Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAway

Puritan Board Freshman
How do we determine if something is a biblical principle like in the book of Proverbs, or a biblical promise? I've done a good bit of digging around on the web and can't really find anything to satisfy exactly what I'm looking for. From what I've seen most people believe Proverbs are just principles, and I'm not saying I disagree with that. The problem I am having is how can I be sure when another verse of scripture or passage isn't just a principle and how to interpret and apply it to my life? I've seen plenty of opinions and reasons for why we should interpret it as one or the other, but no real solid hermeneutical method or anything like that. I found where one person said if there is a condition attached to it then it's a promise. That seems logical but some of the Proverbs do the same thing. Just trying to get my head around this..

Last edited:
One key aspect of a promise is God binding himself by means of the words: “I shall; I will; by myself I swear,” etc.

Context, context, context. Rather than looking for some telltale signal within the sentence or verse in question, it's often more helpful to look around and understand it in context.

Immediate context. Is the surrounding passage trying to teach us non-negotiable promises of God, or is the author presenting general wisdom for a godly life? Is he giving instruction he expects will be obeyed, period, or is he giving advice he hopes will be pondered? Is he prescriptively giving a rule that applies to all cases, or is he merely describing what happened in one particular incident? Look the author's purpose in the surrounding chapter before you decide the application of a single verse.

Book-level context. What is the genre of the book as a whole? Would you call it a book of general wisdom and proverbs, or is it an epistle that explains unchangeable doctrines of God or gives firm commands? Or is it an historical account giving commands and promises that apply in one way to the hearers at that time but in a somewhat different way to us today? What is the major theological thrust of the book, and does your interpretation of the verse in question line up with that overall thrust?

Whole-Scripture context. What does the rest of the Bible say about the matter? Given all of Scripture, does it fit best to take this particular verse as a sure promise or as a general principle?

Context, context, context. Rather than looking for some telltale signal within the sentence or verse in question, it's often more helpful to look around and understand it in context.

Immediate context. Is the surrounding passage trying to teach us non-negotiable promises of God, or is the author presenting general wisdom for a godly life? Is he giving instruction he expects will be obeyed, period, or is he giving advice he hopes will be pondered? Is he prescriptively giving a rule that applies to all cases, or is he merely describing what happened in one particular incident? Look the author's purpose in the surrounding chapter before you decide the application of a single verse.

Book-level context. What is the genre of the book as a whole? Would you call it a book of general wisdom and proverbs, or is it an epistle that explains unchangeable doctrines of God or gives firm commands? Or is it an historical account giving commands and promises that apply in one way to the hearers at that time but in a somewhat different way to us today? What is the major theological thrust of the book, and does your interpretation of the verse in question line up with that overall thrust?

Whole-Scripture context. What does the rest of the Bible say about the matter? Given all of Scripture, does it fit best to take this particular verse as a sure promise or as a general principle?
More great points. Thanks..

The clue is in the name of the book: it's the Book of Proverbs, not the Book of Promises. Proverbs by their very nature are partial generalizations of reality. It takes wisdom to know which is the right proverb to quote in each situation: is this a "He who hesitates is lost" or a "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" situation? That's why you can have seemingly contradictory proverbs next to each other (Prov. 26:4-5). There are also proverbs outside the book, so it is a question of recognizing the genre. And of course, some proverbs fit almost any situation (e.g. Prov 1:7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back