Rural Presbyterian churches in MO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly

Puritan Board Freshman
For several reasons my dh and I are seriously considering moving to North Missouri. I have a lot of family between KC and the Iowa line. The problem is that I can only find Presbyterian churches around KC and St Louis.

Up around Milan, Trenton etc there are Methodist and Catholic churches and a lot of Amish. I didn't remember any Presbyterian ones and I sure can't find any.

How large of a population does it require before a church plant is started? I'm not looking forward to driving 2-3 hours to go to church. At this point I would even consider PCUSA. I found a website that says they have 76 churches between Iowa and the Ozarks; I just can't find the listing of churches.

I found the listing but it's nowhere near 76. There is a PCUSA in Trenton, MO. I don't know for sure if we are going to go that far north.

Any help would be appreciated. I guess if we don't find anything we'll gather around the computer and listen to online sermons.:) It'll be like being new to farming: you either get strong or die:lol:

shelly

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by shelly]

Shelly,

try this:

http://www.naparc.org/

As I recall, there's not much in the way of Reformed Christianity between St Joe and Iowa.

If you have or can find a core group (8-12 families?) you might be able to attract some interest from the RCUS or OPC or PCA. The nearest URC is in So. Kansas City. There is an RCUS north of the river in KC (not far from the airport, W. of I-29). There is a PCA north of the river now too. There's an OPC in Lincoln, Neb. There is an RP congregation in No. Kansas (Winchester).

I don't know of any NAPARC congregations in So. Iowa or No, Missouri. There is an independent predestinarian Baptist congregation in St Joe.

They identify with the Founders movement here:
http://www.founders.org/misc/chlist/MO.html

rsc

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by R. Scott Clark]

looks like the RP church in Clarinda might be the best choice.

I didn't know about this one. Those RP's are everywhere!

It's only 50 miles from Rock Port to Clarinda. You can buy fireworks on Sat and sing Psalms on the Sabbath as God meant them to be sung. :D

rsc

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by R. Scott Clark]

Yep, the State of Misery is full of bapticostals, anabaptists, messianics, and every other arminian group...not much in the way of reformed...too bad you are not closer to StL...then you could head to Twin Oaks PCA.

I also know of Lake Road Chapel a "Sovereign Grace" Baptist congregation in Kirksville, MO. I've had the pleasure of hearing their pastor, Charles Leiter, preach several times.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
I also know of Lake Road Chapel a "Sovereign Grace" Baptist congregation in Kirksville, MO. I've had the pleasure of hearing their pastor, Charles Leiter, preach several times.

We're not really sure whether we will settle above or below Cameron, MO. If we go south of Cameron then we will go the 2 hours to KC. If we go east or north of Cameron then we will try out the Lake Road Chapel and that would still be 1 1/2 - 2 hours away.

My husband said we could have a Bible study at our house. Maybe after a while a pastor would come. There are plenty of empty churches in the area that could probably be bought, some even have air conditioning.

I've been thinking more and more about north Missouri in the last year. It really is a mission field in the heart of America. I just keep thinking about it. We've been willing and almost went to China and Texas. China was actually an easier decision than Texas because it would have only been for 2 years.

I love the mountains and believe it or not that's the thing I hold on to the most. I love where we live or at least could once we sell our "city" house and move out to the country. I love hiking to waterfalls less than an hours drive from my house. I could live here forever and never get tired of it, but I have to keep letting go of it. It's funny how God's beautiful mountains so easily become my idol. Each time we contemplate moving, it's the mountains that I won't have anymore that I have to give up to God. Each time it gets easier.

I'd love to go back to MO even though there are no mountains anywhere near. I left at 18 and said I was never coming back, and now I really want to.

I wouldn't go to IA because I don't intend to live that close to the line. KC would be just as close and I have family there too.

Thanks for the help so far. If anyone has any more info then that would be great!

shelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back