Social Implication of Covenant theology vs. Dispensational Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more good observations. I'd like to point something out, at the risk of sounding authoritative. Many here say that "came out of dispensationalism" and therefore they know what they're talking about. But, gentlemen, by most of your definitions I AM a dispensationalist (PD, RB with Dispensational tendencies, pick your label). I don't blow the horn or run the flag. I'd rather run Calvin's, if I must run one in addition to Christ's. But, if the shoe fits, then so be it. The problem is, based on the hermeneutics that I know and abide by, the stereotyping espoused here is not necessarily inherent in the system. And I've been taught by some very well known and entrenched dispensationalists (Robert Thomas, for example). Those of you who know me, even when we disagree, know that I strive to be a careful exegete.
So let me ask, if you're going to make these assertions, either define your terms or show how dispensational hermeneutics lead one down the paths proposed here.

Mr. McFadderator,
I think your last paragraph is a good observation.

So let me ask, if you're going to make these assertions, either define your terms or show how dispensational hermeneutics lead one down the paths proposed here.

Which terms would you like defined? I agree terms have to be defined.

Well, are we discussing social dispensationalism; the type of movement that sensationalizes everything and fails to work at or even learn responsible hermeneutic skills? Or are we talking about a theological understanding where those who propose it have attempted to dig into the text with results that distinguish them as dispensational? The problem is, the difference between DT and CT is based on hermeneutics. They have subtle differences. But comparing CT to your run of the mill mainstream fundamental church really is comparing fruits to vegetables. One's a theological system and the other is more akin to a social movement (perhaps even a fad, in some instances). If you're talking about this, then I have nothing to say; flail away. But if you're talking about the differences in the systematic understanding of Scripture based on hermeneutic principles then, by all means, let's determine any differences in how they might affect society. What I've seen here so far has not succeeded to do this.

It would probably be helpful to consider the fact that charismania has taken eschatological sensationalism to a level that is beyond anything most dispensationalists would even consider. They see prophetic fulfillment in every news headline. Some of these folks are simply dispensationalists who are too caught up in eschatology. But there is a bridge there with a lot of really fancy buildings all over it. Some call them churches. I suppose these would be considered dispensational by some. Perhaps they are, from a certain perspective.

"Hasn't the PCA GA shot down a similar public school resolution at least once?"

Not sure, but if they have, it wouldn't surprise me. There are A LOT of problems with the PCA, and there have been for many years.

In my humble opinion, A number of people in the PCA are generally evangelical, not reformed in the historic sense - in other words, if they suddenly found themselves worshipping in a 16th or 17th century English, Scottish, Genevan, or Huguenot church, they would be almost completely clueless.

They may claim to be five pointers and paedobaptists, but beyond that . . . .

I suppose I asked some what of a one sided question then since DT is necessarily tied to Disp. Pre-Mil of some flavor by default and CT is not necessarily tied to a particular position.

There seems to be a level of difficulty for CTs to answer the question apart from their eschatological perspective. It seems to affect one’s hermeneutic much more than I realized.

There seems to be a level of difficulty for CTs to answer the question apart from their eschatological perspective. It seems to affect one’s hermeneutic much more than I realized.

That could be. Or it could be the other way around. Though we can usually keep our exegesis separated, it's often difficult to separate our presuppositions from our hemeneutics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back