The Works of Jonathan Edwards - What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
What is the difference between the 2 vol. Banner of Truth edition and the 2 vol. Hendrickson edition? Are the contents the same? Is one more readable? I'm trying to understand why there is such a remarkable price difference between these two sets.

Both cvbbs and monergism are currently selling the Hendrickson edition for $39.99...

The Hendrickson edition is a reprint from the 1834 works by Edward Hickman. I believe the Banner of Truth edition is also a reprint of this edition but I am not certain.

One thing about the Hendrickson edition is that the pages have two columns and the font is quite small (you can see what I mean in this sample pdf: http://graphics.christianbook.com/g/pdf/hp/1565630858-ch01.pdf). I don't know if the Banner of Truth edition has a larger font or not.

The Hendrickson edition goes on sale quite frequently, although I also do not know why.

[Edited on 2-4-2006 by daveb]

The binding for the Banner of Truth version is supposed to be of higher quality. The fonts are supposed to be approximately equivalent.

Originally posted by daveb
The Hendrickson edition is a reprint from the 1834 works by Edward Hickman. I believe the Banner of Truth edition is also a reprint of this edition but I am not certain.

One thing about the Hendrickson edition is that the pages have two columns and the font is quite small (you can see what I mean in this sample pdf: http://graphics.christianbook.com/g/pdf/hp/1565630858-ch01.pdf). I don't know if the Banner of Truth edition has a larger font or not.

The Hendrickson edition goes on sale quite frequently, although I also do not know why.

[Edited on 2-4-2006 by daveb]

Hendrickson stuff frequently goes on sale. I have their 1 vol. Unabridged Matthew Henry Commentary. The type is so small that it's very difficult to read at length.

One thing about the Hendrickson edition is that the pages have two columns and the font is quite small ... I don't know if the Banner of Truth edition has a larger font or not.

I have both. Compared to my Banner of Truth copy, the Hendrickson edition appears to be quite large. It's the one I generally use. When I get out the Banner of Truth version I also have to get out a magnifying glass. Seriously.

The Binding on the B.O.T. edition is much nicer but the print is small. I wear my reading glasses and it's not to bad.

Originally posted by Globachio
One thing about the Hendrickson edition is that the pages have two columns and the font is quite small ... I don't know if the Banner of Truth edition has a larger font or not.

I have both. Compared to my Banner of Truth copy, the Hendrickson edition appears to be quite large. It's the one I generally use. When I get out the Banner of Truth version I also have to get out a magnifying glass. Seriously.

Interesting. I've always wanted to compare the two since I thought the font in the Hendrickson edition was a little small. :detective:

Both cvbbs and monergism are currently selling the Hendrickson edition for $39.99...

Should also mention that I think this is a great price for a great set! :book2:

My question is why is it so cheap all of a sudden? Companies tend to do this to get rid of an edition so that they can then release a new version. Perhaps the new one could be be nicer?

Both are miserably small-print... The cosmic irony is that Edwards was almost as blind as a bat and couldn't read his own works in our time. I wish someone would edit a version of Edwards writings in regular-print and produce an anthology of selections. Of course, getting his complete works cost an arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back