Question about a song sung in modern churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
There is an uninspired hymn being sung in alot of churches today called "God beyond all Names"...

The repeated chorus of the song says the following "All around us, we have known you; all creation lives to hold you, In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth. "

What in the world does "In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth" mean?

Of course Not all of creation lives to hold him either... The reprobate does not live to hold God.... But that is a side point for the moment... I am just trying to figure out what they mean we are living and dying we are bring you to birth mean?

:confused:

Michael, you'd have to ask the person who authored the lyrics. Honestly, I have no idea.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Of course as an EP I already deem it wrong to sing in church.. Of course I was trying to judge the merits of listening to it outside of worship since it had an interesting melody... But the Lyrics are somewhat shocking and not sure what to make of them....

Who cares what it means? Just get caught up in the emotion.

I believe the title is "God beyond all Names"

My cousin is a song leader for a modern contemporary church which has utilized this song and he said it was big all over the country....

I know, my cousin and I have completely diverged in theology since we were children... He went arminian, Dispensational, contemporary, and sensational... And I, well I went the other way..... :cool:

Which song is this, anyway?

My cousin is a song leader for a modern contemporary church which has utilized this song and he said it was big all over the country....

I know, my cousin and I have completely diverged in theology since we were children... He went arminian, Dispensational, contemporary, and sensational... And I, well I went the other way..... :cool:

Oops, I see that you mentioned the title in the OP. Do you know who the author is?

I am not really sure.... I could ask my cousin but I might not get a hold of him for a few days....

Oops, I see that you mentioned the title in the OP. Do you know who the author is?

"All around us, we have known you; all creation lives to hold you, In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth. "

Sounds to me like someone who wants a relationship not "doctrine" writing a touchy feely song that talks about the giant part we play in God's life as if he needs us somehow. I don't have the slightest idea as to what the lyrics mean, but I bet it has some really moving instrumental accompanyment.

Sounds almost first century Gregorian chant like....

"All around us, we have known you; all creation lives to hold you, In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth. "

Sounds to me like someone who wants a relationship not "doctrine" writing a touchy feely song that talks about the giant part we play in God's life as if he needs us somehow. I don't have the slightest idea as to what the lyrics mean, but I bet it has some really moving instrumental accompanyment.

Sounds almost first century Gregorian chant like....

Gregorian chant didn't exist until the middle ages. Regardless, I hope that anything chanted in the 1st century was better than this!

Mr Google says:

Bernadette Farrell’s “God Beyond All Names” (OCP)
I was wondering if Mr. Google could help me find an mp3 sample. Nothing yet, but he did give tell me this about Bernadette Farrell:
Bernadette Farrell is one of Britain's leading liturgical composers, a former member of the St. Thomas More Group in London, and an acclaimed pastoral musician.

Since the 1970s, she has been a leader in the renewal of Catholic worship both in the United Kingdom and abroad.​

Michael, yeah...but you've got the hat! :lol:

What in the world does "In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth" mean?
Bummer! I thought I'd found an answer to your question on a blog:

This was one of them. We sang it again last Sunday for the first time in months, and sure enough my throat started tightening and my eyes prickled. I quelled it pretty well, but...you know....well, it is a lovely sentiment. "In our living and our dying, we are bringing you to birth. Hm.​

It doesn't go on to explain, though, the meaning that caused the reaction.

This song is about the universal gospel. Here's the complete text:

God, beyond our dreams, you have stirred in us a mem'ry; you have placed your pow'rful spirit in the hearts of humankind:

God, beyond all names, you have made us in your image; we are like you, we reflect you; we are woman, we are man

God, beyond all words, all creation tells your story; you have shaken with our laughter, you have trembled with our tears

God, beyond all time, you are laboring within us; we are moving, we are changing in your spirit ever new.

God of tender care, you have cradled us in goodness, you have mothered us in wholeness, you have loved us into birth

All around us we have known you all creation lives to hold you.
In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth.

This was written in 1990 and is in the OCP hymnal.

WHAT is a Catholic Hymn doing being sung in Evangelical Circles...... :eek:

and Universal Atonement for that Matter...

How sad..... I will have to be gentle on how to say this to my cousin....

This song is about the universal gospel. Here's the complete text:

God, beyond our dreams, you have stirred in us a mem'ry; you have placed your pow'rful spirit in the hearts of humankind:

God, beyond all names, you have made us in your image; we are like you, we reflect you; we are woman, we are man

God, beyond all words, all creation tells your story; you have shaken with our laughter, you have trembled with our tears

God, beyond all time, you are laboring within us; we are moving, we are changing in your spirit ever new.

God of tender care, you have cradled us in goodness, you have mothered us in wholeness, you have loved us into birth

All around us we have known you all creation lives to hold you.
In our living and our dying we are bringing you to birth.

This was written in 1990 and is in the OCP hymnal.

This is the God of scripture??? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back