Some funny memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God’s name as is required; and the abuse of it in an ignorant, vain, irreverent, profane, superstitious, or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes, ordinances, or works, by blasphemy, perjury; all sinful cursings, oaths, vows, and lots; violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful; and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful; murmuring and quarreling at, curious prying into, and misapplying of God’s decrees and providences; misinterpreting, misapplying, or any way perverting the Word, or any part of it, to profane jests, curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines; abusing it, the creatures, or any thing contained under the name of God, to charms, or sinful lusts and practices; the maligning, scorning, reviling, or any wise opposing of God’s truth, grace, and ways; making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends; being ashamed of it, or a shame to it, by unconformable, unwise, unfruitful and offensive walking, or backsliding from it.

Is it irreverent to the Word or is it irreverent to the human condition that is so pervasive that not only does the general (ish) template hold true in the 1st Century but every single year of our Lord since then? Which makes it funny because it is true, yes?

87m8tj.jpg

Is it irreverent to the Word or is it irreverent to the human condition that is so pervasive that not only does the general (ish) template hold true in the 1st Century but every single year of our Lord since then? Which makes it funny because it is true, yes?

Irreverent to the word of God. Even Muslims know better than making jokes about their idols, and yet here we worship the living and true God who is so holy that the godly prophet Isaiah was undone in His presence but men will make jokes at God's expense for a like on the internet.

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Hebrews 10:31

Irreverent to the word of God. Even Muslims know better than making jokes about their idols, and yet here we worship the living and true God who is so holy that the godly prophet Isaiah was undone in His presence but men will make jokes at God's expense for a like on the internet.

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Hebrews 10:31

This is a serious charge and I imagine you don't make it lightly.

Granting that the furthest thing I would ever want to do is be guilty of this charge, and also granting that intent or ignorance of the charge would not be an excuse should I indeed be guilty of such an act, I am left now at a loss.

Can you identify the irreverence to the Word of God specifically? Can you identify any jokes made at God's expense?

Several of the posts here trouble me. Even if it were granted that it is not sin of itself, and even if you do not intend it to be joking about God, His word, or sin.. unbelievers would look upon to make light of the things of God. I'm convinced that joking about the things of God is unwise at best, and works against cultivating a godly fear among believers.

Last edited:
Would it be more justifiable to mock the craziness and the lunacy of false beliefs?

"And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, 'Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.'" 1 Kings 18:27.

Arguably if it were the modern day, I could picture Elijah making a few memes on the Baal cult.

I'm convinced that joking about the things of God is unwise at best, and works against cultivating a godly fear among believers.

I'd go farther than that.

Joking about the things of God is more than unwise, but sin. Obviously, I do not believe I nor anyone here did such a thing. Granted, this does not mean that it did not occur however unintentionally.

But again, the lack of specific references as to where there are jokes about God himself or about the things of God being the object of a joke themselves makes these posts less than useful.

I am not being argumentative either. I am not even saying that you guys are wrong; I am asking because I honestly do not see how you are correct in your views of the jokes made.

The template joke I laughed at like anyone who points out that preaching the general structure of epistles - (minus Thessalonians of course which is the point of my counter-joke) - was greeting and correction and etc. If I find our collective history of errors to be funny because it never ends and funny because it is so true does that mock the standard by which I agree that we all have got it wrong from day one of the Church? If so, how?

I have heard preachers make humorous commentary on the endless error of humans - even followers of Christ. The best ones turn it into self-deprecating humor right away because there is no error that we ourselves are not prone to.

I even thought of a meme to add to it that would have people laughing and then recoiling at the "stop being stupid" at number 3 over their forehead in a mirror (with comical faces),

but I stopped because now I am genuinely confused and bewildered.

Yet I know that several brothers sharing a view on any point is enough to warrant caution in approach so I "went ahead and did not post it" (Michael Scott hahaha)

and will not post it because I do not want anyone to be troubled; that is also not my intent

- even though I still think it is a good effective meme that is funny inherently by the faces and also instructs as it quickly pieces out truth in very short format.

Last edited:
the lack of specific references as to where there are jokes about God himself or about the things of God being the object of a joke themselves makes these posts less than useful.
To be explicit I myself take issue especially with posts #4 and #8, with several others being more borderline irreverence. The primary reason I take issue with these is because they are joking about God's word concerning solemn and weighty matters - hell, judgment and the atonement of Christ.

But again, the lack of specific references as to where there are jokes about God himself or about the things of God being the object of a joke themselves makes these posts less than useful.

Jokes have been made about sin, which is heinous and grievous, not the least bit laughable. If our Lord was put to death for these matters, we should not find them funny. Rather than jesting about homosexuals or the Pope, we should be mourning, praying, and evangelizing the lost. Many Papists and sodomites will perish in hell for eternity, which again isn't the least bit humorous. The jokes about the epistles, circumcision (this joke is crude also), and the atonement are all heavenly and therefore weighty matters. Fathers in the faith literally gave their lives for us to have copies of the Scriptures today so we would treasure God's word as precious, not so we could make memes about it.

I have removed an image or two, one of them was one that the OP was unable to remove himself. Admins are aware and reviewing.

Good morning all,

There is no need for review or any kind of big decision. I - for my part - would have never posted anything if it makes anyone disturbed or uncomfortable.

I like coming here for thinking through things / learning / edification and having fun, and I would never want to decrease anyone else's fun or positive experience.

I never mocked the epistles or any other part of the Word or any thing at all to do with God Himself. My targets were general practices of charismatics / Judaizers / Arminians and various other unlimited atonement types. Never God nor His truth.

If there is any failing, it would all be on my part.

At the same time, I posted a meme joking about the homonymns "surely / Shirley" in college football and it went well.

Happily, I can stipulate to keeping any and all theological or Biblical jokes off the board and all jokes would be secular in nature. Easy peasy.

Please, on behalf of any I unintentionally and unwittingly disturbed, I will never do it again.

No need to look too closely, admin. Shut it down.

Here I stand but I can do other.

I can do lots other hahahaha.

Remove any and all you like.

God bless you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back