Lol.
Dave had been voluntarily investing a LOT of free personal time on projects for Monergism and other ventures making free Christian resources available to people, so it’s good to hear that he is able to take this opportunity.
To be honest I thought it was all the work of the founder, John Hendryx, and didn’t realise they had the scope for any kind of paid role.

I’m not an editor, but I’ve been working from home for the last 4+ years since COVID. The hardest aspect of working from home for me is the gradual enmeshment I get from being part of the family’s daily routine. My kids are mostly teenagers, so I have become a taxi driver and emotional-support-husband/dad throughout the day, which makes my concentration-intensive job take a back seat at times. I do my best to set healthy boundaries for when I am available to others, and I try to take 2-3 walks per day. You underestimate how helpful the drive to work is for your ability to think, and you regain some of that by walking regularly.

I have had a love hate relationship with working from home. Make sure you set boundaries for when you’re going to stop being at the computer. I find technology often makes me lose track of time and sense, and puts other duties at risk (whether that be spiritual or not).

Dave had been voluntarily investing a LOT of free personal time on projects for Monergism and other ventures making free Christian resources available to people, so it’s good to hear that he is able to take this opportunity.
To be honest I thought it was all the work of the founder, John Hendryx, and didn’t realise they had the scope for any kind of paid role.
Having followed his site for some time, from time to time he will post employment opportunities. While I am not privy to the ins and outs, the website is vast and covers much more than the no-cost literature. He is also venturing into the paperback market, hoping to turn all of the eBooks on the site, to low-cost PB's where applicable. Some books on the site are too big for that though. At the same time, is does reach 1,000's on a daily basis, and from what I understand is supported by monetary gifts; but I could be wrong on that. While this is totally a work from the Lord; I think one thing that allows him to possibly venture out in this aspect, at least in my case, is my ability to survive on a low-monetary footprint. I have no wife or kids, and dont plan to (Lord willing) so it doesnt call for a huge salary. Also, I dont have a degree, nor student loans (thank you Jesus,) or a "career;" but was working a job that is pretty open and almost always available in my area (which is institutional food service) so, even if this lasts only a year or two; I can still be overwhelmingly grateful for the opportunity while at the same time, realistically be able to pick up in another like spot if this opportunity becomes no longer accessible.

Project Puritas has put us in a position where the possibility to do many, many works is feasible with the Lord guiding the way. And because I really align with Monergisms vision to offer no-cost ebooks, while offering low-cost print books, if the Lord will allow me, I will exert myself fully to hopefully one day make it the premier site for Puritan literature, even more than it presently it is. Not so it can be known "as the site," but because if I truly believe revival is necessary, and that impoverished nations are in great danger of heterodoxy, then getting what I (and others) believe is one of the most orthodox periods in church history into the hands of them, without regional or financial barriers, is a motive I can stand behind 100%. Monergism has been doing this long before I knew the site existed, but it is such a blessing to now contribute with the plethora of works still left to do. This is not to put others down in any way, it is not my intent. It is just my personal reasons for being so excited, and considering it such a blessing to be, even if momentarily, a part of their team on a full-time basis.

Last edited:
Edward Leigh please? :)
Unfortunately, when beginning to do the Greek Key for Leighs work, specifically "A Body of Divinity" I noticed much of even the main body is in Latin. Kind of along the same lines of William Twisses "The Riches of Gods Love." This is beyond my personal scope of ability to do. And even though I could theoretically do the text with all the Latin in it, it would be at the cost of time I could be doing other texts that have much, much smaller segments of Latin, and/or are more readable to a much larger audience. Maybe one day it will get done, but for now, I just have too many text options with far fewer segments of Latin that I can offer. It looks like there were certain books that were written for general audiences in the Puritan times, and texts that were specifically written for scholars in the same period. The above mentioned two look like the latter.

Unfortunately, when beginning to do the Greek Key for Leighs work, specifically "A Body of Divinity" I noticed much of even the main body is in Latin. Kind of along the same lines of William Twisses "The Riches of Gods Love." This is beyond my personal scope of ability to do. And even though I could theoretically do the text with all the Latin in it, it would be at the cost of time I could be doing other texts that have much, much smaller segments of Latin, and/or are more readable to a much larger audience. Maybe one day it will get done, but for now, I just have too many text options with far fewer segments of Latin that I can offer. It looks like there were certain books that were written for general audiences in the Puritan times, and texts that were specifically written for scholars in the same period. The above mentioned two look like the latter.
I know a Latinist you could hire. Folks might even be willing to pitch in for the cost.

I know a Latinist you could hire. Folks might even be willing to pitch in for the cost.
I have thought of that, the problem is the cost. Latinists are quite a bit more expensive than Greek converters for ligatures. But for the time being, knowing you are very apt in Latin, I will keep you in mind; most definitely.

To me it isnt a make or break issue at the moment. I have close to 2,000 larger texts to do works from, and over 4,000 smaller ones I could create Puritan anthologies from. That is just Puritans & Non-Conformists, not counting Reformers. Take out the commentaries and extensive Latin texts and thats probably around 1,500 larger ones. Might have to hold out for someone who has a heart to do it, but is not dependent for it on their livelihood or to support themselves. This can make a huge difference. I'm not against a worker earning a wage, not at all, but given my budget and the cost of Latin translation, its just something I cant venture much into personally.

Thank you so much for reaching out, it means a lot; and I wish I could throw money out there as I know such tasks are worth it. But my monetary constraints wont allow it at this time on a regular basis. I will keep you in mind if I run across something that seems feasible for me to manage, and honestly, I do have something in mind that you may be able to quote me on. While doing Vermigli, there were about 2-3 pages missing in the English translation (that I have ran across so far.) I have checked all available facsimiles, even EEBO's, and the same pages are missing. But they are available in the Latin text of his Loci Communes. It is in Book II, Chap. II, between Sect. 13-16, dealing with Freewill. If you want to look over the folio, get a guestimate of the text count, and quote me for the 2-3 pages, I might can manage that at this time. But at the moment, that is my only real need for Latin translation. I looked over Twisse's text tonight, and to have you translate that would be like an entire book itself. Sorry, I'm too poor for that, lol. Again, thank you for reaching out, and really your the first person I already think of when I think of a Latin guy I can actually get ahold of.

Last edited:
How do I get a job like that? Lol.

Well, in this case David has poured hundreds of hours of his own time and paid for things on his own dime because it was something he felt strongly about and was in a position to do. The benefit he brought to the organization as a volunteer made it clear that he would be an asset under contract. He has been outstanding for diligence and effort, and that personal commitment was recognized.

Proverbs 22:29 - Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.

Last edited:
Well, in this case David has poured hundreds of hours of his own time and paid for things on his own dime because it was something he felt strongly about and was in a position to do. The benefit he brought to the organization as a volunteer made it clear that he would be an asset under contract. He has been outstanding for diligence and effort, and that personal commitment was recognized.

Proverbs 22:29 - Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.
Point taken; albeit the question, while not entirely off-handed, was mostly so.

My work is volunteer and part time but can easily balloon past full time, especially when rebuilding a website. It helps to have specific work hours and to be deliberate about when you'll exceed that timeframe. Give yourself a date when you'll go back to normal. Otherwise, life can feel like a tough treadmill with no end in sight.

Have you previously worked in the Adobe ecosystem? If not, training will help considerably. Watch for "best practices" which can mean you'll get the project started correctly. Be diligent about using layers and developing and applying styles.

Unless Monergism has a specific workflow, I highly recommend using a word processor to get clean copy before flowing it in to InDesign. Use tools to strip the text of the formatting an author may have added, much of which can interact strangely within Adobe. You can use the tools to search and replace double spaces between sentences or to fix having five spaces typed in manually at the beginning of a paragraph. (Trust InDesign's paragraph styles to do all this consistently and if need be, changeably across an entire document.) These tools can also be a good way to search for spelling consistency and style problems such as how ellipses are presented in a text. Within InDesign, create templates. They'll save you a lot of time so you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you start a new project.

It's been a while since I've worked with a full-length manuscript, but if memory serves me correctly, you can denote places for the table of contents as you go along and topics you want indexed. This is easier than going back and finding every instance later. I seem to remember another trick of using anchor links to get me back to specific places in the text so I didn't have to do a lot of searching. My work was going to a printer though, so this might be tricky if it interferes with the links that will be going out on the public slide of a digital document.

Last edited:
My work is volunteer and part time but can easily balloon past full time, especially when rebuilding a website. It helps to have specific work hours and to be deliberate about when you'll exceed that timeframe. Give yourself a date when you'll go back to normal. Otherwise, life can feel like a tough treadmill with no end in sight.

Have you previously worked in the Adobe ecosystem? If not, training will help considerably. Watch for "best practices" which can mean you'll get the project started correctly. Be diligent about using layers and developing and applying styles.

Unless Monergism has a specific workflow, I highly recommend using a word processor to get clean copy before flowing it in to InDesign. Use tools to strip the text of the formatting an author may have added, much of which can interact strangely within Adobe. You can use the tools to search and replace double spaces between sentences or to fix having five spaces typed in manually at the beginning of a paragraph. (Trust InDesign's paragraph styles to do all this consistently and if need be, changeably across an entire document.) These tools can also be a good way to search for spelling consistency and style problems such as how ellipses are presented in a text. Within InDesign, create templates. They'll save you a lot of time so you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you start a new project.

It's been a while since I've worked with a full-length manuscript, but if memory serves me correctly, you can denote places for the table of contents as you go along and topics you want indexed. This is easier than going back and finding every instance later. I seem to remember another trick of using anchor links to get me back to specific places in the text so I didn't have to do a lot of searching. My work was going to a printer though, so this might be tricky if it interferes with the links that will be going out on the public slide of a digital document.
This is really one of the things that both excites me and scares me. It excites me, because I will have the possible opportunity to now spend all day doing the books, while being able to support myself. The thing that frightens me about this aspect is not having a balance where I tell myself it is OK to keep "work" work and "freetime," freetime. At the same time, there is a great opportunity here to really get stuff done. For instance, this morning I am collecting the Greek for Burgess' "The True Doctrine of Justification." At about 300 instances, this will run me around $60 to get converted. I only mention this, because the extra money I now have for going from 6 to 8 hours a day, and getting a $2 raise, will enable me to get more Greek converted; and the extra time I now have to do books, will allow me to do more of them in a shorter period. So there is a part of me that fears burning the candle short, but then, there is a part of me that maybe thinks if there were a time to burn the candle short, it would be this opportunity which may only last for a moment. If I was able to get about 65 books done in the last 11 months, while having to work half the day; I only imagine by Gods strength and grace, what I may possibly be able to do getting to spend all day on it? So I really want to give it an honest go, so when I do look back, I do not possibly regret not putting in 100%.

With the editing software, not sure if it is going to be InDesign, but which ever one it is, he said he wants me to spend the first 3 or so days specifically learning it, and he has training videos he is going to send me. So I am looking forward to that as well.

Back