Sabbath and Seminary Graduation

erickinho1bra

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey guys,

So I go to a church that is non-Sabbatarian and that has a seminary on its campus. Their graduation ceremony is on a Lord’s Day evening in lieu of evening service and is in the main sanctuary at church.
Do you think Sabbath observance would preclude attending the graduation?

My wife and I have some dear married friends who are in seminary (the husbands, that is) and will be graduating soon. We would love to join and celebrate the symbolic “beginning of their ministry” in this ceremony but feel a little conflicted because it is on the Sabbath and attending a graduation can seem a little man-focused rather than God/worship-focused.

Take this for what it's worth. Yours is a concern I wish you didn't have; but having, I hope you can find it in your consciences to attend and support. Perhaps the event pushes the bounds of strict priority governing the Lord's Day, but given the ecclesiastical orientation of the institution, I would participate as you would and pray God's blessing. 2Chr.30:18-20; 2Ki.5:18-19.

What a blessing that God has raised up shepherds and they are being sent out to change the world! I would go and greatly rejoice, brother.

I don’t know the correct answer, but my conscience would be pricked about it as well.

Hey guys,

So I go to a church that is non-Sabbatarian and that has a seminary on its campus. Their graduation ceremony is on a Lord’s Day evening in lieu of evening service and is in the main sanctuary at church.
Do you think Sabbath observance would preclude attending the graduation?

My wife and I have some dear married friends who are in seminary (the husbands, that is) and will be graduating soon. We would love to join and celebrate the symbolic “beginning of their ministry” in this ceremony but feel a little conflicted because it is on the Sabbath and attending a graduation can seem a little man-focused rather than God/worship-focused.
"And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." - Rom 14:23

If you can't attend with a good conscience, informed by Scripture, then attendance is sin.

I would say either get a change of conscience or don't go. That does not mean if you have a change of conscience you are doing the right thing but at least as Tyler just noted, you are not going against conscience (See Gillespie Durham on this matter, will have to come back and link). When my late sister's husband got remarried there was an exchange of vows at the end of a regular morning worship service. That was fine but despite being planned with some Sabbatarian concerns, the reception was too much In my humble opinion. I wasn't consulted but if asked I would have said this was already tried by the Scottish Kirk and they soon moved away from it because it was apparently easier to hold another day than curtail the cultural otherwise fine celebratory nature of such an event to be in keeping with the Lord's Day. Would I go to another one? I would encourage a different day to be best of my ability. But there's at least an avenue there of witness to a better practice. In the case of the opening post, I don't see how one can go to an event planned by non-Sabbatarian understanding and not undermine a witness at least some way. I mean, can you witness to better practice and answer the obvious, why are you here then? That's me at least. The world is more complicated than I like it to be.

Last edited:
Non-Sabbatarian People: Plan some special event on the Lord's day (like a graduation, wedding, family celebration, etc.) with the good intention to honor the Lord in and through the event.
Sabbatarian People: "Well, I could see how if it was done this or that specific way, that it wouldn't technically violate the 4th Commandment..."

The reality is that Sabbatarians go to these events and are surrounded by those that do not really regard the day as different than any other day. Excesses abound. How is this a profitable use of the day of worship?

While granting that certain "events" could be planned and executed on the Lord's day in keeping with the duties required by the 4th Commandment, if the people planning and executing these are not Sabbatarian themselves, the likelihood of excess and outright impropriety is pretty high. If the people planning events are Sabbatarian, they will usually not plan them for the Lord's day!

Yes, and all the more so since it replaces an evening worship service. That strikes a chord with me of such vileness that even if it were lawful, that would be reason enough not to go. How could anyone expect God's pleasure on such an event to those who know better? When will people wake up to give God the glory due his name the whole of the day, instead of taking parts of it to themselves and making excuses along the way? The Lord's day is too sweet and public worship too lovely to desire such events to be on and thereby interfere with his day.

Yes, and all the more so since it replaces an evening worship service. That strikes a chord with me of such vileness that even if it were lawful, that would be reason enough not to go. How could anyone expect God's pleasure on such an event to those who know better? When will people wake up to give God the glory due his name the whole of the day, instead of taking parts of it to themselves and making excuses along the way? The Lord's day is too sweet and public worship too lovely to desire such events to be on and thereby interfere with his day.
I agree that a Sunday is a weird day to have a graduation.

2 thoughts:
1. What if the graduation is very much God-centered and worshipful?
2. Unless that person attends a church that holds an evening worship service they don't want to miss, I don't see any command in the scriptures that we as a Church have to gather in the evening. It's just interesting that you would say such a thing is vile to you, when this is totally a matter of personal preference with a Christian. If someone has freedom, why not rejoice in the freedom they walk in, so long as it is in honor of God?

Sorry, I don't want to sound critical. I guess my concern is how we as reformed people are really good at making rules the Bible doesn't, and expecting everyone to follow them.

I agree that a Sunday is a weird day to have a graduation.

2 thoughts:
2. Unless that person attends a church that holds an evening worship service they don't want to miss, I don't see any command in the scriptures that we as a Church have to gather in the evening. It's just interesting that you would say such a thing is vile to you, when this is totally a matter of personal preference with a Christian. If someone has freedom, why not rejoice in the freedom they walk in, so long as it is in honor of God?

Sorry, I don't want to sound critical. I guess my concern is how we as reformed people are really good at making rules the Bible doesn't, and expecting everyone to follow them.

But that violates the RPW, doesn't it? If that is true then it is a matter of not following rules the Bible does lay out.

1.) By that logic, you can do your common recreations and labors on the Sabbath, which I hope you do in a God-centered and worshipful way. There is a difference between specific and generic worship. The former is what we are to engage in on the Sabbath. See past threads if the language is confusing.

Or if you mean that the graduation includes acts of worship in it, then you will excuse just about anything on the Sabbath--even birthday parties--so long as there are acts of worship on it. Will these excuses hold biblically or confessionally, in which we are to spend the whole time in the public and private exercises of God's worship (which a graduation ceremony is not, though it may contain some of those actions in it) and spiritual conversation?

God's day is holy in part because we are not doing our own ways or thinking our own thoughts but are drawing near to him in our ways, words, and thoughts.

2) It is vile because it is replacing an opportunity for the public worship of God for a thing of this world. Such a person is saying by their actions: "I would rather have a graduation ceremony and celebrate this milestone in a man's life rather than gather with God's people to be in God's presence as Israel at Sinai (though not visibly), draw near to God, exalt him, hear from him, be lifted to heaven by the Spirit, and receive his blessing upon the thing he has promised his blessing and promise of his presence to." It truly is a vile thing that should be unsavory in the Christian's ears. Even if one viewed evening worship as indifferent, this is what a person is doing by their actions in replacing an opportunity for public worship that is normally there for a graduation ceremony.

Last edited:
Just curious, how do you think a seminary graduation on the Sabbath violates the RPW?

As I understand it, RPW limits the service to "the reading of the Scriptures, preaching, and hearing the Word of God, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with grace in our hearts to the Lord; as also the administration of baptism, and the Lord's supper, are all parts of religious worship of God, to be performed in obedience to him, with understanding, faith, reverence, and godly fear; moreover, solemn humiliation, with fastings, and thanksgivings, upon special occasions, ought to be used in an holy and religious manner."
(all of these have accompanying proof texts)

I mean if a graduation ceremony limits itself to these things then it would not violate the RPW, but again I asked since I may be misunderstanding how the RPW is applied.

1.) By that logic, you can do your common recreations and labors on the Sabbath, which I hope you do in a God-centered and worshipful way. There is a difference between specific and generic worship. The former is what we are to engage in on the Sabbath. See past threads if the language is confusing.

Or if you mean that the graduation includes acts of worship in it, then you will excuse just about anything on the Sabbath--even birthday parties--so long as there are acts of worship on it. Will these excuses hold biblically or confessionally, in which we are to spend the whole time in the public and private exercises of God's worship (which a graduation ceremony is not, though it may contain some of those actions in it) and spiritual conversation?

God's day is holy in part because we are not doing our own ways or thinking our own thoughts but are drawing near to him in our ways, words, and thoughts.

2) It is vile because it is replacing an opportunity for the public worship of God for a thing of this world. Such a person is saying by their actions: "I would rather have a graduation ceremony and celebrate this milestone in a man's life rather than gather with God's people to be in God's presence as Israel at Sinai (though not visibly), draw near to God, exalt him, hear from him, be lifted to heaven by the Spirit, and receive his blessing upon the thing he has promised his blessing and promise of his presence to." It truly is a vile thing that should be unsavory in the Christian's ears. Even if one viewed evening worship as indifferent, this is what a person is doing by their actions in replacing an opportunity for public worship that is normally there for a graduation ceremony.
I see what you're saying, brother. With the way the confession words it, I can see why you would come to that conclusion. I would take an exception to that part of the Westminster though in regards to how it says the entire day should be one of public and private worship. I'm not convinced that the Bible teaches that. From my perspective, I see the seminary graduation a time where Christians come together and fellowship, with thanksgiving to God. In regards to this, I would not have an issue.

But that violates the RPW, doesn't it? If that is true then it is a matter of not following rules the Bible does lay out.
I think in my opinion, that would pertain more to a formal worship service. I would see this as a graduation, but with elements of worship applied.

I would take an exception to that part of the Westminster though in regards to how it says the entire day should be one of public and private worship.
When you joined the PB I’m not sure how strictly one’s adherence to their confession of faith was questioned. Nowadays though when someone registers for membership and doesn’t make their degree of adherence clear, they are asked to clarify whether they take any exceptions to the WCF or LBCF on the Sabbath, as well as on a couple of other areas. If they do take an exception or are unclear, they’ve normally advised to study a bit more and reapply when they can confirm.

Everyone who joins the PB must check a little box promising not to advocate for unconfessional views.
I don’t think you’re advocating, but for anyone holding a view contrary to one’s confession of faith it’s best to refrain from announcing it.

When you joined the PB I’m not sure how strictly one’s adherence to their confession of faith was questioned. Nowadays though when someone registers for membership and doesn’t make their degree of adherence clear, they are asked to clarify whether they take any exceptions to the WCF or LBCF on the Sabbath, as well as on a couple of other areas. If they do take an exception or are unclear, they’ve normally advised to study a bit more and reapply when they can confirm.

Everyone who joins the PB must check a little box promising not to advocate for unconfessional views.
I don’t think you’re advocating, but for anyone holding a view contrary to one’s confession of faith it’s best to refrain from announcing it.
Thank you. That is true. In the life of our church and presbytery, it's normal and allowable to take certain exceptions, and I guess it's easy to take that for granted. On the Board though, there's much more expectation for a strict adherence. Which I understand because such strict adherence is a minority position now, and this is a safe place for those who hold to it and don't want that compromised.

Back