Spurgeon's Sermons

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill c.

Puritan Board Freshman
I am reading the 1st volume of Spurgeon's sermons on Calvary put out by the Banner of Truth. I just got done reading the "Power of Prayer in the Believer's Life" put out by Ambassador Pub. and before that had read a collection of Spurgeon's sermons published by Whitaker House. These were all sermons on different topics but the Banner of Truth edition seems much more vivid and powerful. It may be due to the topic but I rather think it was the result of editing. Has anyone else found this? It seems that the Whitaker and Ambassador publications toned down CHS' language.

Originally posted by bill c.
I am reading the 1st volume of Spurgeon's sermons on Calvary put out by the Banner of Truth. I just got done reading the "Power of Prayer in the Believer's Life" put out by Ambassador Pub. and before that had read a collection of Spurgeon's sermons published by Whitaker House. These were all sermons on different topics but the Banner of Truth edition seems much more vivid and powerful. It may be due to the topic but I rather think it was the result of editing. Has anyone else found this? It seems that the Whitaker and Ambassador publications toned down CHS' language.

That's a good possibilty ... They might have "Modernized" it.

I too have gotten the collection of Spurgeon's sermons. Read "Sovreignty and Salvation", best sermon I have ever heard(read):bigsmile:

Also, "Rest,Rest" is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back