St. Peter's and R.C. Sproul Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I was just wondering if there was any update on this situation. I was just looking at the RPCGA website and St. Peter's is no longer listed as a church. What is going on with this and is the denomination working to restore the church?

Very sad. I've heard they've pulled a "Robert Duvall" (from The Apostle) and ordained themselves. Even though they were de-frocked their congregation has apparently voted the Session back into leadership.

I have serious concerns for R.C. Jr. but I have a question for other members of the board:

1. Does anybody else get Tabletalk or is a Tape of the Month partner at Ligonier?
2. Anybody considering cancelling their support if they fail to remove R.C. Jr. as their Editor for the magazine?

Your honest feedback is appreciated.

Very sad. I've heard they've pulled a "Robert Duvall" (from The Apostle) and ordained themselves. Even though they were de-frocked their congregation has apparently voted the Session back into leadership.

Can you substantiate this?

Originally posted by theologae

http://hushmoney.org/R.C._Sproul_Jr._disclaimer.htm

<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif"><a id="dismissed" name="dismissed"></a>Update February 5, 2005</font></p>
</div>
<div align="center">
<h3 class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">RPCGA Dismisses RC Sproul Jr and Defrocked Session and Is Immediately Reappointed as Elders by St. Peter <del>Presbyterian</del> Congregational Church </font></h3>
</div>
<div align="left">
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">On February 2, 2006 the deposed session of St. Peter Presbyterian Church issued a letter of "repentance" to the Westminster Presbytery of the RPCGA, also requesting to be dismissed from the jurisdiction of the Presbytery. Their letter of "repentance," in my personal estimation, was a whitewash of the grievous charges against them, as specified in the Presbytery's Declaratory Judgment. However, given the history of the St. Peter Session their letter of "repentance" was deemed by Presbytery the best that could realistically be hoped for:</font></p>
<p class="Body"><a href="Repentance020206.pdf" target="_blank"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">Repentance020206.pdf</font></a></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">On February 3, 2006 the Westminster Presbytery of the RPCGA dismissed RC Sproul Jr, Laurence Windham, Wayne Hays and Jay Barfield:</font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif"><a href="ToDeposedSession.doc" target="_blank">ToDeposedSession.doc</a><br>
<a href="ToDeposedSession.pdf" target="_blank">ToDeposedSession.pdf</a> </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">The RPCGA had cause to believe that this tragic saga was now largely over. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">However, it would seem that RC Sproul Jr has once again demonstrated his inability to comprehend what the word "repentance" means and, as such, the saga for the St. Peter <del>Presbyterian</del> Church continues. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">A Confederation of Reformed Evangelical Churches (CREC) church in Knoxville and it's pastor claim to be providing "oversight" to St. Peter. However, this "oversight" comes with some interesting arrangements in terms of who is actually in charge of who. The "oversight" pastor, David Queener, was ordained by RC Sproul Jr, and now that RC has been defrocked David Queener is returning the favor by helping to legitimize his old defrocked friend. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">CREC Pastor David Queener preached at St. Peter today from 1Timothy 5:19, "Against an elder receive not an accusation." The message to the St. Peter congregation was apparent, along with apparent ominous overtones. Mr. Queener helped set the stage for what would transpire later that evening.</font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">The RPCGA stated in its Declaratory Judgment of RC Sproul Jr and his session, </font></p>
<dl>
<dd class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">"Most importantly, their actions manifest that they lack the qualification for the ministry (1Timothy 3:1-7). It would be unwise to allow these men to continue to hold an office for which they are not qualified."</font>
</dl>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">Nevertheless, in the evening the names RC Sproul Jr, Laurence Windham, Jay Barfield and Wayne Hays were presented by a "steering committee" before the congregation of St. Peter Church to be reinstated as Elders (albeit non-ordained, indeed defrocked Elders) by a congregational vote. Nothing could have more clearly evidenced the defrocked elders' lack of sincere repentance to the multiple former members that they have tyrannized, and to the RPCGA which had declared them unfit "to hold an office for which they are not qualified," than for them to have immediately pursued their former offices. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">By a majority of the voting head of household members the congregation of St. Peter Church determined to reinstate their defrocked session as their Elders. It would appear that the members of St. Peter, along with their defrocked session, have abandoned entirely the Presbyterian polity they cherished so dearly for years. Now St. Peter is an Independent Congregational church. <em>Vox populi vox dei</em> -- the voice of the people is the voice of God. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">RC Sproul Jr has long claimed his need for accountability and to be "under authority." He promised his congregation, and he promised his denomination, to submit to ecclesiastical authority. The authority that he swore an oath to obey (RPCGA) rendered a sentence against him, defrocking him and deeming him unfit for the office of Elder. Clearly, RC Sproul Jr has demonstrated that he has no genuine regard for submitting to authority. By his actions RC Sproul Jr has proven that he was never a Presbyterian but an autonomist. </font></p>
<p class="Body"><font face="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif">RC Sproul Jr and his defrocked session are known to have been in negotiations with the CREC since the first of January. Though St. Peter Congregational Church voted to reinstate their defrocked elders, it remains to be seen if the CREC (or any other denomination that St. Peter solicits an imprimatur from) will defy the RPCGA's judgment and re-ordain the defrocked men. <br>
<br>
<br>
</font></p>
</div>

Originally posted by SemperFideles

I have serious concerns for R.C. Jr. but I have a question for other members of the board:

1. Does anybody else get Tabletalk or is a Tape of the Month partner at Ligonier?
2. Anybody considering cancelling their support if they fail to remove R.C. Jr. as their Editor for the magazine?

Burk Parsons is listed as editor, not R.C. Jr, although Jr continues to contribute a monthly column. Sproul, Sr is listed as executive editor.

The Whitefield Seminary front page says "the picture of the Seminary graduate previously displayed with his written permission has been removed at the request of his organization" http://www.whitefield.edu
I'm assuming this was a picture of Sproul?

Originally posted by Pilgrim

Burk Parsons is listed as editor, not R.C. Jr, although Jr continues to contribute a monthly column. Sproul, Sr is listed as executive editor.

The Whitefield Seminary front page says "the picture of the Seminary graduate previously displayed with his written permission has been removed at the request of his organization" http://www.whitefield.edu
Good point but he's been prominent over the years in Tabletalk. Do you think it reflects poorly if they don't remove him from his column if he continues in his current vein?

I'm really conflicted over this. I'm not vindictive and was very taken aback by this. Nevertheless, his actions while a Minister, and his current actions are very disturbing to me.

[Edited on 2-20-2006 by SemperFideles]

Originally posted by Pilgrim

Good point but he's been prominent over the years in Tabletalk. Do you think it reflects poorly if they don't remove him from his column if he continues in his current vein?

I'm really conflicted over this. I'm not vindictive and was very taken aback by this. Nevertheless, his actions while a Minister, and his current actions are very disturbing to me.

[Edited on 2-20-2006 by SemperFideles]

There is also a question of how far ahead the Tabletalk issues are prepared and printed. If they already dropped R.C Sproul, Jr's column it might still be several months before the subscribers see it is gone.

1. Yes, I get Tabletalk and the Tape of the Month.

2. No, I don't plan on cancelling. I mostly associate Tabletalk and the monthly tape with Sproul Sr., not Sproul Jr. Even if they decide to keep Sproul Jr. on there, I figure a couple of things:

a) Sproul Sr. may know what's going on behind the scenes in much more detail that we internet theologians do. There may be some serious stuff going on that prompted his removal of his picture from the Whitefield Theological Seminary website, for example. (I doubt that it's merely because his son was defrocked, or else he would have removed it weeks ago.) We are just simply outsiders, and can't judge the situation as well as those "in the know" may be able to do.

b) We should be compassionate on Sproul Sr. Remember, he is a dad, after all. And those of us who are fathers know how difficult it would be to depose a dearly loved son from such a position. Even if he *doesn't* have a good reason to let Sproul Jr. remain an editor, we should be compassionate, and not judge his entire ministry just based on a weakness he may happen to demonstrate on behalf of his son. Just put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what papa is going through.

In any case, I am edified by the Tape of the Month. Sproul Sr. does an excellent job. I have no plans to discontinue my subscription.

:book2:

Me too Joseph. I guess one option is just to stop reading R.C. Jr's column at the end. I really liked his thoughts. He's a very good writer in his own right. Hard to follow in the footsteps of a great father.

I've posted elsewhere how meaningful R.C. Sr. is to me. I vividly remember hearing a radio broadcast about the nature of the Roman Catholic Eucharist almost 9 years ago. I listened for the phone number at the end and ordered his tape series on Roman Catholicism and Faith Alone. Until that point, I had been a confused Roman Catholic that had drifted into Evangelicalism because the Charismatic Churches I attended in Evangelicalism so resembled the Charismatic Roman Catholic Church I had gotten excited about being a Christian in.

Twenty pages into Faith Alone and it was like the heavens opened up. I got a call a few weeks later about being a Tape of the Month supporter and I gladly threw my hat in. R.C. jokes about the supporters being among the elect in his conferences. Anyhow, I remember finding out, about 3 months later, that R.C. was a Calvinist and I was shocked. His ministry had been so meaningful to date that I was willing to read what he wrote about it. I don't remember how long it took me to be convinced but it was in pretty short order.

It took a few months after that before we finally wandered into a PCA Church in Springfield, VA. Since R.C. was in the PCA I figured I ought to see what it was like. I was afraid it would be super-boring. :) (Remember I was in Charismatic Churches and thought "worship" had to be dynamic.) Anyway, the Pastor, Ron Bossom, greeted me after the service and I told him how much I enjoyed the sermon and that I was trying out the PCA Church because of R.C. Sproul's ministry.

He replied, "Ah yes, back in 1974 (?), I was a newly ordained minister with my PhD in hand and I was told to go interview a theologian who was seeking transfer into the PCA by the name of R.C. Sproul. I remember asking him questions and he would answer them and I would be like 'Really? Tell me more....'" :lol:

Anyhow, I love R.C. Sproul for what he has meant to me and my family. It really grieves me what his son is doing and I'm sure it breaks his heart. I pray it will all work out.

Thanks for giving me perspective on it. The ministry is much bigger than his son.

He replied, "Ah yes, back in 1974 (?), I was a newly ordained minister with my PhD in hand and I was told to go interview a theologian who was seeking transfer into the PCA by the name of R.C. Sproul. I remember asking him questions and he would answer them and I would be like 'Really? Tell me more....'" :lol:

:lol:

I LOVE that story! Thank you for sharing that!

R. C. Sproul Sr. is also not in the PCA - not sure why that is. I get Tabletalk and plan to continue to do so. If Junior repents I'm not sure what they can do with him - maybe he could be a professor at seminary? Write more books? Anyway, Tabletalk articles are written by people with varying points of view, and R. C. Jr. has a very good mind, it ought to be used for something. I will just read his articles with more caution than I used to. Kinda like eatin' catfish, ya know?

Originally posted by turmeric
R. C. Sproul Sr. is also not in the PCA - not sure why that is...
Dear Meg,

I was wondering if you could tell me when Dr. Sproul Sr. transferred out of the PCA. The latest available Yearbook of the PCA (2005) includes him as one of our ministers. To be sure, the church which he pastors is not in the PCA. But it's not uncommon for PCA ministers to be approved to labor out of bounds.

Blessings,
DTK

Originally posted by DTK
Originally posted by turmeric
R. C. Sproul Sr. is also not in the PCA - not sure why that is...
Dear Meg,

I was wondering if you could tell me when Dr. Sproul Sr. transferred out of the PCA. The latest available Yearbook of the PCA (2005) includes him as one of our ministers. To be sure, the church which he pastors is not in the PCA. But it's not uncommon for PCA ministers to be approved to labor out of bounds.

Blessings,
DTK
There are those that know more about what St. Andrews Chapel is. I've kind of divined stuff from his Tape of the Month. I believe he is still ordained in the PCA and a member of the Presbytery where his Chapel is located but the Chapel and Session are not within the Presbytery.

I base that on a statement he made in a Tape (CD really) last year where he was teaching on forgiveness. He said that there had been repentance within the congregation regarding some scandal but then the Presbytery wanted to get involved further for some unspecified reason. He recounted that he said to the Presbytery something to the effect of: "Don't go there, the Chapel is not in the Presbytery anyhow...."

I'm not sure of the exact polity but it seems like he's a part of a Session not under the authority of the Presbytery but he is still part of the Presbytery. Not sure how that all works out.

Originally posted by theologae

http://hushmoney.org/R.C._Sproul_Jr._disclaimer.htm

This is denied by an eyewitness.

From the Blog of He Who Shall Not Be Named

I think it's the 20th or so comment down the line.

Correction of false assumptions by an eyewitness and member of St. Peter PC. - On Jan 26th, Dr. Talbot sent an email to members of SPPC deposing the current Session (Sproul, Windham, Hays & Barfield) and announcing SPPC was never really a member of the RPCGA, listing some accusations concerning paedo-communion, church discipline and church finances. The email also implied that formal church charges and trial were pending. - 6 days later, the men in question signed a doc repenting for violating the denomination's standards on paedocommunion and for "instances of mishandling office" and requesting release without censure from the RPCGA. No confession to specific accusations was made. Anyone who says otherwise probably presumes too much. - 2 days later, Dr. Talbot sent a letter superceding the first one which forgave the men for the sins confessed, released both the session and congregation from the RPCGA without censure. Ie, they were not "defrocked". - 2 days later at a congregational meeting at which the four former RPCGA elders were NOT PRESENT, the church spontaneously proposed and carried a motion to recognize our session as our session. - The church has continued having lay-led services without communion since Jan 26th. No presumption of re-ordination has been made by the men in question. - The church plans to seek denominational oversight ASAP. This account is not official. It's just what I saw with my own eyes.

I hope that's the case. I do wish, however, that the men would step down from leadership at least for a season. Even in "the world", we don't normally let men continue in immediate leadership after they have mishandled their responsibilities.

I hope that's the case. I do wish, however, that the men would step down from leadership at least for a season. Even in "the world", we don't normally let men continue in immediate leadership after they have mishandled their responsibilities.

Agreed. :handshake:

Interesting...
4_12_11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back