The Millionaire Next Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Stanley, Thomas J., Danko, William D. The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprise Secrets of America’s Wealthy. Lanham, MD: Taylor Trade Publishing, 1996.

What would it be like if Solomon wrote a modern-day investing account? Many of the ideas in Proverbs translate quite well to today’s marketplace. Thomas Stanley’s argument is simple: early on, you can be wealthy or “rich,” but you likely cannot be both. Rich people usually generate high income, but since they are high spenders, it does not equate to long-term wealth. Wealthy people, those whom Stanley labels”prodigious accumulators of wealth,” or PAWs, generally live be seven principles:

1. They live below their means.
  2. They allocate time and resources to build wealth.
  3. Financial independence is more important than high social status.
  4. Parents did not engage in “economic outpatienting.”
  5. They want their adult children to be both financially successful and independent.
  6. They target marketing opportunities.
  7. They chose the right occupations.

These are general principles, much like the book of Proverbs.There are exceptions, but this seems accurate. By contrast, “average accumulators of wealth,” or AAWs, do not plan and they prioritize the new iPhone. (Stanley wrote several decades ago. Evidently, buying a $2,000 watch was the equivalent of an iPhone). AAWs are high-income, high expense. This is evidenced by vague-financial goals and short term activity on the stock market, buying and selling stocks based on the latest prediction.

One good way to build wealth is to minimize taxable income and maximize unrealized income (e.g., wealth appreciation without a cash flow). Other factors include never purchasing a home that requires an inordinate amount of total realized annual income.

Are you wealthy? Stanley offers the following equation

Age X realized pre-tax income, excepting inheritances; divide by 10.

Conclusion

I am not a millionaire. I do not know if I will ever get there. Moreover, this book’s use of statistics has been criticized by professionals, or so I hear. I do not know how to read statistics, anyway. The conservative, long-term vision for growing wealth seems sound, though. It fits with biblical principles.

Some folks (including some on this board) are never going to be in a position where they can accumulate wealth. The book seems to be aimed more at the middle class who can't distinguish between wants and needs. (Although I suppose the same could be said of the working poor and the lower middle class that consider tobacco, alcohol, pot, and lottery tickets as needs.)

Some folks (including some on this board) are never going to be in a position where they can accumulate wealth. The book seems to be aimed more at the middle class who can't distinguish between wants and needs. (Although I suppose the same could be said of the working poor and the lower middle class that consider tobacco, alcohol, pot, and lottery tickets as needs.)

That's a fair point and he didn't really address it. I'd probably keep that caveat in mind.

This might be a good time and place to ask for wisdom's sake. This morning I was actually thinking about how much money in the bank is too much? At what point are we storing up treasures on earth? I know every situation is unique and different, I'm just wondering if anyone has any good general principles. The older I get, and see how much things cost throughout a lifetime, would it be too much wealth for a family of five to have at least a million dollars in the bank? That sounds pretty extraordinary, but when we think about college, housing, vehicles, and things like that to try to bless our children and give them a good start, and retirement and things like that for ourselves, at that point a million dollars doesn't seem like too much anymore.

would it be too much wealth for a family of five to have at least a million dollars in the bank?

I wouldn't have it all in one bank, given FDIC only insures up to so much. The best thing to do is invest wisely over decades. Proverbs talks about leaving wealth and inheritance to one's grandkids, so keep that in mind before you give it all away.
That sounds pretty extraordinary, but when we think about college, housing, vehicles, and things like that to try to bless our children and give them a good start, and retirement and things like that for ourselves, at that point a million dollars doesn't seem like too much anymore.

It isn't a lot. And keep your eye on the horizon, in case the government enacts policies where they try to take your money and redistribute it to valuable voting blogs.

This might be a good time and place to ask for wisdom's sake. This morning I was actually thinking about how much money in the bank is too much? At what point are we storing up treasures on earth? I know every situation is unique and different, I'm just wondering if anyone has any good general principles. The older I get, and see how much things cost throughout a lifetime, would it be too much wealth for a family of five to have at least a million dollars in the bank? That sounds pretty extraordinary, but when we think about college, housing, vehicles, and things like that to try to bless our children and give them a good start, and retirement and things like that for ourselves, at that point a million dollars doesn't seem like too much anymore.

Once you factor in retirement and emergencies, $1M is not a lot. I strongly recommend watching Caleb Hammer. He teaches millennials things like how many works.

And Paul says he who doesn't provide for his family is worse than an unbeliever. What counts as "enough?" On one level, that cannot be answered precisely, since the cost of living rises and falls, especially in an inflated economy. The mentality in this book, if I can adjust it from 1990s terminology to today, is live below your means, have an emergency fund in case you get laid off, and save wisely--usually by smart investments--over decades. I don't think Jesus would disagree with any of that.

And people who pray for their daily bread still go to work in the morning, presumably so they can buy their bread.

What if someone needs help? Help them. It isn't rocket science (unless they are emotional con artists, then tell them to get lost. Sorry, speaking from experience).

The whole premise of the book is not to live lavishly.

How do you know this?
Sorry, caught you too late. I had deleted my comment as I am busy at the moment and thought twice about getting into a long discourse.

And I apologize; as a person desiring to live perpetually single, I forget that having not to worry about storing generational wealth, nor really accumulating much for myself more than I need to take care of my necessities leaves my ill-equipped to engage in much of this discussion. I can see how it is different for those who have to worry about such things.

Last edited:
Sorry, caught you too late. I had deleted my comment as I am busy at the moment and thought twice about getting into a long discourse.

And I apologize; as a person desiring to live perpetually single, I forget that having not to worry about storing generational wealth, nor really accumulating much for myself more than I need to take care of my necessities leaves my ill-equipped to engage in much of this discussion. I can see how it is different for those who have to worry about such things.

Understood. I'll delete my comment, too.

This morning I was actually thinking about how much money in the bank is too much?
I know the answer to this one. $250,000.01.

Yes, there are ways around it. But if the bank messes up the paperwork, it's you that takes the hit, not the banker, when the bank fails.

(I know that's not what you are talking about, but it's a technically accurate answer in the US.)

would it be too much wealth for a family of five to have at least a million dollars in the bank?
$2 million is the old $1 million for a comfortable retirement and leaving something behind. The last year of life for a retiree is extraordinarily expensive in many cases. Circumstances also matter - does one have a disabled child that s/he needs to make provision for. And some folks find that they are making more in retirement than they ever did during their working years, and wishing they had spent more in their younger years. Most folks say that you can generally take out $40,000 a year in retirement with a $1,000,000 nest egg, reasonably conservatively invested. Figuring in Bidenomics, that's not looking so hot a few years down the road. Add in Social security, and the numbers start looking better.

Raising the age for taking required distribution of retirement funds from 70.5 to 72 to 73 recognizes that more folks are needing to work longer. (And changing the rules on inherited retirement funds means the IRS is going to get a lot bigger slice when you die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back