The Adjustment Bureau ...with Matt Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantlyreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
Who has seen the movie. I found it intriguing as it deals directly with human free will, and what that free will is. As we were watching it last night, one of the characters comments that essentially we have free will to choose simple things, but the bigger things in life are guided by a higher power....

CNN reports:

In "The Adjustment Bureau."
The film poses the big question, "Do we have free will to choose the lives we want to lead, or are we controlled
by some sort of celestial being?"

Intriguing movie.....who's watched it?

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

according to Wikipedia:

Some reviewers identified Judeo-Christian theological implications, such as an omnipotent and omniscient God,[14][15] as well as the concepts of free will and predestination.[16][17] Moreover, it has been said that the Chairman represents God,[18] while His caseworkers are angels.[7][8] The director of the film, George Nolfi, stated that the "intention of this film is to raise questions."[19]

The Adjustment Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw it and enjoyed the free will vs determinism theme.

That said, I thought the story had a weak ending. It was an interesting dilemma they had set up, and I was interested to see how it resolved. I just wish the resolution had been a little less...I don't know, forced...or cheap.

I saw it. I was definitely an interesting concept, but it left a little lacking. Perhaps it was the ending. I immediately drew the connection between the chairman as "God". Of course, their were ways to get around the chairman so it wasn't like he was compeltely omniscient. And the free-will concept was skewed because it was like they weren't supposed to have free-will but then they could affect it if they tried.

I saw it, enjoyed it, found it more thought-provoking than most Hollywood movies.

Philosophically and theologically, it was a mish mash. Neither Calvinist nor Arminian. It was merely suggestive and had a lame resolution in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back