some of my childhood heroes were...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a

Puritan Board Freshman
1) Spiderman (he was much cooler than superman)
2) Popeye (from the robin williams movie, not the cartoon)
3) Sho Kosugi (from all the Ninja movies)

i guess those are pretty dorky heroes...
what about you guys?

My Heroes

I grew up on Batman (the Adam West one). Had hundreds of comics. Went on a wild spree a few years back and purchased more. Now, I have all but four of every Batman comic since I was born (1966). That includes Batman, Detective, World's Finest, Brace and Bold, Justice League, etc. Four missing are some Neal Adams' issues from 1972-73-74 era (100 page Giants - remember those?)

Also remember hurrying home from school to catch "The Lone Ranger" on TV at 3:30 PM.

Starsky and Hutch
Evil Kneivel
Elvis
I had a pretty depraved childhood!
My Older Brother Leonard was probably my biggest Hero, He was saved in the Marine Corps and wrote me a letter about his experience and I started to read my bible as a result of his conversion and not long after the Lord saved me. He and his Family are in Honduras now running an orphanage. When I grow up I want to be like him.

[quote:6d236926d8][i:6d236926d8]Originally posted by SteelYankee[/i:6d236926d8]
I grew up on Batman (the Adam West one). Had hundreds of comics. Went on a wild spree a few years back and purchased more. Now, I have all but four of every Batman comic since I was born (1966). That includes Batman, Detective, World's Finest, Brace and Bold, Justice League, etc. Four missing are some Neal Adams' issues from 1972-73-74 era (100 page Giants - remember those?)

Also remember hurrying home from school to catch "The Lone Ranger" on TV at 3:30 PM. [/quote:6d236926d8]

oh yeah!!! i grew up on the Adam West Batman too... but it was the reruns... my favorite was how they walked up walls - it was so cheesy... they just turned the camera sideways!! hahaha... and the riddler was always my favorite villain...

[quote:6c5aa72f3b][i:6c5aa72f3b]Originally posted by Irishcat922[/i:6c5aa72f3b]
Starsky and Hutch
Evil Kneivel
Elvis
I had a pretty depraved childhood!
[/quote:6c5aa72f3b]

MAN!!! i totally forgot about Evil Kneivel!!! i had so many wrecks on my bike because of that dude...

and what about Ponch from CHIPS?!?!?! woohoo!!!

[Edited on 5-13-2004 by ace]

[quote:ddbfc14f2f][i:ddbfc14f2f]Originally posted by joshua[/i:ddbfc14f2f]
Any Eastwood western Character (and Dirty Harry Callahan) out of the ones I was allowed to watch.

Chuck Norris in "Lone Wold McQuaid" (Unfortunately)

Mighty Mouse

Garfield

Charlton Heston in the "Ten Commandments" [/quote:ddbfc14f2f]

MAN!!! i can't believe i left out Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee!!!!!

you guys are great... you're helping me remember my childhood (which is still a hazy blur)

Josh... GARFIELD was your hero?!?!?!? LOL!!!!!!!

[Edited on 5-13-2004 by ace]

Evil Knieval was pretty cool...

OK, ready or not...Girl input time:

1. Wonder Woman!!!! (Lynda Carter was sooo cool)
2. Charlie's Angels (the originals, not the cheesy movies they're doing now) - I liked Jaclyn Smith & Cheryl Ladd best.
3. Trixie Belden (the books) She was cooler than Nancy Drew - Nancy was always brushing her hair and talking about Ned. Trixie and her friends rode horses!
4. And (this is really embarrassing - whose idea was this?)
Marie Osmond (What can I say - I was 7!!)

There were others, but those were the biggies...

And for a sub-category:

NOT REMOTELY COOL, [b:73bf8ec655]EVER[/b:73bf8ec655]:
Zan & Jana. (Remember them? The doofuses from the Superfriends? "Wonder Twin powers, activate!") They were soooooo STUPID!

Mary

wow, MARY!!! LOL!!!!

I'll give ya Wonder Woman - cuz all those 70's super hero shows with real people were cool... the spiderman tv show... batman... incredible hulk with lou ferrigno...

and even though i didn't watch charlie's angels really, my sister did... my sister's name is sabrina - wasn't there an angel named sabrina or something? i don't know...

is marie osmond the little-bit-country girl?!?!?! LOL!!!!

i dont' know the others you mentioned, but you remind me of so much more... wow, i'm glad we did this - my childhood is slowly coming back to me... character-by-character...

ok... how 'bout this one - GREG BRADY!!!!! hahahaha

Jim Reed - Adam 12 (played by Kent McCord) (My first television hero).

Travis - 26 Men (A really old show about the Texas Rangers)

Jim Sonnet - "The Guns of Will Sonnet" (My favorite Western. Will Sonnet was played by Walter Brennen who was a lot like my grandfather.)

The Lone Ranger

Jim Phelps - Mission Impossible

Jarrod Barkley - The Big Valley

Chuck Norris - Walker, Texas Ranger

(Anyone see a trend here?) :bs2:

Ace wrote:
[quote:e1bc55fb92]
wasn't there an angel named sabrina or something?
[/quote:e1bc55fb92]

Sabrina Duncan! (Played by Kate Jackson) I didn't like her. Her hair was shorter (kind of Dorothy Hamill-like) and she seemed sort of feminist...Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd were both pretty and feminine, but could still do their jobs. Awesome. I was never a big Farrah fan. She seemed a little...trampy.

I'm not surprised you don't know Trixie Belden. Trixie was not as popular as Nancy Drew. But the books were very entertaining.

Yeah, I'm pretty embarrassed about the Marie Osmond thing now. My sister always brings up my Osmond Family thing (as well as my Frankie & Annette thing AND my Doris Day movie thing) as proof positive that I am the whitest white girl ever. Or, as we like to say "CHEESE CORN"!

How about this one? I really liked Sandy (from the movie Grease) UNTIL the end of the movie. I could never reconcile that she turned herself into a slut for him. Even as an 8 year old (or however old I was that summer, that really bothered me).

Greg Brady was your hero? That's pretty cheese corn too. Welcome to the club!

We girls used to have "he's cute" "no he's not" fights about Starsky & Hutch, Ponch & Jon, etc. I remember specifically going to the mat with my girlfriends over 3 "issues":
1. Han Solo was WAY cooler than Luke
2. Barry Gibb was WAY cooler than Andy Gibb
3. Frank Hardy was WAY cooler than Joe Hardy (The Hardy Boys, with Parker Stevenson and Sean Cassidy)

Looking back, I see I was right in all three cases. The winnah!

HEY! What about the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman?!?!?

[Edited on 5-13-2004 by Mary]

Josh wrote:
[quote:cf9c63dd84]
Mary, Mary, quite contrary. Ace wrote that. Not me
[/quote:cf9c63dd84]

I changed it.

Lee Majors was the Six Million Dollar Man first. I watched the Fall Guy EVERY week. I loved that show. (Pretty stupid looking back.) Heather Thomas was the blonde.

What about the Dukes of Hazzard?

Yet again, every one else liked Bo. I liked Luke. I still say I was right.

Mary

The Greatest American Hero! That was my first exposure to Robert Culp. Imagine my surprise when I found out he was a studly male lead in I Spy with Bill Cosby (who was also a studly male lead - pretty weird for the Jello guy!)

What about Get Smart? Anybody else remember that?

[quote:2cbc9de73c]
Hans Solo and Chibakah (Is that spelled right?)
[/quote:2cbc9de73c]

Chewbacca. (I think?)

[quote:2fc945b560][i:2fc945b560]Originally posted by Mary[/i:2fc945b560]
Josh wrote:
What about the Dukes of Hazzard?

Yet again, every one else liked Bo. I liked Luke. I still say I was right.

Mary [/quote:2fc945b560]

Luke was my hero too. Bo seemed too ditsy for me.

Janice wrote:
[quote:0198d08e55]
Luke was my hero too. Bo seemed too ditsy for me.
[/quote:0198d08e55]

EXACTLY!!!

Of course, my all-time favorite guy hero (as opposed to girl heroes) wasn't a TV star at all...he was a movie star.

Ahem.

Steve McQueen. <sigh, flutter>

oh man... you guys are bringing me such joy!!!

the dukes of hazzard was the greatest show ever!
my fav from star wars was yoda and r2d2(note the avatar)...

imagine my surprise all these years later in SW Ep. II that Yoda can actually fight!!! I stood up in the theatre with a great barbaric YAWP!!! and even better - r2d2 can climb stairs!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!

Indiana Jones - oh yeah!!! and that japanese kid Short Round or something like that... he was DATA from the Goonies!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

ok now, how about this one... Family Ties - i always wanted to be Michael J. Fox... HAHAHAHA

Ace wrote:
[quote:0498053f58]
Family Ties - i always wanted to be Michael J. Fox...
[/quote:0498053f58]

That's funny! I had a crush on him! Not that MJF is so cute, but I loved Alex P. Keaton! He was so sensible and conservative. All my friends liked whats-her-name's boyfriend (the artist guy). I couldn't stand him! Alex was my kind of guy!

Yikes. Now I AM embarrassed!

Ace wrote:

"and what about Ponch from CHIPS?!?!?! woohoo!!!"

My sister and I had Honda 50 motorcycles when we were kids and we would play CHIPS... ahh the good old days!

[quote:31bcaa3b65][i:31bcaa3b65]Originally posted by joshua[/i:31bcaa3b65]
[img:31bcaa3b65]http://www.peacheschrist.com/mmass/goons/sloth.jpg[/img:31bcaa3b65]

Sloth from the Goonies!

"Hey Chunk" [/quote:31bcaa3b65]

My brother-in-law and I used to always say to each other "Hey you guuuuuuuuuys!"

I loved that movie, Sean Astin was one of my first movie star crushes when I was 10 or so... who knew then he would end up as Sam in Lord of the Rings.

The Goonies was a great movie! I loved Chunk! I felt so bad for him when he had to do the truffle shuffle.

Ok, Paul liked the heavy duty "guy" stuff...but, SMURFS?!?!

You're kidding, right? Even I didn't like the Smurfs, and I'm totally square!

Mary

[quote:6e98a07774][i:6e98a07774]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:6e98a07774]
Conan

The Fall Guy

Transformers

Sgt. Slaughter

Ricky The Dragon Steamboat

The Master

Remo Williams

The Highlander

Bruce Leroy

Pinhead

Hefty Smurf [/quote:6e98a07774]

oh Paul, man!!! that's awesome... do you remember Kerry Von Eric and Junkyard Dog?!?!

Paul Manata wrote:
[quote:4a249ffbfe]
smurfs ruled
[/quote:4a249ffbfe]

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! DUDE!?!?!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

[quote:1d4e3e81d1]
the original Hulk Hogan.
[/quote:1d4e3e81d1]

I liked Rowdy Roddy Piper...

Paul,

My image of you is totally blown. PLEASE tell me you didn't sing along...

Of course, I think you're younger than me. That's a huge difference when you're kids, you know? My sister who's 3 years younger than me who loved her cabbage patch doll. I just thought they were stupid.

Of course, I loved my Holly Hobby...

The only cartoons I liked as a kid (in the 70s) were Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Superfriends and Josie & the Pussycats. You know, COOL ones.

Funny Thread.

Okay, let's see.....

My Dad for a while.

Definitely Sho Kosugi - right there with you Ace. (I still have all my ninja gear - swords, shuriken, blowguns, you name - as a matter of fact, I pulled out the old fukiya (blowgun) the other night and went to town on a carboard box from 30 feet away!). :lol:

Indiana Jones (God used this to draw me into my vocation - who wouldn't want to be an OT archeologist??)

Spiderman and Superman - two best comic superheroes that Marvel and DC ever created.

Rocky Balboa - Yo!

Charles Ingalls - who wouldn't love this guy!

Heroes post-conversion/on fire for the first few years of my new life (In order as I remember growing in grace):

Jesus Christ - goes without saying.

John Owen (first book I ever read on Reformed Doctrine was Death of Death)

RC Sproul - first Reformed sermons I ever heard live was his.

John Gerstner Sr. - Lectures on Edwards

Roger Nicole (Huge influence on me and Calvinism)

John Calvin and Martin Luther around the same time as Dr. Nicole's guidance to them

JI Packer - class with him on the English Puritans

Elmer Smick - OT teacher and archeologist - a regular modern day Indiana Jones (now deceased)

Francis Turretin - profound impact on me with God's character and attributes

My wife

Gregg wrote:
[quote:158db17a24]
Ed Giacomin - NY Rangers goalie
[/quote:158db17a24]

Now that's a whole other topic - sports figures...Billie Jean King. (Just kidding!)

Bob Probert
Joe Kocur
Darren McCarty
(Are we seeing a pattern yet?)
And Harold Snepts (last guy in the NHL to not wear a helmet)

Webmaster,

There are real possibilities for a ninja preacher...I see a series in the making...

Mary :bs2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back