Reformed Historical Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInquirer

Puritan Board Junior
I am trying to create a search template in Logos that would include major thinkers that contributed to the development of Reformed theology throughout church history going back to the Church Fathers. If you are familiar with Logos, I am creating collections by author (when an author has a substantial amount of writing) and period when it is better to lump many others together (i.e. church fathers).

I am mainly looking for authors that make major contributions as I don't want to include every Reformed author from church history. Also looking for authors who wrote fairly broadly rather than a few key treatises thus I tend to favor systematicians.

I am envisioning using this template primarily to search on key head words of theology (i.e. "atonement") to trace historical development using primary sources.

Here is what I have so far:

Pre-Reformation
- Anti-Nicene and Post-Nicene Church Fathers (Scahff's volumes, up to 6th century)
- Augustine (breaking out Augustine from Schaff due to adding some of my more modern translations of his works)
- Anselm
- Aquinas? (predestination, doctrine of God, etc.)

Reformation
- Martin Luther
- John Calvin
- John Knox
- John Owen

Post-Reformation
- Wilhelmus a Brakel
- Jonathan Edwards
- Herman Bavinck
- B. B. Warfield
- Louis Berkhof
- Geerhardus Vos

Uncertain whether these are worth adding as I haven't spent much time with their work to know how unique their contributions:

- Bernard of Clairvaux
- Richard of St. Victor
- Peter Lombard
- Zwingli
- Bullinger
- Beza
- Peter Martyr Vermigli
- William Perkins
- Herman Witsius (anything else major besides Economy of the Covenants?)
- John Gill
- Abraham Kuyper
-W.G.T. Shedd
- Charles Hodge
- R.L. Dabney

If you think a name should be added, if you don't mind mentioning their unique contribution to Reformed Theology that would be a help to my project. Thanks.

Last edited:
Herman Witsius (anything else major besides Economy of the Covenants?)
Just a quick thought as I don't have much time to respond. Economy of the Covenants is a must. "Sacred Dissertations on the Apostle's Creed and the Lord's Prayer" are also worth having if they are available for Logos. If not, definitely get them in print.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back