Amazon, Christians and the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thankful for faithful PCA ministers like Drs. Pipa and Strain who were interviewed. I pray that the Lord convicts and stirs up the feckless on this issue to as great and greater faithfulness in declaring the Word of God on the subject of the Lord's Day or Christian Sabbath. If you take delivery from Amazon, edit your profile there to say you don't want Sunday deliveries. Otherwise, you are helping to make this happen. https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...ery-christian-sabbatarian-driver-lawsuit.html

We have no-Sundays selected, but still get Sunday deliveries sometimes. At least where I live, all it seems to mean is that they won't go out of their way to get us a package on Sunday. But if they're going to the neighbor's house anyway, it seems they will go ahead and bring ours too while they're in the area.

We have no-Sundays selected, but still get Sunday deliveries sometimes. At least where I live, all it seems to mean is that they won't go out of their way to get us a package on Sunday. But if they're going to the neighbor's house anyway, it seems they will go ahead and bring ours too while they're in the area.
Same thing happens to me. I even go select specific days when checking out. Then I get an email, "hey guess what, your package is coming early". I truly do think they go out of their way to grieve the Lord.

I don't have Amazon, nor shop on it often, but it's not just them who are delivering on Sundays--I've had UPS and FedEx both leave packages on my doorstep then too.
My newspaper also won't deliver on every day but Sunday--it's all or nothing, to my sorrow.

Of course, it's not just the day of delivery that involves Sabbath work. A package delivered on Monday was already in transit on the Lord's Day, adding to the dilemma of how to not participate in 24/7 commerce.

I selected no Sunday deliveries on Amazon and have not received a delivery since. But the problem is a lot of companies now deliver on Sunday and you can't control it.

I remember reading about how once the Lord's Day Alliance lobbied and got an end to Sunday mail delivery. Now for only for it to come back.

I selected no Sunday deliveries on Amazon and have not received a delivery since. But the problem is a lot of companies now deliver on Sunday and you can't control it.

I remember reading about how once the Lord's Day Alliance lobbied and got an end to Sunday mail delivery. Now for only for it to come back.
Admittedly out of ignorance or downright stupidity I have profaned the Sabbath more times than I can count. I can now say that the Lord is working to show my foolish heart the necessity of the Sabbath and how to keep it holy. For example, my recent work schedule is insane from Mon-Sat. I have no choice but to see the Lord's Day as an "ark" of sorts. I am definitely receiving some well needed discipline at this moment. Praise God.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I don't have Amazon, nor shop on it often, but it's not just them who are delivering on Sundays--I've had UPS and FedEx both leave packages on my doorstep then too.
Well, Amazon mostly uses these companies, or the postal service, to do its shipping, so technically they are the ones making the deliveries. I have a friend who makes deliveries for UPS. Most of the packages come from Amazon. He says that, so far, in our local office drivers can volunteer to make Sunday deliveries if they want extra work. He doesn't work Sundays because he's in church—and his boss is fine with that. But as with many businesses, that may be changing.

Well, Amazon mostly uses these companies, or the postal service, to do its shipping, so technically they are the ones making the deliveries. I have a friend who makes deliveries for UPS. Most of the packages come from Amazon. He says that, so far, in our local office drivers can volunteer to make Sunday deliveries if they want extra work. He doesn't work Sundays because he's in church—and his boss is fine with that. But as with many businesses, that may be changing.
In my area only Amazon direct does Sunday deliveries, so maybe that's why they're able to honor my request to honor on Sundays.

We can only do what we can do. Even mail drops on Monday may travel over into the next week using slow rates for books. But because we can't help it 100 percent doesn't mean we shouldn't try to best ability; so for instance I do try not to mail late in the week. And if I do use Amazon, which I hate more and more to do, I use whatever rate I need to avoid the weekend.

I just read the Christianity Today article in question, which is very useful at highlighting the problem. I cancelled my Amazon Prime account a couple of days ago for other reasons, as deliveries on the Lord's Day are not an issue here for now, but I think the Sunday deliveries question points to a wider problem with how Amazon treats at least some of its employees.

I'm thankful for faithful PCA ministers like Drs. Pipa and Strain who were interviewed. I pray that the Lord convicts and stirs up the feckless on this issue to as great and greater faithfulness in declaring the Word of God on the subject of the Lord's Day or Christian Sabbath. If you take delivery from Amazon, edit your profile there to say you don't want Sunday deliveries. Otherwise, you are helping to make this happen.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I was not aware there was such an option.

Here you go, brother. Enjoy
emoji108.png
https://www.techadvisor.com/ho...on-weekend-deliveries-3673234/
The link wouldn't work for me...

As a truck driver, I just wanted to say, almost anything you have purchased in a store has been in transport on the Sabbath. As I am in the wood industry, most of my deliveries are to papermills. My company hauls wood chips and landscaping barks, and shuttles paper pulp back and forth seven days a week at a local papermill. This particular papermill produces the highest amount of paper for books and the like in the United States (at least that's what they claim). Most papermills are probably running 24/7. That means boxes, paper, general packaging, toilet paper, and even diapers (how they absorb so well) are produced every day of the week.

I'm not saying it's not a worthy effort to avoid things on the Sabbath. But Amazon isn't the problem. Really you would never know if and when something had been in transport on the Sabbath.

As a truck driver, I just wanted to say, almost anything you have purchased in a store has been in transport on the Sabbath. As I am in the wood industry, most of my deliveries are to papermills. My company hauls wood chips and landscaping barks, and shuttles paper pulp back and forth seven days a week at a local papermill. This particular papermill produces the highest amount of paper for books and the like in the United States (at least that's what they claim). Most papermills are probably running 24/7. That means boxes, paper, general packaging, toilet paper, and even diapers (how they absorb so well) are produced every day of the week.

I'm not saying it's not a worthy effort to avoid things on the Sabbath. But Amazon isn't the problem. Really you would never know if and when something had been in transport on the Sabbath.
Also, anything brought by ship, including cars and everything foreign, was in transit on the Lord's Day at some point. It's not like you can just stop a ship on the Sabbath mid-ocean and drift around till Monday. But necessity is one thing, Amazon Prime is another....

Also, anything brought by ship, including cars and everything foreign, was in transit on the Lord's Day at some point. It's not like you can just stop a ship on the Sabbath mid-ocean and drift around till Monday. But necessity is one thing, Amazon Prime is another....
I do think that's a nice option to not get deliveries on Sundays. I've only ever had one Sunday delivery while I was at church. It was surprising to see the package there when we got home. I may use that Amazon feature myself.

When I started driving, I was convinced by a church friend I needed to do long haul to get my time in. So I did. Spent 8 months before I couldn't take it anymore. I would've gotten out sooner, but didn't know how. Last run was 5 weeks straight of not seeing my family. Horrible. The point is, when you're out there driving your time isn't really your own. You are on a schedule, and at the mercy of your dispatch and don't always have the option to not work, Sundays included. Many Sundays went by where I was by myself in the truck with no way to even visit another church. Those were bad days for me.

If you are ever near a truck stop on a Sunday, look in where the trucks park. It's probably empty in there. Because the drivers are off to work.

Can someone please walk me through how I can prevent Amazon from delivering on the Lord’s Day? I just went on the app and I can’t figure out how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

I'm thankful for faithful PCA ministers like Drs. Pipa and Strain who were interviewed. I pray that the Lord convicts and stirs up the feckless on this issue to as great and greater faithfulness in declaring the Word of God on the subject of the Lord's Day or Christian Sabbath. If you take delivery from Amazon, edit your profile there to say you don't want Sunday deliveries. Otherwise, you are helping to make this happen. https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...ery-christian-sabbatarian-driver-lawsuit.html
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Changes have been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back