Samuel Miller on the link between kneeling and transubstantiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... The most ardent friends of kneeling do not pretend, so far as is now recollected, to find any example of this posture, in the whole history of the Church, prior to the thirteenth century. That is, not until the Papacy had reached the summit of its system of corruption. And, accordingly, in the Greek Church, which separated from the Latin, before the doctrine of Transubstantiation arose, kneeling at the communion is unknown. In short, kneeling at the Lord’s table was not introduced until Transubstantiation arose; and with Transubstantiation it ought, by Protestants, to have been laid aside. When men began to believe that the sacramental elements were really transmuted into the body and blood of the Redeemer, there was some colour of apology for kneeling and adoring them. But when this error was abandoned, that which had grown out of it ought to have been abandoned also. ...

For more, see:

Some time ago I visited a PCA church in Missouri that turned out to be Federal Vision-ish, and pew-kneelers were used during congregational prayer (the Lord's Supper was not administered that morning). I felt uncertain in my conscience and did not comply. However, I would be interested in any thoughts folks may have on whether or not kneeing in that kind of corporate context is also ill-advised, or a matter of little consequence.

Some time ago I visited a PCA church in Missouri that turned out to be Federal Vision-ish, and pew-kneelers were used during congregational prayer (the Lord's Supper was not administered that morning). I felt uncertain in my conscience and did not comply. However, I would be interested in any thoughts folks may have on whether or not kneeing in that kind of corporate context is also ill-advised, or a matter of little consequence.
Herman Witsius says that kneeling for prayer was common in the patristic, medieval, and reformation churches, and is a becoming gesture in prayer conveying submission and reverence; Sacred Dissertations on the Lord's Prayer, p. 64-68.

Samuel Miller notes that kneeling for prayer is especially suited for private, family, and small-group prayer, but nowhere says it is necessarily unbecoming for public prayer; Thoughts on Public Prayer, p. 74-74.

Isaac Watts commends it as a venerable posture, saying that "if it might be done conveniently, it would certainly be a most agreeable posture for the worship of God in public assemblies, as well as in private families or in our secret chambers."; A Guide to Prayer, p. 100.

All these authors enjoin prostration (for private prayer), kneeling, and standing as befitting postures for prayer, but universally condemn sitting as a posture for prayer (excepting infirmity of course).

I agree about the impropriety of kneeling when taking the Lord's Supper, but I'd want to push back a bit on refusing to kneel in any context. In fact I think we are given numerous examples in Scripture which show us that kneeling for prayer in corporate worship is a commendable practice, and almost definitely preferable to sitting (Exodus 34:6-8, 1 Kings 8:54, 2 Chronicles 20:18-19, Nehemiah 8:6, Acts 20:36 etc).

It’s about 50:50 in my church congregation with regards to kneeling at the Lord’s table. I don’t kneel because I know the what the reformers stance was ;) but doubt the vast majority have any idea of the history in the Church of England (sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back