Theological discussions in the cinema! Can you add any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I was watching "Minority Report" last night with Tom Cruise and it occurred to me that it was a discussion about free will. Essentially people were being arrested before they committed a murder on the assumption that they would complete the murder. The question is did they still have choice at the point where they were on the brink. It occurred to me that it was the question of whether the will is free or not. Yup, Arminianism v Calvinism on the big screen.

Then I began to think about other films that beg the same question, The Adjustment Bureau and Matrix. I know that it is not strictly speaking a perfect match and the way the question is framed but I can see folks outside the church wrestling with it.

Take the Matrix for example when Neo meets with the Oracle:
Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
Neo: What vase?
[Neo turns to look for a vase, and as he does, he knocks over a vase of flowers, which shatters on the floor.]
Oracle: That vase.
Neo: I'm sorry--
Oracle: I said don't worry about it. I'll get one of my kids to fix it.
Neo: How did you know?
Oracle: Ohh, what's really going to bake you're noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?

It might be the opportunity to discuss some of the issues with a friend or even design a tract to pick up on the issues raised in the film?

Anyone else see theology in films. I don't mean clearly articulated questions but rather the opportunity afforded by "the Athenian statue to an unknown God!"

The question of whether the will is free or not is a question of indeterminism vs. determinism and compatibilism vs. incompatibilism, not Calvinism vs. Arminianism. Both Calvinism and Arminianism affirm free will against causal determinism; both Calvinism and Arminianism deny free will in such a way as to thwart foreknowledge.

I watched The Tracker the other night and the main character was a religious Boer from South Africa hunting down a Maori in early 1900's New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back