Seeking advice on bike purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidius

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Does anyone know a lot about bikes? My wife and I want to buy one that we can both use for recreational riding/exercise, and that I can use to get to and from Main Campus instead of taking the bus. We are hoping not to spend over $200. Is it possible to get something that would suit our needs in this price range, that wouldn't also be a hunk of junk?

I know a fair amount about bikes. I have a road bike myself. Now, there are a few options. First thing you need to know is the bike size you need. Google bike sizing and you will find a way to do that. It is typically 0.86 x inseam. The ones you will buy at say Target will be about an 18 to 19" bike which is good for people with an inseam <32" inches.

I have purchased two bikes off of CraigsList. They were used but after many tries, I did get good buys. Depending on what you are looking for, and they have everything if you check everyday, you can get a decent bike for ~$120.00. You never know what you are going to find.

The majority of bikes out there are Schwinn which for everyday use, is a decent bike. The ones at Target, new, will cost about $240.00 each but they are new, warranted. Do not buy the cheapest one at Target or one named after an SUV because you will get what you pay for. On CraigsList you will find people getting rid of the kids bikes - Schwinn and Huffy mountain bikes, dual suspension etc... I don't recommend them because they are cheap in all respect. Don't buy one from Wal-Mart, please. Target (free shipping on bikes usually) or even better a local bike shop where you can always get good answers.

Types of bikes:
Mountain - thick, deep tread tires; sometimes shock suspension, rides upright. This is the run of the mill, everyday vended bike.

Road - thin tires, large diameter wheels, wheels closer together, rides not upright. Meant for speed, geared higher for speed and climbing hills quickly. Light frames with small seats. Can range in price from ~$400.00 new up to >$5000.00.

Hybrid - frame like a mtn bike but tires are sized between mtn and road bike. Meant for city biking and mild offroad. Rides upright. Comfortable, may have suspension. Good for commuting. Handles better than mtn bike on pavement.

So, do a bit of research before you buy. You can get good used bikes for <$200.00. Good brands: low end-Schwinn. Higher end - Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Cannondale. Search out CraigsList in your area and discriminate. Don't buy sans picture. If you think you can make a good offer for less than their list, email 'em an offer; you never know. Test ride a few and bring rope to get it home in the trunk. Always use a helmet because other people will hit you in lieu of the other way around (you know your a good driver). If you ride at night, get a flashing light for the rear (a must at night!).

Peter,

I just got a moots road bike. What kind of road bike do you have?

I am currently looking for a pump, any recommendations?

Thanks

Peter,

I just got a moots road bike. What kind of road bike do you have?

I am currently looking for a pump, any recommendations?

Thanks

Sure! My bike :rofl: is a 1986 Peugeot Corbier 10-speed!! Awesome bike.

Pump - 2 considerations. One that you can attach to your bike and bring along or a upright pump. Bike pumps are smaller, usually long tubes and work well if you have a problem on the road. Run around ~$25.00. Don't get the smallest or cheapest, whatever you do.
Upright pump - don't get the Schwinn one at Target, doesn't work very well. The upright pump you can get higher pressure - like on road tires that operate at 100psi. A good one is the Park Tool model - sold at private, small bike shops but worth your while. ~$45.00

The newest thing is the charged cylinder pumps where you put in a CO2 cartridge and it pumps it up to the cylinder pressure. Holder is ~$20.00 and the cylinders run about $4.00 each. The stores recommend them and they are easy to use. Store on the bike very easily.

I have an upright pump that goes up to 160psi. My opinion - get a upright floor model pump, like the Park Tool one, or one the store recommends and you won't be disappointed.

You do know much about bikes. :)

I wanted my bike to last a long time. I hope I will never have to buy another road bike.

You do know alot about bikes. :)

I wanted my bike to last a long time. I hope I will never have to buy another road bike.

Amen. Park Tool's website has good information on how to do routine bike maintenance at home - greasing, cleaning, oiling the chain. There is a maintenance section somewhere on the homepage and search from there.

To all - never, ever use WD-40 on the bike chain. It does harm to it. Best thing to use is transmission oil, like for your car.

Here it is Park Tool Repair Center

I know a fair amount about bikes. I have a road bike myself. Now, there are a few options. First thing you need to know is the bike size you need. Google bike sizing and you will find a way to do that. It is typically 0.86 x inseam. The ones you will buy at say Target will be about an 18 to 19" bike which is good for people with an inseam <32" inches.

I have purchased two bikes off of CraigsList. They were used but after many tries, I did get good buys. Depending on what you are looking for, and they have everything if you check everyday, you can get a decent bike for ~$120.00. You never know what you are going to find.

The majority of bikes out there are Schwinn which for everyday use, is a decent bike. The ones at Target, new, will cost about $240.00 each but they are new, warranted. Do not buy the cheapest one at Target or one named after an SUV because you will get what you pay for. On CraigsList you will find people getting rid of the kids bikes - Schwinn and Huffy mountain bikes, dual suspension etc... I don't recommend them because they are cheap in all respect. Don't buy one from Wal-Mart, please. Target (free shipping on bikes usually) or even better a local bike shop where you can always get good answers.

Types of bikes:
Mountain - thick, deep tread tires; sometimes shock suspension, rides upright. This is the run of the mill, everyday vended bike.

Road - thin tires, large diameter wheels, wheels closer together, rides not upright. Meant for speed, geared higher for speed and climbing hills quickly. Light frames with small seats. Can range in price from ~$400.00 new up to >$5000.00.

Hybrid - frame like a mtn bike but tires are sized between mtn and road bike. Meant for city biking and mild offroad. Rides upright. Comfortable, may have suspension. Good for commuting. Handles better than mtn bike on pavement.

So, do a bit of research before you buy. You can get good used bikes for <$200.00. Good brands: low end-Schwinn. Higher end - Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Cannondale. Search out CraigsList in your area and discriminate. Don't buy sans picture. If you think you can make a good offer for less than their list, email 'em an offer; you never know. Test ride a few and bring rope to get it home in the trunk. Always use a helmet because other people will hit you in lieu of the other way around (you know your a good driver). If you ride at night, get a flashing light for the rear (a must at night!).

Have you heard of a "Comfort Bike"? They look weird, but that's all I see for Schwinn on the Target website.

Have you heard of a "Comfort Bike"? They look weird, but that's all I see for Schwinn on the Target website.

A comfort bike typically has a low set frame so you ride it sort of like a motorcycle - arms up. It has thicker tires, usually a few gears, and a big seat. Can be called a cruiser as well. They are unconventional because the typical vending is those mountain bikes. Comfort bikes are meant for cruising around, not for higher speeds. I see them every once in a while. Usually the frame is quite heavy.

Now, Target shifted brands. They used to carry Schwinn but now Forge. That is worth it for everyday riding as well. Check the stores in person - I saw the Schwinn bikes there. If you want a Schwinn, the small bike shops in the area will carry them too - call first and they'll be happy to help.

If you go to Forge Urban bikes; these are examples of the hybrid bikes.

The Cannondale, I would start at $120 and see if they would go for it. The slick tires though are odd - they put those on after they bought it. The size of that bike is made for someone like 5'2".

Here's some advice I'd give you I agree with the other advice as well:

1. I think buying used would be your best bet as well.

2. If you do not plan on riding it on dirt trails look for slick tires, it will pedal much easier.

3. If you and your wife are not of similar heights 2 bikes would probably be best, comfort has a lot to do with proper fit. At a minimum look for a quick release seat post clamp. These are found on most mountain bikes but rarely on road bikes.

4. As for frames steel are usually more comfortable but heavier and can rust. Aluminum is lighter but harsher ride and doesn't rust. Almost all newer bikes are aluminum.

5. Don't forget the extras like a pump, tubes and lubricant. Also bike shops sell multi-tools, which are like a swiss army knife for cyclists this will enable you to make small repairs or adjustments yourself.

SolaGratia:

I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport that I am very happy with, great pump. I did not like the Blackburn pump I owned previously. Have fun on the Moots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back