Reincarnation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis1963

Puritan Board Freshman
On another forum I have been in a discussion with some other so-called Christians. A couple insist on reincarnation. Here is part of the dialog:

Instead of being rude, I suggest that you take it up with Jesus. I fully expect, however, that you will deny Jesus' words in favor of what your establishment had indoctrinated you to say. Anyway, I shall present you with the following. Accept it or deny what Jesus said. You only have two choices.

Jesus said that John the Baptist was Elijah. In other words the soul that lived a life as Elijah also lived a life as John the Baptist. Nothing could be clearer.

* "This is the one ... there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist.... And if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who was to come. He who has ears, let him hear." (Matthew 11:11-15).

Elijah returned in the body of John the Baptist.
This could not be clearer and the actual words of Jesus.

Jesus, referring to John the Baptist, said "This IS Elijah" (autos esti Helias). He did not say "This is someone like Elijah" or "someone preaching Elijah's message". He said "this IS Elijah" who has returned as promised by the prophets. He also added "if you are willing to accept it…",

Apparently many people are NOT "willing to accept" Jesus' words!

Are you willing to accept it?
Another by the same person:
Originally Posted by Truthquest View Post
Yes, of course it is. Only those who do not wish to see, cannot see it.

False.

We return to learn lessons and mature spiritually. I think that most of us here would agree that we need to mature spiritually and have many lessons to learn. It also provides opportunities to hear the Gospel of Jesus the Christ.
It is very clear from John 3:16 and John 14:6

* ...whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Jesus saith ... no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Reincarnation is essential if you believe John 3:16 and John 14:6 (quoted above)

Now, I totally disagree with reincarnation. But, I cant for the life of me see how anyone could use these texts to support it, it just don't click. Usually people have something which might make a bit of sense?

One other person posted this:
while aknowledging existence of reincarnation, I understand that reincarnation does not
exist apart from Karma. I do not want to reincarnate. I do not wany to be in the physical world any longer than required. I want to be in Spiritual world where the Father is. I want to stop the Karmic cycle as soon as possible.

Job 1:21
He said,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked I shall return there.

I would think that Job 1:21 has another meaning, as if Job was pointing to the groung when saying this.

Thoughts, comments?

Right...Jesus also said he is a door. He said he is the light. He didn't mean he is a piece of rectangular wood with hinges and a handle.

-----Added 6/23/2009 at 01:22:21 EST-----

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart. [c]
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."
NIV

Dynamic tranlations can be helpful with passages like this. He is saying I came into the world with nothing and I will leave this world with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back