themes of Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm .... I'm hoping your use of the word "interesting" is meant just as I've typed it .... ;) See his closing remarks ....

"In the same way that you know "Starwars" and the "Force" are not religious by today's understanding of the word, I hope that I have now convinced you of the TRUTH that the Old Testament; New Testament; Koran; God and Christ are not religious (by today's definition) either and that I have helped you all towards a new (to you), TRUE and SENSIBLE understanding of the Teachings. You should read the new "King of kings' Bible", which contains all three Holy Books.

I have kept this explanation as short as possible because if I had gone into detail on every point, it would have become a book, and I have already written a Book (The Way home or face The Fire) to explain everything in detail."

I always get a kick out of efforts try to spiritualise the secular. I cannot think of a greater waste of time. Don't get me wrong - I thought Star Wars was a hoot in terms of entertainment - but to try and extract Biblical truth out of a movie (or book) where the authour didn't have the least intention of placing any in the first place ... seems like a mission where failure is an absolute guarantee.

If we're going to try and uncover the allegorical value of Star Wars, we had best ignore the following Biblically-incongruent elements:

Anakin's virgin birth
Anakin being the "promised one" - only to succumb to evil
Wait, did I say evil ... he symbolises the devil, but at the end of Episode VI, he becomes good .... now I'm confused ....
Yoda's instruction to Luke (during the Dagobah boot camp sessions) "Don't think ... feel the Force ...." "use your instincts" - I trust he's not talking about the instincts the Bible teaches us we have .... Jeremiah 17:9
"œ The heart is deceitful above all things,And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

So, to truly spiritualise Star Wars, we would have to trim the Star Wars Anthology down to only what could fit as a Biblical allegory, in which case we'd be left with a 2 minute-long movie:

Federation starships attack earth (sin enters the world),
Anakin's mom taken by the slaves (total enslavement of sin)
Obi-wan get's killed by Darth Vader (sacrificial death), and 2nd death star blows up (Old earth passes away)

Who knows, there might have been enough time left over for the credits ... :)

I'm being fascetious, of course, but I just believe it a grand waste of time to extract Biblical principles from secular drama - 'cause as soon as you do, the contradictions and inconsistencies will just pour out ... :)

dl

[Edited on 4-12-2006 by Cuirassier]

We could view Anakin and Luke as two federal heads. Yoda and Obi Wan are the Law/tutors. The Emporer is the Devil. The Force is 'God.' Of course this all breaks down too :) That's what happens when your primary religious influence is Eastern mysticism.

[Edited on 4-13-2006 by puritansailor]

Originally posted by Scott
I posted the link for entertainment.

See, what you get for trying to entertain?! :D ;)

:lol: :lol:

I really do not think that anyone took the link seriously....
Atleast, I would hope not anyway :um:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back