Suggestions for work bible study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm leading a bible study/devotional time at work. Last year we went through the Lord's prayer (I used Thomas Hooker as our guide) and after that we went through the letter to Philemon (more or less verse by verse). I have 15-30 minutes available once a week.
I was considering: Hebrews, The Psalms, or a Puritan book (Like Keeping the Heart). Any other suggestions?

I'm leading a bible study/devotional time at work. Last year we went through the Lord's prayer (I used Thomas Hooker as our guide) and after that we went through the letter to Philemon (more or less verse by verse). I have 15-30 minutes available once a week.
I was considering: Hebrews, The Psalms, or a Puritan book (Like Keeping the Heart). Any other suggestions?
Everyone participating get a copy of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Studies in the Sermon on the Mount. Have the participants read a chapter a week at home, and discuss it during the class.

That is a good suggestion, but getting each one a copy will be a waste since most of them will not read something like that (I know, I know...).

It's understandable that asking participants to read on their own won't work. But working through the Sermon on the Mount is still an excellent suggestion. It's compelling and challenging, it provides many opportunities to talk about the life of faith, and it introduces people to Jesus. The fact that you've already done the Lord's Prayer could be a reason to say, "Let's keep going." And Lloyd-Jones' book would make a great guide for you as the leader, even if others are unlikely to read it.

Would you mind sharing the nature of your work and how you went about organizing such a group? I'm interested in starting something similar.

I would suggest Jonty Rhodes' Covenants Made Simple. It is an excellent and well-written introduction to Covenant Theology. What a blessing it would be to introduce these people to such a vital topic.
I led a Bible study on the Gospel of John at work. It was a blessing.

Last edited:
You could skip over the few parts that might bother a Baptist
I was raised on the Heidelberg Catechism.
Furthermore, many of the folks in our study are in quasi-reformed churches, so that might be a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back