Submission to Authority Vs. Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Gliddon

Puritan Board Freshman
I was sure that there would already be a topic like this, but my search yielded nothing.

What authorities on earth are valid and must be submitted to? This is in the situation that an educational institution that makes rules that are not warranted by Scripture while the school's statement of beliefs recognizes that Scripture is the only ultimate authority. Should the students submit to the authority of the institution in contradiction to Scripture? If it is necessary, I will tell about the situation more specifically. This hasn't been a problem for me, but it does concern me when a Christian institution makes restrictions that Scripture is against. It is important to note that there is no statement from the school that makes this a rule, it is unwritten and enforced.

Ben

Edit: I think this is the correct forum to post this in, but I wasn't sure about this one or The Law of God forum. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

Edit 2: I suppose my signature gives everything away. :bigsmile:

[Edited on 2-6-2005 by Ben Gliddon]

Ben,

Which of the following two possibilities are you questioning:

1. The school requires you to violate the law of God.

2. The school has requirements that go beyond the scriptural principle of "Christian Liberty" (eg. not being allowed to drink alcoholic breverages (assuming one is of age) or not being allowed to watch television; both being ordinarily matters of Liberty).

If the first, then you ought to disclose to the institution that to obey their requirements would be to violate the law of God and that you cannot agree to said terms of admission. You do not have to attend that school. Neither can you obey two masters; hence if it comes down to the law of God vs. the rules of the school, then it would most likely be necessary to withdraw enrollment.

If the second, then, having signed up for classes at their school you agree to obey their terms of admission, and being made aware of their rules, you have the resposibility to respect and obey those rules so long as you intend to remain a student at said institution.

:2cents:

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by Dan....]

It's number 2. Also, there is no written rule and there is no contract of submission of that rule since it's unwritten, and there is no verbal notification of the rule until a faculty member learns about it and speaks to the student. Then it becomes an issue. I don't want to make an incorrect evaluation, but it is the same situation as when people of a church learn that a member is doing certain things that members of that church or denomination "just don't do." My guess would be that students should still submit to the authority, regardless of the rule being official, for the purpose of obeying those from whom they receive education.

Thanks for the answer. I'm having trouble putting together the Scripture passages that speak of submission to authority and liberty of conscience. It becomes particularly difficult when the rule is not in the rulebook and the school's statement of faith and all other sources all say that Scripture is the ultimate authority and rule of all things. I forgot to make it clear that I am not a student at the school. That is irrelevant to the topic, though.

[Edited on 2-6-2005 by Ben Gliddon]

there is no written rule and there is no contract of submission of that rule since it's unwritten, and there is no verbal notification of the rule until a faculty member learns about it and speaks to the student.

It probably would be wise for the students to adhere to the requests of the faculty as the faculty is typically understood to be a position of authority.

Also, as it is concerning a matter that is ordinarily a matter of liberty, and the school has made this rule (whether written or not) that goes beyond Christian Liberty - the school is not necessarily wrong in enforcing such a rule. For example, let's say that the school has 5000+ students living on campus. Crowd control becomes a major factor. The administration may deem it necessary to make some rules that, (though they be normally matters of liberty), that help them to maintain the security of their staff and students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back