soon to be "throughly furnished" with a brand new "sword of the Spirit!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willem van Oranje

Puritan Board Junior
KJV-detractors and anti-Psalmists beware, I finally ordered a new "sword" to replace the one I lost in Pakistan: Authorized Version with Metrical Psalms, printed at Cambrdge, bound in calfskin, and distributed by our friends at the Trinitarian Bible Society. Sized to carry!

If you've got the one with a zipper, i have that one! It's great.

The one I lost in Pakistan had a zipper--it was the Pitt Mignon. However the binding had broken loose before I lost it. Having a zipper, it was not such a problem, since it was still "encased" even though the binding was separated from the cover.

But it seems to me that the zipper construction had something to do with the binding separating from the cover. Due to the zipper-cover construction, there was a large empty cavity in between the page-binding and the calfskin cover at the spine. Also, due to it always being zipped up, the pages were prevented from shifting and cascading in relation to one another at the outer page edge if the book was flexed while zipped closed (since the page edges were held together closely by the zipped cover). This would put all the stress on the cover at the place where it connected to the spine instead of allowing the pages to flex. This is my hypothesis on why the cover separated from the pages. I have seen this happen also on other leather Bibles with a zipper.

Perhaps not incidentally, the Pitt Mignon style was discontinued by TBS. So it's possible that this edition was not as sturdy as those which have been retained.

If you've got the one with a zipper, i have that one! It's great.

The one I lost in Pakistan had a zipper--it was the Pitt Mignon. However the binding had broken loose before I lost it. Having a zipper, it was not such a problem, since it was still "encased" even though the binding was separated from the cover.

But it seems to me that the zipper construction had something to do with the binding separating from the cover. Due to the zipper-cover construction, there was a large empty cavity in between the page-binding and the calfskin cover at the spine. Also, due to it always being zipped up, the pages were prevented from shifting and cascading in relation to one another at the outer page edge if the book was flexed while zipped closed (since the page edges were held together closely by the zipped cover). This would put all the stress on the cover at the place where it connected to the spine instead of allowing the pages to flex. This is my hypothesis on why the cover separated from the pages. I have seen this happen also on other leather Bibles with a zipper.

Perhaps not incidentally, the Pitt Mignon style was discontinued by TBS. So it's possible that this edition was not as sturdy as those which have been retained.

Very interesting. I think you may be right. I tend not to have too many problems like that because i wear a kind of Bible holster which protects them somewhat.

I'm currently using the pocket-sized with snap-flap...which is holding up quite nicely...

7UBS.jpg

Wow, "Bible holster"! How quick is your draw?

Is that the modern version of a sword sheath?

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

KJV-detractors and anti-Psalmists beware, I finally ordered a new "sword" to replace the one I lost in Pakistan: Authorized Version with Metrical Psalms, printed at Cambrdge, bound in calfskin, and distributed by our friends at the Trinitarian Bible Society. Sized to carry!

Uh, oh. Looks like the KJV store didn't actually have them in stock, they had to check with TBS who is sold out of this model. (I know that because I tried to order directly from TBS first.) The KJV store just took longer to get back to me than TBS did when I first tried to order from them. This will have to wait until TBS gets more in stock it appears.

Ouch, denied!

Last edited:
Uh, oh. Looks like the KJV store didn't actually have them in stock, they had to check with TBS who is sold out of this model. (I know that because I tried to order directly from TBS first.) The KJV store just took longer to get back to me than TBS did when I first tried to order from them. This will have to wait until TBS gets more in stock it appears.

Ouch, denied!

As the continuing saga of the calfskin-bound, medium-sized AV Bible with metrical Psalms, from the Trinitarian Bible Society, unfolds, the TBS store called me back and said they found just one left. They shipped it today! What a relief. What great service! I think I'm going to join the Society.

4 things I like most about this Bible:

1. handy size but with Scripture cross references (key for looking referencing both prophecy and fulfillment, or OT quotations and other allusions)

2. metrical Psalms, perfect for making melody in your heart to God at any occasion

3. No "words of Christ in red"! All of the words of Scripture are Christ's words, we should not be highlighting certain ones. I detest this feature in other Bibles.

4. Old mid-19th century Cambridge type setting/layout. I don't know why but I just love this old timey page/typeset.

It was shipped today. Yeaaah!

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Wow, "Bible holster"! How quick is your draw?

Is that the modern version of a sword sheath?
Gotta be quick on the draw. Here's the one i use for the small button-snap that i posted on above...

Eagle Creek Market Pouch

No offense, but this looks more like a man-purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back