Suggestion on book about OT Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew1142

Puritan Board Freshman
I just got an Amazon gift card and was looking to spend it, and a topic that I've been wanting to learn more about lately is how the Old Testament applies to the Christian. (Long story short, I felt like I'd been ignoring the OT for far too long, considering how much respect Jesus and Paul give it. I'm wanting to figure out why certain laws no longer apply to us, and how we can determine which laws are "ceremonial" and which are "moral.")

I've started reading Gordon Wenham's commentary on Leviticus (barely started so far), and one book that he references is "The Authority of the Old Testament" by John Bright, but unfortunately I don't really know much about John Bright otherwise. Anyone have any ideas if that's good?

I also already have Philip Ross's "By The Hand of God," which is on my to-read list. I'm not really thinking that I agree with him, but I haven't read the book yet, so I may very well change my mind.

I've also thought about Bahnsen's "By This Standard" and Rushdoony's "By What Standard," but I may not be correctly understanding exactly what Theonomism is.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any good ideas?

I think that Bahnsen and Rushdoony are good choices. Also look at some of the Messianic Jewish literature for a different perspective.

Rushdoony's "By What Standard?" is about Cornelius van Til's philosophy and apologetics, rather than how to apply OT ethics today. Messianic teaching is very uneven and may be overtly dispensational or Judaistic, rather than Reformed. See relevant books by Stan Telchin and Baruch Maoz on this.

The position of the Westminster Confession and the Westminster divines, which is different from that of theonomianism, is explained in detail, contra Bahnsen, in "The Confessional Presbyterian Journal, Volume 5, 2009" by Puritanboard's own Chris Coldwell and Rev. Matthew Winzer.

Also Puritanboard's own Timothy R. Cunningham in his book "How Firm a Foundation?" does a very good job of explaining the traditional Reformed approach to the fulfilment of the law of Moses in Christ, pointing out the errors of Bahnsen in exegeting Matthew 5:17, and showing how Christ truly fulfills "the law or the prophets".

Once you've read Bahnsen, you'll see that the dispute centres on the place of the judicial law in this Christian dispensation, as all the orthodox Reformed agree that the moral law is perpetually binding and that the ceremonial law has been fulfilled by Christ in such a way that it does not directly apply to the Christian.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
What you should look for in OT terms is not a focus on laws, but on theology--both doctrine and practice--as the whole Bible (not just the NT) is an integrated source for these broad categories.

And especially look for the anticipation of what the coming Christ will be. This is found not only in discrete Messianic prophecies, but in every aspect of OT revelation. In other words, not only explicit but implicit.

Generally speaking, there is no variance between NT ethics and OT ethics. Jesus didn't introduce a new morality. Treating the OT as mainly a book of moral vignettes, sermons on morality, or religious sentiments in prayer, praise and poetry--is treating it badly.

Treat the OT as Christian Scripture. That is what it is, and always has been.

Patrick Fairbairn's The Revelation of Law in Scripture is a fairly demanding book, but certainly gives a great deal of worthwhile material.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and the information! I'm thinking that for the moment, I'm going to go with the Fairbairn one, partly because the price is good for the gift card, but I'm interested in all of the books mentioned.

It's also worth mentioning that at some point (hopefully soon) I intend to read Calvin's "Harmony of the Law," but since it's on CCEL and I have a tablet, I won't be buying a physical copy.

Andrew, this is a good book on the OT: An Introduction to the Old Testament, by Edward J. Young, a sound Reformed scholar. A used copy is pretty cheap (best if it's hardcover). Also, G.K. Beale has written a lot about the authority of the OT and its use in the New -- you could choose from a few of his books, though some are pricey.

Wow, thanks, Steve, I'm actually now changing my mind and going with the Young book (For now, but they're all books that I intend to read at some point). I haven't bought anything yet because I'm waiting until tomorrow to actually order it, but I'm looking forward to getting to these soon.

I think Steve's suggestion is a good one as depending on what stage you are at you might need to read more generally on the OT and familiarise yourself with it and with the moral law before you get stuck into the "theonomy debate", which familiarisation is much more important than that debate anyway.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back