Question for English experts regarding format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
For section and paragraph we use, § and ¶, respectively.

If we are using them in plural do we double them like we do with pages (pp) or verses (vv)? Would it be §§ and ¶¶? If not, then how do we refer to plural paragraphs and sections?

Thanks,

For section and paragraph we use, § and ¶, respectively.

If we are using them in plural do we double them like we do with pages (pp) or verses (vv)? Would it be §§ and ¶¶? If not, then how do we refer to plural paragraphs and sections?

Thanks,

Yes, this is how lawyers do it, at least.

I was thinking ¶s, but totally as a guess. I googled pluralized pilcrows and couldn't find anything...

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 02:35:09 EST-----

Ok. So this is from some manual where I think they are giving rules to their own company, not like an MLA. But they say that if you are citing two paragraphs, you write:
"(see ¶ 5.1 and ¶ 5.2)"
But if it is more than two, you write:
"(see ¶¶ 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3)"

If you follow the link, see page 8 of the PDF. Or to be more precise;)
§ 4-22.

It does address sections, too, but not pluralized. I'd follow the same ¶ rule, probably.

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 02:35:55 EST-----

thanks for exercising my brain!

Just to ease your fears, Joe, lawyers are not the only ones who do this. So do pastors, scholars, and other researchers who use proper citation.

I was thinking ¶s, but totally as a guess. I googled pluralized pilcrows and couldn't find anything...

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 02:35:09 EST-----

Ok. So this is from some manual where I think they are giving rules to their own company, not like an MLA. But they say that if you are citing two paragraphs, you write:
"(see ¶ 5.1 and ¶ 5.2)"
But if it is more than two, you write:
"(see ¶¶ 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3)"

If you follow the link, see page 8 of the PDF. Or to be more precise;)
§ 4-22.

It does address sections, too, but not pluralized. I'd follow the same ¶ rule, probably.

-----Added 5/27/2009 at 02:35:55 EST-----

thanks for exercising my brain!

:confused::confused: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back