Time to Learn More...Much More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
My Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Most of what I have learned about Covenant Theology has been from the various internet boards that I frequent. However, I believe that I have much, much to learn. In this area I believe I am yet a babe.

This is my question: what is THE one book that you would recommend for an understanding of Covenant Theology? I have a lot on my table right now, preaching sermons, studying Biblical Counseling, working over night, family, church, et al. I need the one book to start out with.

What is that one book?

Witsius :judge:

I think it is out of print, but you may still be able to get it from www.wtsbooks.com

Of course, the issue is too huge for there to be one book, but Witsius will get you about 80% to 90% there.

I wouldn't suggest starting with Witsius. There are too many concepts which require pre-understanding. Certainly one should have it as a goal. Robertson deals with passages from an exegetical standpoint rather than a systematic one. He would be good to criticaly reflect on at a later stage. I would suggest reading Robert Shaw and A. A. Hodge (in that order) on the Westminster Confession, chapter 7. With the basic structure understood, an exposition like Witsius' will be better appreciated.

Originally posted by armourbearer
I wouldn't suggest starting with Witsius. There are too many concepts which require pre-understanding. Certainly one should have it as a goal. Robertson deals with passages from an exegetical standpoint rather than a systematic one. He would be good to criticaly reflect on at a later stage. I would suggest reading Robert Shaw and A. A. Hodge (in that order) on the Westminster Confession, chapter 7. With the basic structure understood, an exposition like Witsius' will be better appreciated.

Thank you, Matthew. Good advice indeed. I wouldn't start with Witsius anymore than I would start with John Owen! :book2:

I have ordered this book, "God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology" by Michael Horton, and will proceed from there. I'll be purchasing a book on Covenant Theology from a Baptist viewpoint in the near future.

What? No one suggested starting with Meredith Kline? ;)

I think Horton is a wise place to start Ivan.

I don't know of any books that are a good place to start AND a good place to continue. It appears with this subject we need a primer (Horton, Robertson, McMahon, Goldsworthy, etc.) and then move up to advanced expositions such as Witsius, Kline, and Owen.

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
What? No one suggested starting with Meredith Kline? ;)

I think Horton is a wise place to start Ivan.

I don't know of any books that are a good place to start AND a good place to continue. It appears with this subject we need a primer (Horton, Robertson, McMahon, Goldsworthy, etc.) and then move up to advanced expositions such as Witsius, Kline, and Owen.

Well, I certainly will be taking a look at the work of that McMahon guy! : ;)

[Edited on 7-26-2006 by Ivan]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back