The Second Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathetes

Puritan Board Freshman
I don't have any commentaries on Revelation, so I was wondering if anyone would care to elaborate on what they think the second death means, or maybe even the idea of eternal death.

I'm debating some things back and forth with an annihilationist and I've already pointed out Scriptures that show that the fate of the lost is eternal, without end, etc.

~*but*~

for my own sake, I think I'd like to get a better idea of what the Bible means by either the second death, or eternal death, or maybe both. Of course, he thinks that "death" means annihilation, but putting that aside for the moment I think it has more to do with separation from God. Am I on the right track?

The damned can be said to exist eternally, but they don't have eternal *life* per se...would you think this is correct?

Revelation 20:12-15 (emphasis added)
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

The second death is being cast into the lake of fire where the worm dieth not and the fire is never quenched (which shows that it is eternal and not annihilation).

From RC Sproul on Hell:

Hell, then, is an eternity before the righteous, ever-burning wrath of God, a suffering torment from which there is no escape and no relief. Understanding this is crucial to our drive to appreciate the work of Christ and to preach His gospel.

Summary

The suffering of hell is beyond any experience of misery found in this world.
Hell is clearly included in the teaching of Jesus.
If the biblical descriptions of hell are symbols, then the reality will be worse than the symbols.
Hell is the presence of God in His wrath and judgment.
There is no cruelty in hell. Hell will be a place of perfect justice.
Hell is eternal. There is no escape through either repentance or annihilation.
Biblical passages for reflection: Matthew 8:11-12, Mark 9:42-48, Luke 16:19-31, Jude 1:3-13, Revelation 20:11-15.

Link: R.C. Sproul on Hell

The way I understand it, it you're born once you die twice. If you're born twice you die once.

The damned can be said to exist eternally, but they don't have eternal *life* per se...would you think this is correct?

John 17:3
3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Those in hell do not "know" God in a salvific sense. So even though they "exist" eternally in hell. They do not have eternal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back