John Calvin on the ascension of Christ and the error of transubstantiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... The body of Christ was then glorious, when as he was conversant with his disciples after his resurrection. This was done by the extraordinary and secret power of God; yet, notwithstanding, the angels do forbid to desire him afterward after that sort, and they say that he shall not come unto men in that sort (before the latter day.) Therefore, according to their commandment, let us not go about to pull him out of the heavens with our own inventions; neither let us think that we call handle him with our hands, or perceive him with our other senses, more than we can see him with our eyes. I speak always of his body. For in that they say it is infinite, as it is all absurd dream, so is it safely to be rejected.

Nevertheless, I willingly confess that Christ is ascended that he may fulfill [fill] all things; but I say that he is spread abroad everywhere by the power of his Spirit, not by the substance of his flesh. I grant, furthermore, that he is present With us both in his word and in the sacraments. Neither is it to be doubted, but that all those which do with faith receive the signs of his flesh and blood, are made truly partakers of his flesh and blood.

But this partaking doth nothing agree with the dotings of the Papists; for they feign that Christ is present in such sort upon the altar as Numa Pompilius did call down his Jupiter Elicitus, or as those witches did fetch down the moon from heaven with their enchantments. But Christ, by reaching us the bread in his Supper, doth will us to lift up our hearts into heaven, that we may have life by his flesh and blood. So that we do not eat his flesh grossly, that we may live thereby, but he poureth into us, by the secret power of his Spirit, his force and strength. ...

For more, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...f-Christ-and-the-error-of-transubstantiation/

I wouldn’t be surprised, they have a lot of those types of pictures on their cover art. Makes me a little uncomfy.

Do you think they did a good job explaining it? I haven’t read much about it at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised, they have a lot of those types of pictures on their cover art. Makes me a little uncomfy.

Do you think they did a good job explaining it? I haven’t read much about it at all.

I recently read a book by Matthew Barrett with such objectionable cover art, which is a shame, as it is a really good book in every other respect. I thought that they did good job of explaining the subject in their podcast. Dr Barrett is one of the few modern theologians whose work I rate very highly.

I recently read a book by Matthew Barrett with such objectionable cover art, which is a shame, as it is a really good book in every other respect. I thought that they did good job of explaining the subject in their podcast. Dr Barrett is one of the few modern theologians whose work I rate very highly.
I think I know just what book you’re talking about. Canon, Covenant, and Christology?

I was considering reading it, so I’ll take your recommend (other than the cover art) as further motivation.

I think I know just what book you’re talking about. Canon, Covenant, and Christology?

I was considering reading it, so I’ll take your recommend (other than the cover art) as further motivation.

Yes, that book is the one. Basically, I recommend reading everything that Matthew Barrett has ever written. Why do Baptists get all the good theologians? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back